Don't understand the situation regarding 2.2 and ADP2

potassium

Jul 29, 2010, 2:13:09 PM7/29/10
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
I see a few people on here asking on if its possible to flash an ADP2
with 2.2, and the replies saying its not available.

What is "it"? A 2.2 image?

But isn't a purpose of the developer phones that developers can create
and install their own images onto them? (otherwise what advantage does
and ADP give over another phone?).
Therefore what is it that is preventing me from creating my own custom
2.2 image and installing it onto an ADP?

If its not possible to do, is this a temporary situation and
eventually it will be, or will there be an ADP3 released sometime that
supports 2.2?

Thanks for any clarifications.

Shawn Brown

Jul 29, 2010, 7:25:14 PM7/29/10
to android-devp...@googlegroups.com
> But isn't a purpose of the developer phones that developers can create
> and install their own images onto them? (otherwise what advantage does
> and ADP give over another phone?).
> Therefore what is it that is preventing me from creating my own custom
> 2.2 image and installing it onto an ADP?

Do it baby. That is what your phone is for.

The point is that HTC/Google are not issuing an official ROM.

The only diff is that HTC/Google have access to some of the
proprietary drivers to things like the camera/ bluetooth etc.

For instance, the latest greatest 2.1 release I could find says it may
leak memory for camera apps. This is a result of not having access to
the proprietary code.

ADP3 is really the nexus one isn't it? Google claimed to soon be
selling it via the developer site though people say it isn't there
yet.

Here is how I got 2.1 up. 2.2 is also available from cyanogenmod
though at this point I don't know how stable.

http://things-that-i-noticed.blogspot.com/2010/07/google-ion-android-21-cyanogenmod.html

Our path with an adp to do this is much easier and less risky than
what others face (who don't have a bootloader which allows this and so
must be hacked)

Shawn

potassium

Jul 30, 2010, 11:21:51 AM7/30/10
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Thanks Shawn

> The point is that HTC/Google are not issuing an official ROM.

A couple of questions relating to this:

1) Is it that they are not issuing a ROM full stop, or only just a 1.6
one? If just 1.6 then what's the official reason given why no 2.1 or
2.2 ROM? And is it therefore just a matter of time?

2) If the point of the ADPs is to enable developers to i.e. tweak the
linux kernel etc. etc. then its not a rom developers need, its all the
constituent parts that go into a rom, so they can build their own rom
image. Are the constituent parts available to do this for 1.6 with an
ADP? But they haven't issued the bits for 2.1/2.2.

I'm being pedantic about the term rom, because if I want to do
something such as tweak the kernel, even if google release an official
rom for ADP for 2.2 its useless to me? I need to make my own rom and
thus need the ingredient building blocks to put into my rom which is
the important thing.

Shawn Brown

Jul 30, 2010, 6:04:36 PM7/30/10
to android-devp...@googlegroups.com
> 1) Is it that they are not issuing a ROM full stop, or only just a 1.6
> one? If just 1.6 then what's the official reason given why no 2.1 or
> 2.2 ROM? And is it therefore just a matter of time?

I can't speak for google, I don't even work there.

> 2) If the point of the ADPs is to enable developers to i.e. tweak the
> linux kernel etc. etc. then its not a rom developers need, its all the
> constituent parts that go into a rom, so they can build their own rom
> image. Are the constituent parts available to do this for 1.6 with an
> ADP? But they haven't issued the bits for 2.1/2.2.

All the parts are there for 1.6. I believe some parts are binary
like the camera and bluetooth stuff.

Most of the parts are there for 2.1/2.2. I think the community
version of the proprietary stuff google doesn't release (likely due to
licensing woes with the hardware manufacturers), is in Git.

> I'm being pedantic about the term rom, because if I want to do
> something such as tweak the kernel, even if google release an official
> rom for ADP for 2.2 its useless to me? I need to make my own rom and
> thus need the ingredient building blocks to put into my rom which is
> the important thing.

Tweaking the kernel is can do. That's there. It's just a few
components like the camera and bluetooth stuff that we don't have
access to the src for. It's been worked around though not perfectly.

http://source.android.com/
http://github.com/cyanogen