Confused about versions

1 view

Brion Emde

Mar 25, 2010, 10:19:17 PM3/25/10
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Hi, I'm new on the group. I just got my Dev Phone 1 today.

I successfully updated it to V1.6, which I was surprised to find is
the latest version available. Do I need to build the software to get
later versions?

Specifically, I want to do Bluetooth development, and unless I'm very
confused (always possible), I need API level 5 to get the Bluetooth
capability.

Which leads to the ultimate dumb question. Why is there bluetooth on a
phone that doesn't support bluetooth?

Thanks.

lbcoder

Mar 26, 2010, 1:52:44 PM3/26/10
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Where did you get the idea that you need api level 5 for functional
BT?
BT has been there from the beginning.

As for versions later than 1.6... well HTC seems to have completely
dropped support for 32B devices (including ALL DREAM and SOME MAGIC).
So off to build you go!

Brion Emde

Mar 26, 2010, 2:01:25 PM3/26/10
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Hi,

I guess I got that idea from this page in the API Reference:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/bluetooth/package-summary.html

That says: "Since API Level 5". Is there an earlier bluetooth api that
I'm missing?

Thank you for responding. I was resisting the impulse to kick myself.

Shawn Brown

Mar 26, 2010, 8:05:56 PM3/26/10
to android-devp...@googlegroups.com
> Where did you get the idea that you need api level 5 for functional
> BT?
> BT has been there from the beginning.

No it hasn't. No it hasn't. No it hasn't.

Google said BT would be there. HTC said BT would be there.

All you can do it listen to music.

For full functionality you could try
http://code.google.com/p/backport-android-bluetooth/

Or you could use bluecove

http://groups.google.com/group/bluecove-developers/msg/847f714034b34126

Shawn

Brion Emde

Mar 26, 2010, 8:22:18 PM3/26/10
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Thanks Scott. That's what I found also.

I ended up making arrangements to return the phone.

I think the whole pitch for these phones is misleading and ought to be
redone. It's stupid not have up to date phone.

On Mar 26, 6:05 pm, Shawn Brown <big.coffee.lo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Where did you get the idea that you need api level 5 for functional
> > BT?
> > BT has been there from the beginning.
>
> No it hasn't.  No it hasn't. No it hasn't.
>
> Google said BT would be there.  HTC said BT would be there.
>
> All you can do it listen to music.
>

> For full functionality you could tryhttp://code.google.com/p/backport-android-bluetooth/

Brion Emde

Mar 26, 2010, 8:22:59 PM3/26/10