Testing NDK libraries on Googlebooks?

42 views
Skip to first unread message

John Dallman

unread,
Sep 21, 2026, 5:21:45 AM (11 days ago) Sep 21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
Since Googlebook OS is apparently Android, I'm wondering about using them for testing my NDK libraries. Does this make any sense? 

The key feature of Googlebooks for this is larger RAM than any normal Android device: the HP device apparently has a 12-core Snapdragon X Elite and 32GB RAM. My libraries are produced for lots of platforms - Windows, Linux and macOS, iOS and Android - with data interchangeable across all of them. Memory consumption for the testing is strongly data-dependent, and I have some test cases - created on servers, rather than Android devices - which don't fit onto my current Android devices. 

If I can treat an ARM-based Googlebook as a large and powerful Android device, use ADB to talk to it from my Linux development host, and can find one which takes power on a different connection from the USB to the host, it seems ideal for my purposes. 

What am I neglecting? 

Thanks,

John 

enh

unread,
Sep 21, 2026, 11:14:10 AM (10 days ago) Sep 21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
it's probably not a good choice for anyone testing ui stuff, but i
think for the kind of form factor-independent "middleware" code you've
described in the past, it should be fine. (certainly historically i've
always tested that kind of code on "the meatiest tablet available to
me" --- the greater thermal dissipation is handy for running lots of
heavy tests as quickly as possible too :-) )
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "android-ndk" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to android-ndk...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/android-ndk/CAH1xqgkJhXk5C7jA6W78TU1uNa_FS58UosH3tszNevCwWM%2BReA%40mail.gmail.com.

John Dallman

unread,
Sep 21, 2026, 12:19:45 PM (10 days ago) Sep 21
to andro...@googlegroups.com
> it's probably not a good choice for anyone testing ui stuff, but I think for the kind of form 
> factor-independent "middleware" code you've described in the past, it should be fine.

Yup, the software I'd be testing doesn't have a user interface. That's good news, now I need more details for the actual vendors. 

Thanks,

John 


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages