Franklin Street Bridge over Masspike in Allston

Joseph Marinelli

May 2, 2016, 1:37:50 PM5/2/16
to AllstonBrighton2006
Does anyone know who is responsible for this bridge? I found a thread from a number of years ago but there was no clear answer.

I ask because I ride my bike over it every day on my commute and this morning I discovered that someone had painted the cement over the weekend on both the inclines and the flat section. Mixed with today's mist it made for a nice wipeout on my commute. I saw plenty of skid marks from other bike tires on this very fresh paint so I think it is safe to say that I wasn't the only one who crashed. This thick paint on an incline that is heavily used by cyclists is a terrible idea.

Thanks,

Joe

Eva Webster

May 2, 2016, 1:50:59 PM5/2/16
to AllstonBrighton2006
As always, follow the money.  Who would pay for such a useless paint job, and why?

Paint on street/road surfaces should be used only when absolutely necessary (even pedestrian crossings should be marked with long-lasting pavers — it would save money on repainting them).  Vehicle tires and people’s feet rub the paint off quickly, and it turns into toxic, chemicals laden, though mostly invisible dust — which makes its way into our lungs, as well as the river.

For that reason, it rubs me the wrong way when I sometimes see the entire width of bike lanes painted like a green carpet runner.

Harry Mattison

May 2, 2016, 2:09:16 PM5/2/16
to AllstonBrighton2006
MassDOT owns the bridge and it was their workcrew painting the bridge over the weekend.

Rich Parr

May 2, 2016, 3:10:51 PM5/2/16
to AllstonBrighton2006
I'm sure there is a special paint they can use for grip and durability in these situations. It sounds like that wasn't done here, maybe?

Matthew Danish

May 2, 2016, 5:36:47 PM5/2/16
to AllstonBrighton2006

Street markings are made in either non-skid paint or thermoplastic welded onto the street. Both are safe and don't cause additional slippage under any weather conditions.

Perhaps the crew from MassDOT didn't use those non-skid materials because they mistakenly thought that they weren't necessary? Very strange.

Nancy Grilk

May 3, 2016, 12:44:28 PM5/3/16
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear from you, Matt.  How are things on your side of the Pond?  All the best, Bob Pessek