Rooting HTC Dream

perumal316

Aug 25, 2010, 7:25:39 AM8/25/10
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Hi All,

I could not any other related forum to post this. Forgive me if it is
not directly related to the forum.

I am having a spare HTC Dream which is bought from telcos and is not a
developer phone. However I want to use it as a developer phone. So I
want to root the phone so that I can flash in my customized ROMs for
development purposes.

I followed the instructions from:

http://theunlockr.com/2010/04/26/how-to-root-the-htc-g1dream/

I also tried from various websites which says that the first step is
to downgrade to RC29 etc. But each time I tried it, I am getting:

"00028002 Not Allow" message is shown when I try to start the
bootloader. Any idea how to resolve it?

Am I following the correct steps? Or is there any other methods?

Below are the specs of my HTC Dream phone:

Firmware Version:1.6
Kernel Version:2.6.29-00479-g3c7df37
android-build@apa26#19
Build Number:DRD20

Thanks In Advance:
Perumal

Michael Williams

Aug 25, 2010, 7:30:36 AM8/25/10
to android-devp...@googlegroups.com

Download a dream nbh file and flash it....then try the rooting process again.

roland boyd

Aug 25, 2010, 8:26:27 AM8/25/10
to android-devp...@googlegroups.com

Check out CyanogenMod wiki, what ever u need for your G1 rooting needs you'll find it there. Good luck my friend

perumal316

Aug 30, 2010, 5:17:51 AM8/30/10
to Android-DevPhone-Updating
Hi All,

Thanks for the help. I have rooted my HTC Dream successfully :) I have
flashed in CyanogenMod ROM.

Now I have downloaded Android Kernel and rebuilt it. Now I have the
zImage which is the kernel image. Now how do I use this new image? I
guess must modify the boot.img to use this new kernel image.

Any idea how can I do this? I tried using "fastboot flash:raw boot
<kernel directory> <ramdisk directory>"

For <ramdisk directory> I point to the one in the android-sdk. But
after flashing it stuck in the "G1 T Mobile" screen and doesn't
proceed. Not sure how to resolve.

Thanks In Advance,
Perumal

On Aug 25, 8:26 pm, roland boyd <whitecone...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Check out CyanogenMod wiki, what ever u need for your G1 rooting needs
> you'll find it there. Good luck my friend
>
> Android-DevPhone-U...@googlegroups.com<Android-DevPhone-Upd­ating%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> .> For more options, visit this group at
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/Android-DevPhone-Updating?hl=en.

Teck Choon Giam

Aug 30, 2010, 6:53:52 AM8/30/10
On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM, perumal316 <perum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for the help. I have rooted my HTC Dream successfully :) I have
> flashed in CyanogenMod ROM.
>
> Now I have downloaded Android Kernel and rebuilt it. Now I have the
> zImage which is the kernel image. Now how do I use this new image? I
> guess must modify the boot.img to use this new kernel image.

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Unpack%2C_Edit%2C_and_Re-Pack_Boot_Images

Unpack, replace boot.img-kernel with your zImage (aka cp zImage
boot.img-kernel) then repack according to the above URL.

Hope this helps!