Archive Does Not Contain "boot.sig"

mikefletcher

Mar 9, 2009, 6:28:56 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
I cannot get the image to work. It cannot find some ".sig" files? I
just downloaded it. I am using a normal ADP1 on windows. I have
never put any 3rd party firmwares on the device.

C:\a> fastboot update signed-dream_devphone-img-130444.zip
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
< waiting for device >

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 9, 2009, 6:33:10 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know the lack of *.sig shouldn't stop the fastboot update process.

My best bet is that fastboot cannot "see" your device. Does "fastboot
reboot" reboot your phone, or does is also complain that it's waiting
for a device?

JBQ
--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Android Engineer, Google.

warning.

David Walters

Mar 9, 2009, 6:49:01 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
I've got the same problem with fastboot <waiting for device>, for a
update or reboot. "fastboot devices" just returns a blank line.

I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit and have an ADP1 which hasn't been
previously flashed.

David
--
Sent from PDP-11

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 9, 2009, 6:59:47 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Does adb normally work for you on that machine?

JBQ

David Walters

Mar 9, 2009, 7:01:29 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Yes and the radio firmware update with adb was fine.

David
--
Sent from my PDP-11

Torsten

Mar 9, 2009, 7:05:52 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Hi, I have the same problem.

Running WinXP 32-bit.

adb runs fine, even the radio firmware update ran fine.

If I rund fastboot devices. No device is listed. Installed the USB
Driver of the SDK 1.1, but the problem remains.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 9, 2009, 7:08:30 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Obviously, this isn't an isolated incident. I'm looking into it.

JBQ

Vlado Handziski

Mar 9, 2009, 7:37:32 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
The problem is that fastboot uses different device ID than adb.

One needs to add a new line in the udev rules, just the same as for
adb, only with 0c01. My 50-android.rules looks like:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb",ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4",ATTR{idProduct}=="0c02",SYMLINK
+="android_adb"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb",ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4",ATTR{idProduct}=="0c01",SYMLINK
+="android_fastboot"

However, I have myself hit a problem after this step:

[hanjo@localhost tools]$ fastboot update ~/downloads/signed-
dream_devphone-img-130444.zip
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
Bootloader Version...: 0.95.3000
Baseband Version.....: 1.22.14.11
Serial Number........: HT845GZ52291
checking product... OKAY
checking serialno... OKAY
checking version-baseband... OKAY
checking version-bootloader... FAILED (status read failed (Protocol
error))

Any hints?

Vlado

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 9, 2009, 7:42:57 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmmm - does this happen consistently? fastboot is able to talk to
your device, but something goes wrong at some point :(

This step works fine on my test device, but I have a slightly
different bootloader so I can't exactly reproduce your setup.

JBQ

Vlado Handziski

Mar 9, 2009, 7:49:55 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Yes. it was an USB issue. Once I used a cable with a ferrite core,
everything went smoothly.

At this point, I just want to express my thanks for your support to
the dev community, and delivering on your promise!

Vlado

Brad

Mar 9, 2009, 8:23:13 PM3/9/09

On Mar 9, 4:49 pm, Vlado Handziski <vlado.handzi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. it was an USB issue. Once I used a cable with a ferrite core,
> everything went smoothly.

sometimes when you go thru an external usb hub, it causes problems.

Kash

Mar 9, 2009, 9:57:36 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
i'm having the same problem :(
i can hear vista connect to the phone,
fastboot devices does nothing
and updating the phone just says waiting for device

mikefletcher

Mar 9, 2009, 9:59:40 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
> My best bet is that fastboot cannot "see" your device. Does "fastboot
> reboot" reboot your phone, or does is also complain that it's waiting
> for a device?
fastboot reboot did not reboot my phone. adb has worked very well for
me. I have been able to debug on that windows machine.

I'm trying this out on my Linux box.

Kash

Mar 9, 2009, 10:07:10 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
ahh found out what the problem was!

Found the below from
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=486667
just use the new drivers from 1.1

It was driving me nuts, but I finally figured it out. For those of you
with Root access who are having trouble with your PC recognizing your
G1 in Fastboot mode, here are the steps you need to take.

1. Go to Device Manager and uninstall any drivers you have installed
related to the G1 (or Dream) device.
2. Unplug your phone from the PC and start it up your phone in
Bootloader mode (power+camera buttons)
3. You will see Serial0 in the middle along with the 3 skateboarding
androids along the bottom
4. Plug your phone into the PC and press the back key until you see
Fastboot in the middle.
5. Here's the TRICK: Push the camera button which will return you to
Serial0 mode.
6. Then push the back button to get into Fastboot mode
7. Go into Device Manager and then into Universal Serial Bus
Controllers and you should see USB Mass Storage Device
8. Then click on Update Drivers and follow the directions that are on
other parts of this site for updating the Dream Drivers

You should be good to go.
back button to get to Fastboot, push the camera button to return to
Serial0, then push the back button again to return it to Fastboot in
order for it to be recognized.

Believe me, I was going nuts because I knew the solution was something
simple!

Good luck and thanks to everyone for all their good and hard work! :)

On Mar 9, 8:59 pm, mikefletcher <michaeledwardfletc...@gmail.com>

mikefletcher

Mar 9, 2009, 10:22:03 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
> I'm trying this out on my Linux box.

I was able to get it to work on Linux but it was finicky.

I *think* it was to do with the order of when you plug in the usb and
when you run ./fastboot.

What worked was
1. Unplug everything.
2. Reboot into fastboot.
3. Plug in USB cable.
4. Run ./fastboot devices or ./fastboot update

What I WAS doing was pluging in the USB and then booting into
fastboot.

