Winship parents ask BC for help funding City Connects: BC says NO

Jean Powers

Jun 14, 2018, 1:42:33 PM6/14/18
to AllstonBrighton2006

Three BPS parent councils call on Boston College to fund City Connects at their schools

But BC says they’re already doing plenty for Boston

By Alain Jehlen

Read the letter from the three parent councils [[[here]]].

Parent councils at the Quincy, Winship, and Bates Elementary Schools have sent a joint letter to Boston College asking the college to fund their City Connects programs as part of BC’s Payment In Lieu Of Taxes (PILOTs). But BC says the college is already doing enough for Boston.

Under state law, nonprofit organizations such as Boston College are not required to pay property taxes even if they receive services from the City of Boston. However, a task force convened by former Mayor Thomas Menino in 2009 agreed that the city’s major nonprofits — those with property valued at more than $15 million — should pay 25 percent of what their property taxes would be if their property were taxable. These payments are called “Payments In Lieu Of Taxes.”

Half the PILOT payment could be in “community benefits” that the nonprofits provide to Boston. The other half would be actual money.

Since the program started in 2012, the city’s major hospitals have mostly met the 25 percent target, but the biggest universities have not. The parent council letter says BC is more than $5 million behind in payments since 2012.

The City Connects website

One of BC’s programs is City Connects, which provides staff at some BPS schools. City Connects staffers link social service agencies with students who need help. They also personally mentor and guide many students, offering critical support for children who must overcome complex problems in their lives.

But BC does not pay the full cost of the program. Through this year, City Connects has been funded by the BPS central office, meaning that the money did not come out of individual school budgets.

Next year, however, City Connects and most other “partnerships” with outside organizations that used to be funded through the BPS central office will instead come out of school budgets. Some schools received extra money to pay for these partnerships through the controversial new Opportunity Index, but the Quincy, Winship, and Bates Schools did not. The Opportunity Index is intended to measure the extra challenges that schools face in educating their students.

The Bates School’s GoFundMe page

When parents at the Bates School found out they would lose their City Connects staffer, they launched an intensive fundraising campaign, including a GoFundMe drive that has so far come up with $6,340.

According to parent Travis Marshall, the Bates School also cut lunch monitors and will use parent donations that would otherwise pay for field trips. That still leaves them $10,000 short, which the BPS central office is going to lend them: If they can’t raise it, it will come out of next year’s budget.

The three BPS parent councils wrote to BC President Rev. William Leahy last week asking that he make plans to pay the full amount calculated by the PILOT program and that he fund City Connects as part of BC’s 12.5 percent in community benefits.

“You renovate your magnificent libraries, while many of our schools have none at all,” the parent council letter says. “Your sprawling new athletic complex is almost complete, yet our students lack nurses and mental health professionals. Your new dormitories are state-of-the-art, and our students are unable to drink from school water fountains. …

“…Boston College believes ‘a university is a community. It discloses its values by the way it behaves as much as by what it says about itself.’ Please live up to your ideals.”

(Read the parent council letter here.)

Asked to respond, the BC Office of University Communications issued a statement saying, in effect, that BC is already doing a lot for Boston.

“Boston’s PILOT program is voluntary,” the statement noted. “As a nonprofit educational institution and a religious affiliate, we choose not to participate in the PILOT program, but continue to provide more than $335,000 in annual Payments for Municipal Services to the City of Boston for fire protection services through a longstanding agreement established by the City.”

But BC said the college also gives Boston “more than $30 million in community benefits … each year through scholarships, jobs, volunteer outreach, community grants and the public and private funding we procure for Boston’s public and parochial schools.”

The statement also says City Connects will continue at the three schools and 19 other schools this year.

(Read the full BC statement here.)

The Quincy School, with 840 students, had two City Connects staffers last year. This year they will have one. A parent leader reports they will use discretionary funds that would normally have been spent on school supplies.

Parent leaders at the Winship expect to keep City Connects but aren’t yet sure that all the funding is in place.

AngelaT

Jun 14, 2018, 1:55:20 PM6/14/18
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com

I don’t think they are Boston Public Schools (BPS). Right? If not, these sentences may mislead us.

Thanks!

Angela

Jean Powers

Jun 14, 2018, 3:36:04 PM6/14/18
to AllstonBrighton2006
I don't understand the question.

Jean Powers

Jun 14, 2018, 3:59:38 PM6/14/18
to AllstonBrighton2006
The Winship is a Boston Public School in Brighton center serving grades k0-5. The Quincy is in Chinatown; the Bates is in Roslindale.

The City Connects Coordinator (hereafter, CCC) performs a variety of functions at a school. At the Winship, this role is the first stop for services. If your kid is having trouble in school, CCC will meet with the kid, evaluate the kid's needs and strengths, and then meet with you to discuss what services are available. If you are having trouble with housing or food, CCC will put you in touch with area organizations to help you. At our school, CCC also acts as a school counselor -- she meets with students one-on-one and also holds facilitated social groups for students who are having trouble getting along with others. She steps in when kids are bullied. She also coordinates partnerships with outside organizations. The gardening, music, singing, and sports programs all go through her. The after-school clubs go through her. The volunteers from area colleges and service organizations go through her. She writes grants for the school. She also helps run an empowerment program for girls. She has other duties as well. She is in many ways equivilent to an assistant principal (which the Winship does not have). I'm not sure how the Winship can function without her.

In past years, Boston College has covered as much as 80% of the cost of City Connects; BC now pays for about 50% of the program. BPS pays for the rest. City Connects is a BC program, so when they "pay" for it, they are paying themselves.

Up until this year, City Connects was paid out of the central BPS budget. This year it's being charged directly to the Winship. The Winship budget is already stretched as far as it can go. There is no money for this position.

In terms of what this single position brings in, and what it costs, it's insane to think of losing it. It's the very definition of "penny wise and pound foolish." However, when you lack both pennies and pounds, your choices are limited.

I really hope BC steps up on this. They can certainly afford it. And it is so important to the school community.

AngelaT

Jun 14, 2018, 4:31:04 PM6/14/18
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jean 😀 my mistake 😩
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to allstonbrighton...@googlegroups.com.

Jean Powers

Jun 14, 2018, 10:18:43 PM6/14/18
to AllstonBrighton2006
It's confusing!

megan...@gmail.com

Jun 19, 2018, 8:46:15 AM6/19/18
to AllstonBrighton2006
We went through this at the Edison a couple of years ago and had the same kind of response from BC, despite our school being the face of City Connects when they showcased the great success of the program (https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/health-wellness/2014/11/24/city-connects-helps-students-with-needs-that-extend-outside-classroom/MNcmIuZqiEklyx7jqyzIPN/story.html).  We are now down to one coordinator as well, and agree that it's a vital position.  I'm very disappointed that BPS and BC aren't throwing major support behind City Connects.

On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 10:18:43 PM UTC-4, Jean Powers wrote:
It's confusing!