Allston Brighton Events, News, and Resources

Anna Leslie

Sep 26, 2022, 5:43:13 PM9/26/22
to allstonbr...@googlegroups.com

What's happened and what's ahead for the neighborhood
Search our Resource Database
In This Newsletter

1. ABHC Updates
2. Allston-Brighton and Public Health News of Note
3. Job and Volunteer Opportunities

ABHC's newsletter distributes every other week.
Check out the Allston Brighton Community Calendar for all activities and events
ABHC Updates

ABHC's New Website is here!
The site includes a new resource database, the community calendar, and ABHC's work and priorities.

Have you joined the ABHC Network yet?
If you care about, live, work, or volunteer in Allston-Brighton, you can join the ABHC network! As a member, you will receive access to ABHC’s Information Portal. It includes a network member forum and jobs board, contact information, invitations to network meetings and neighborhood check-in calls, data sources and reports, resources and more.

ABHC joins its partners in the Vision Zero Coalition in support of the Work and Family Mobility Act.

ABHC supports the Fair Share Amendment to invest in public health necessities like education and transportation.
Public Health News and Updates

ALLSTON-BRIGHTON

Harvard Dreams, Allston Nightmares

Harvard Proposes New Site for the American Repertory Theater in Allston

500 Western Avenue Letter of Intent (LOI)

Boston police investigate report of spiked drink at off-campus party in Allston

Harvard gets approval to expand campus further into Allston, commences Phase A

One of the final pieces of the puzzle at Boston Landing is in place

With 64% increase in electric bills expected this winter, here’s what Mass. is doing to explore relief

How Harvard Moved Into Allston

16 ways to celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month in Boston

Economic Benefits of the I-90 Allston Multimodal Project

BU Supports 2022 Boston Public Schools Graduates

EPA Implements Advanced Effort to Protect Water Quality in Three Boston-area River Watersheds

Fire in Allston leaves $3 million in damage, several local businesses temporarily close

Seaport booming: Boston City Council has just two months to work out redistricting

Citing an undercount of college students and immigrants, Wu challenges 2020 Census tally

New Boston redistricting chair demands census data from BPDA

Fall 2022 MBTA Service Changes effective Aug 28: Affected Allston-Brighton bus routes
  • 70 and 501: will see decreased weekday service
  • 86: trips will shift throughout the morning on weekdays.
  • 57: Due to the closure of Merrimac St, the early-morning trip from Haymarket does not serve Cambridge St and Tremont St.

YMCA’s Free Pedaling for Parkinson’s wellness program
Oak Square YMCA is excited to launch Pedaling for Parkinson’s (PFP) this October to support individuals living with PD in Allston-Brighton and our surrounding communities. This program is open to all eligible adults and available FREE of charge due to the generous support of our charitable donors and includes a complimentary individual, couple or family YMCA membership while in the program. This program will be offered on Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays from 10:00-11:00am for 10 weeks starting October 3rd

LiveSTRONG @ the Oak Square YMCA Free Program Enrolling Now
Medically-based fitness programs for adults living with cancer

------
CLIMATE CHANGE

BU School of Public Health launches new Center for Climate and Health

Boston’s sea-level rise will require a ‘Big Dig level’ solution, city leaders say

Wildfire Smoke Is Erasing Progress on Clean Air

Wu announces forestry division to preserve and expand tree canopy in Boston

------
COVID-19

Why Omicron Might Stick Around

Report: Mass. closing COVID-19 vaccine equity gaps

‘Very Harmful’ Lack of Data Blunts U.S. Response to Outbreaks

Biden Says the Pandemic Is Over. But at Least 400 People Are Dying Daily.

Potent new boosters are here. Will weary Americans bother?

------
EDUCATION

More than 800,000 Mass. student loan borrowers eligible for debt relief, White House says

State education board approves literacy screening mandate to detect learning disabilities

At start of new school year, BPS grapples with late buses again

------
EQUITY AND EQUAL JUSTICE

EPA will make racial equality a bigger factor in environmental rules

Inequality last year grew, but child poverty dropped, according to census

Boston Marathon to welcome nonbinary athletes to 2023 race

------
FOOD ACCESS

‘That looks like what I eat at home’: City Fresh Foods makes meals for BPS students, by Bostonians

After $1 million in SNAP benefits stolen from low-income families, Mass. delegation asks for federal help

------
HEALTHCARE

Mass General Brigham agrees to slash millions of dollars in spending

Crisis pregnancy centers are on the defensive but they’re pushing back

------
HOUSING

  Eviction and Household Health and Hardships in Families With Very Young Children

Boston explores converting office buildings into housing, but challenges abound

------
IMMIGRANT HEALTH

Migrants sent north by Texas governor have begun appearing in Boston hospitals seeking help