I also found that if I unplugged the USB after having started fastboot
it didn't worked. I seemed to have one shot at this.

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 9, 2009, 10:31:28 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
All right, we've got a theory.

It looks like the fastboot interface of the 0.95.3000 bootloader uses
the same USB ID as the mass storage interface as exposed from Android,
and that this count confuse Windows into believing that the dream in
fastboot mode is a (defective) mass-storage device.

I'm being told that the following steps (on Windows XP) might fix the issue:

1. Boot device into fastboot, connect to PC
2. Navigate to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device
Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers
a. Observe that there is a USB Mass Storage Device there
3. Right-click USB Mass Storage Device and select Uninstall
4. Windows then prompts with with New Hardware Found Wizard. Pointed
this to the USB driver included in the SDK

JBQ

Crawf

Mar 9, 2009, 11:40:59 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Doesn't work for me. When Power + Back gives me a screen that says
Serial10, when the device is unplugged which changes to fastboot when
I plug it in. When I run the fastboot I get <waiting for device> I
have installed and uninstalled the driver from the new sdk several
times. Cheers.

On Mar 9, 10:31 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> All right, we've got a theory.
>
> It looks like the fastboot interface of the 0.95.3000 bootloader uses
> the same USB ID as the mass storage interface as exposed from Android,
> and that this count confuse Windows into believing that the dream in
> fastboot mode is a (defective) mass-storage device.
>
> I'm being told that the following steps (on Windows XP) might fix the issue:
>
> 1. Boot device into fastboot, connect to PC
> 2. Navigate to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device
> Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers
>   a. Observe that there is a USB Mass Storage Device there
> 3. Right-click USB Mass Storage Device and select Uninstall
> 4. Windows then prompts with with New Hardware Found Wizard. Pointed
> this to the USB driver included in the SDK
>
> JBQ
>
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 6:59 PM, mikefletcher

Jean-Baptiste Queru

Mar 9, 2009, 11:43:55 PM3/9/09
to Android-DevP...@googlegroups.com
Does your ADP1 under fastboot show up as a mass storage device in the
device manager? If yes, the driver to uninstall isn't the adb driver,
it's the mass storage driver.

JBQ

supk...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2009, 2:15:07 AM3/10/09

On Mar 10, 1:31 pm, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> I'm being told that the following steps (on Windows XP) might fix the issue:
>
> 1. Boot device into fastboot, connect to PC
> 2. Navigate to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device
> Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers
>   a. Observe that there is a USB Mass Storage Device there
> 3. Right-click USB Mass Storage Device and select Uninstall
> 4. Windows then prompts with with New Hardware Found Wizard. Pointed
> this to the USB driver included in the SDK

My experience on Vista, with factory 1.0 firmware, to new 1.1, did not
erase user image:
* radio flash went fine
* fastboot update <image>.zip sat there for minutes doing nothing
* read the above post
* tried to uninstall driver from USB Mass Storage Device that shows
only when the dev phone is plugged in
* uninstall progress bar sat there for minutes doing nothing, so I
unplugged the device
* vista told me device was uninstalled and to reboot
* replugged device, vista automatically reinstalled the driver, and
did not give me a chance to upgrade to sdk1.1 usb driver
* fastboot devices now worked
* fastboot update <image>.zip worked

everything is groovy. thanks google.

forty4

Mar 10, 2009, 2:49:20 AM3/10/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
This solution is the exact One. Thanks a lot!

On 3월10일, 오전11시31분, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> All right, we've got a theory.
>
> It looks like the fastboot interface of the 0.95.3000 bootloader uses
> the same USB ID as the mass storage interface as exposed from Android,
> and that this count confuse Windows into believing that the dream in
> fastboot mode is a (defective) mass-storage device.
>
> I'm being told that the following steps (on Windows XP) might fix the issue:
>
> 1. Boot device into fastboot, connect to PC
> 2. Navigate to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device
> Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers
> a. Observe that there is a USB Mass Storage Device there
> 3. Right-click USB Mass Storage Device and select Uninstall
> 4. Windows then prompts with with New Hardware Found Wizard. Pointed
> this to the USB driver included in the SDK
>
> JBQ
>
> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 6:59 PM, mikefletcher

Andrew

Mar 10, 2009, 8:01:42 AM3/10/09
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
On Mar 10, 2:59 am, mikefletcher <michaeledwardfletc...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Unfortunately I cannot get it to work with Ubuntu.

I read through (all) 20 posts and tried all suggestions incl. changing
cable etc. adb worked flawlessly but I see exactly the same behavior
as the rest of you (having problems) when trying fastboot.

I even downloaded fastboot from the site (if the version compiled from
the git repository) on my computer for one reason or another was
faulty! :-)

:-(

Andrew

Andrew

Mar 10, 2009, 8:31:25 AM3/10/09
On Mar 10, 1:01 pm, Andrew <andrewr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2:59 am, mikefletcher <michaeledwardfletc...@gmail.com>
> > I'm trying this out on my Linux box.
> Unfortunately I cannot get it to work with Ubuntu.
> I read through (all) 20 posts and tried all suggestions incl.
> changing cable etc. adb worked flawlessly but I see exactly
> the same behavior as the rest of you (having problems) when
> trying fastboot.
> I even downloaded fastboot from the site (if the version
> compiled from the git repository) on my computer for one
> reason or another was faulty! :-)
> :-(

:-) Being root did the trick!!!

$ cd <git>/out/host/<platform>/bin
$ sudo ./fastboot update .../signed-dream_devphone-img-130444.zip
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
Bootloader Version...: 0.95.3000