Aramaic Word Query

Thomas Rüfner

Oct 21, 2014, 2:30:44 PM10/21/14
to ancient...@googlegroups.com

Dear Forum Members,

during my research for a paper on issues of Roman monetary law, I have come across an Aramaic papyrus recording the sale of a fig grove in the first century CE. The paper was published in Koffmann, Die Doppelurkunden aus der Wüste Juda, 1968, 170-172. I am mostly interested in the meaning of the word לחין (lamed het jod nun) used in l. 8.

Since I am not a expert on papyri, let alone Aramaic papyri, I would appreciate any hints to recent literature: Has the papyrus (which in 1968 had no number) been published elsewhere since Koffmann? Are there any recent articles on this papyrus or specifically on the meaning of לחין ? I am aware of Gross, Continuity and Innovation ... but have not been able to look at it yet.

Many thanks in advance and best wishes

Thomas

--
Prof. Dr. Thomas Rüfner
Professur für Bürgerliches Recht, Römisches Recht,

Tel.: +49(651)201-2563
Fax:  +49(651)201-3828
http://ius-romanum.uni-trier.de