Filings flesh out opposing sides in immigrant driver’s license fight

Lawyers for migrants flown to Martha’s Vineyard seeking nationwide injunction against Florida Governor DeSantis to halt further transfers

Texas sheriff opens criminal probe into relocation of migrants to Martha’s Vineyard
  Voices of migrants, from a New England island in a new land

‘No one was alerted on the island.’ Planeload of Venezuelan migrants lands on Martha’s Vineyard

------
MENTAL HEALTH

RESEARCH: Coping with COVID-19: Differences in Hope, Resilience, and Mental Wellbeing across US Racial Groups

------
PUBLIC HEALTH

City to disband violence prevention program beset by allegations of internal turmoil

Crisis pregnancy centers are on the defensive but they’re pushing back

------
SUBSTANCE USE

Boston Medical Center to open new treatment facility for substance use, other behavioral health issues

------
TRANSPORTATION

More Than a Nuisance: What the Orange Line Shutdown Means for Our Health & the Environment

INTERACTIVE MAP: Fixing ‘Structurally Deficient' Bridges Will Cost Mass. Billions

Drivers irked by Boston’s plan to keep Orange Line street changes

‘Should I walk?’ Orange Line riders grumble that ‘slow zones’ are slower and more extensive than expected.

‘So glad to be back’: Orange Line trains return after month-long closure

Could it be the end of the line for transit-based development?

Boston’s Exciting Biking Transformation: How the City is Promoting Biking on Multiple Fronts

MBTA board chair indicates authority needs more funding

MBTA projects grim budget picture for next fiscal year

DPU will aim to double T auditing staff, chair tells lawmakers

2022 - 2023 MBTA Youth Pass Enrollment is Starting Soon!

Is taking the T or the bus your way of getting around the City? Are you between the ages of 18 and 25? You may be eligible for a reduced-fare MBTA Youth Pass! Enrollment/re-enrollment for the 2022 - 2023 MBTA Youth Pass program will begin in October. Click here to see if you qualify!
Job and Volunteer Opportunities

ABHC only shares job listings that have a posted salary/hourly or salary range. Women, femmes and BIPOC people are consistently paid less than white men in every sector. Requiring compensation on job descriptions helps ensure our commitment to racial equity and social justice.

Brazilian Womens Group
Health Equity Organizer (salary ranges between $20,000-$40,000 depending on experience)
Community Organizer

Brighton Main Streets Executive Director

ABCD's new Mobile Food Distribution program is seeking staff!

The salary for the position is $24.69/hr for 35 hrs a week
You may also contact nichol...@bostonabcd.org or lorena...@bostonabcd.org with inquiries.

The Boston Indicators Project Senior Research Manager

MIRA
    Field Organizer
    Digital Organizer
    Communications Coordinator

Conservation Law Foundation
     Director of Community Resilience
     Director of Farm & Food

Asian Women for Health
     Operations Director
     Program Manager

MAPC Clean Energy and Climate Planner II

2Life Communities various openings

-------

Food Delivery Volunteers Needed!

ESOL Volunteers

Volunteers are needed at the Gardner Pilot Academy to work with adult English learners
No teaching experience necessary.
Tuesday and/or Thursday evenings, 6:00-8:30 p.m.
Gardner Pilot Academy, 30 Athol Street, Allston
www.gpaesol.com
Contact Michelle Duval: m.d...@live.com

Volunteer with Allston-Brighton Food Pantry
Needs include food supply unloading, food basket making, supper prep and distribution, dessert making.
Contact Volunteer.a...@gmail.com

Volunteer with youth ages 7-14
Volunteer for the Brighton Future Forward (BFF) Youth Programs at either Faneuil Gardens or Commonwealth Development in the afternoons from Monday Thursday. Fill out a volunteer interest form today and a program coordinator will get back to you regarding your role and schedule. Learn More

Volunteer opportunity: Cycling Without Age
2Life Communities is seeking volunteers for a program to get older folks around by bike (technically a tri-wheeled rickshaw.)

Volunteer with CommonWheels Bike Co-Op
We love running our bike rides and our open shops and we need extra hands to fix bikes, marshal rides, help flyer, and much much more. Would you like to have the inside line on our rides, maybe help us plan a route? We want you! Email in...@commonwheels.org

Charles River Community Health Mobile Market Looking for Volunteers
Help sort, bag and distribute the shares.
Volunteers would be needed between 1:30pm and 3:30pm, and they could help for the shift, or a portion thereof. If you are interested in helping out, please call
617-783-0500

Allston Brighton Health Collaborative · 18R Shepard Street, Suite 100 · Brighton, MA 02135 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp