Community Notes, Events, Updates & Public Comment Request July 8-14, 2024

Anthony D'Isidoro

6:36 PM (5 hours ago) 6:36 PM
to Anthony D'Isidoro
Notes

Mayor Michelle Wu marked the first official day of the City of Boston’s new Planning Department. This is the first time in 70 years that Boston has had a Planning Department, restoring planning as a core function of City government. The majority of Boston Planning & Development Agency (BPDA) staff have transitioned into jobs with the City of Boston and are now employees of the new Department.
The establishment of the Planning Department is a major piece of Mayor Wu’s vision to transform planning and development in Boston, and complements other initiatives including a home rule petition to end urban renewal and establish a new mission focused on resilience, affordability, and equity; the establishment of the Planning Advisory Council; citywide zoning reform, including the “Squares + Streets” initiative to increase the availability of housing near transit, the modernization of the development review process and a design framework for guiding future development.
“Our goal to make Boston a green and growing city depends on planning together for our brightest future,” said Mayor Michelle Wu. “With our new Planning Department, we will be able to unlock a future for our City that truly centers Bostonians’ needs and brings communities together in making Boston home for generations to come.”
“I’m glad we could see the Mayor’s vision through and create a Planning Department for the City of Boston,” said Chief of Planning Arthur Jemison. “This was a tremendous effort led by dedicated and determined staff who focused on every detail to support our employees through this transition. I am excited to launch this new Department, which will shape the future of our great City, and ensure it is planned equitably, for years to come.”
The Planning Department is charged with developing comprehensive short and long term plans for Boston’s built environment, establishing a consistent and predictable zoning code for the city, advancing exceptional and inclusive design standards, providing predictability to guide development that is responsive to community needs, and planning for the effective use of public real estate. It is through these actions that the Department will address Bostons’ greatest challenges of resilience, affordability, and equity. The Planning Department will work to build trust with communities through transparent processes that embrace predictable and responsible growth.
The new Planning Department includes the divisions of planning & zoning, development review, urban design, and real estate, as well as support staff. Moving forward, the Planning Department budget will be reviewed through the City’s budget process, like all other City departments. Staff of the Department will support the BPDA Board, which will remain the City’s Planning Board, reviewing development projects, planning and zoning initiatives, and land acquisitions and dispositions. Planning Department staff will also support the other parts of the Planning Cabinet which includes the Boston Civic Design Commission, Zoning Commission and provide recommendations to the Zoning Board of Appeal.
Events

Parks Fitness: Kick It by Eliza
Boston Parks & Recreation Department, Boston Public Health Commission
Sponsored by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
Monday, July 8, 2024, 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Repeats weekly on Monday, starting from May 6, 2024, until August 26, 2024
Participate in FREE fitness classes offered by one of our certified instructors.
Join instructor Olivia Porada for a high energy Kick It by Eliza class at the Brighton Commons! Kick It is a music-driven, kickboxing-inspired fitness method with 13 rounds. The class brings high intensity interval training with kickboxing, boxing, rhythmic components and a meditative cool down. All levels welcome! All you need is a yoga mat, sneakers, water, and yourself.
Click the link below to sign up for the class on Eventbrite, which will allow you to add it to your calendar and receive updates, if there are changes or cancellations due to weather, etc.
Register for Class
Brighton Common
30 Chestnut Hill Ave, Brighton
Email Contact: jennifer....@boston.gov

Virtual Licensed Premise Inspection Hearing
Boston Licensing Board
Tuesday, July 9, 2024 @ 10:00 am
Zoom:
Meeting ID: 837 4408 0828
Passcode: 230236
One tap mobile
+16468769923,,83744080828#,,,,*230236# US (New York)
+13017158592,,83744080828#,,,,*230236# US (Washington DC)

4) RESERVOIR WINES AND SPIRITS, INC. , D/B/A: RESERVOIR WINES & SPIRITS, Location: 1922 BEACON ST BRIGHTON, MA 02135, License#: LB-101847, Notice/Violation#: 019628, Category: RETAL
Date Notice 04/25/2024 Service to persons under 21 years of age in violation of M.G.L. ch. 138 s. 34-
34A, 41, 64-64 A and Board's rule 1.08F.

Email Contact: Maureen....@Boston.Gov

Harvard Allston Task Force Meeting
Boston Planning Department
Tuesday, July 9, 2024, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
This is a Task Force meeting for the Harvard Allston Institutional Master Plan (IMP). The purpose of the meeting is to discuss the Institutional Master Plan Notification Form (IMPNF) for the 2024-2034 IMP. The meeting will include a presentation by the University followed by Q&A and comments by the Task Force members. There will be public comment at the end of the meeting if time allows.
How to Participate
Please register for the meeting using the following Zoom link:
bit.ly/3RFYT9t
Webinar ID: 160 922 4136
Toll-Free Call-in Number: 833.568.8864
Please note that the purpose of this meeting is different from a traditional community meeting. As part of the development review process, Task Force members work closely with staff to identify the impacts of a project and recommend appropriate community benefits to offset those impacts. Task Force meetings prioritize discussion between the project proponent (i.e. the developer) and Task Force members.
Email Contact: Quinn.W...@Boston.gov

Virtual Abutters Meeting (60 Guest St)
Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services
Tuesday, July 9, 2024 @ 6:00 pm
Proposal: Proposal: New all alcohol license for new restaurant “Tradesman” with 2 a.m. close time.
Virtual meeting via Zoom
Meeting ID: 886 0606 7862
By Phone: +1 646 558 8656 United States Toll
If you cannot attend this meeting, have any questions or comments about this proposal, or need interpretation services, please contact in advance:

Sigurgeir Jonson
Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Services
(617) 635-2185 | sigurgei...@boston.gov

Please note, the City does not represent the owner(s)/developer(s)/attorney(s)/applicant(s),. The purpose of this meeting is to get community input and listen to the resident’s positions on this proposal. This flyer has been dropped off by the proponents per the city’s request.

Allston/Brighton Neighborhood Concert: Jesse Liam Band
Boston Parks & Recreation Department
Tuesday, July 9, 2024 @ 7:00 pm
All ParkARTS neighborhood performances are free of charge.
The Jesse Liam Band is led by Jesse Liam Gauthier an award winning vocalist, and his father Jack Gauthier a Grammy-nominated recording engineer and producer of international bands such as Dispatch and blues legend Duke Robillard. With their signature family-harmonies and Jesse’s high energy performance they have been performing throughout New England for over a decade averaging 100+ shows a year. They perform as a 4 piece band, acoustic duo or trio.
Brighton Common
30 Chestnut Hill Ave, Brighton

Licensing Board Virtual Transactional Hearing
Boston Licensing Board
Wednesday, July 10 , 2024 @ 10:00 am
Virtual Hearing Zoom Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83713136310?pwd=eXFySTNBMERHZ1dHZXRVb1FLU1hEQT09
Meeting ID: 837 1313 6310
Passcode: 330215
Dial in #: (646) 876-9923

12 Allston Rock City, LLC
D/B/A: Fields West
87 GLENVILLE AVE
ALLSTON, MA 02134
License #: LB-99633
Holder of a Common Victualler Wines and Malt Beverages with Liqueurs License has petitioned to transfer the license and the location from the above - To: SB 201 Brookline Ave, LLC dba Shy Bird located at 201 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215. The premise consists of - 4,499 SF Total: 3,600 SF in one room on ground level with main dining and bar area seating for approximately 103 and bar seating for 14. Two entrances/exits; Kitchen, restrooms, storage in rear; 899 SF outdoor patio on private property from March-October, same hours as interior. Andrew Holden, Manager. 12:00 AM Closing Hour. Secondly, has petitioned to pledge the license to Cambridge Savings Bank.
Attorney: Kristen L. Scanlon

16 Gent Catering LLC
D/B/A: From Scratch
2 TREMONT ST
BRIGHTON, MA 02135
License #: LB-567244
Has applied for a Common Victualler All-Alcoholic Beverages License to be exercised on the above - 2 Tremont Street consists of 1000 SF, 4 tables with a total capacity of 16 people. The restaurant is comprised of two levels- the main level houses the kitchen and the seating area. The downstairs level houses the walk-in fridge, preparation, dry storage room, dishwasher station and the bathroom.
Manager: Gentjan Ikonomi
Closing Time: 10:00 PM

Email Contact: wend...@boston.gov

Brighton Farmers Market (Flyer Attached)

Concert in the Common (Flyer Attached)

Beacon in a Box
Boston Planning Department
Wednesday, July 10, 2024, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
For the Beacon Park Yard Regional Framework Plan (BPY Plan) the Planning Department is hosting a game board night called 'Beacon in a Box'. Please join us so you can build future potential land use scenarios for Beacon Park Yard and provide guidance on how critical amenities like public spaces, green space, and infrastructure should be distributed across the site.  This exercise will help us test ideas, identify competing priorities, and explore trade offs in the development process.
*** No prior experience necessary. We will provide a brief overview of the BPY Plan and game play instructions***
THIS EVENT HAS LIMITED CAPACITY OF ~ 45 PEOPLE. Please use the link below to register for the event. If there's enough interest, we will host another game board night. To stay up-to-date Sign-up for neighborhood updates
Please reach out to Yari Cortez at yarisama...@boston.gov for any questions related to the BPY Plan. we hope you can join us, thank you!
How to Participate
Josephine A. Fiorentino Community Center
123 Antwerp Street, Brighton

Conservation Commission Public Hearing
Wednesday, July 10, 2024 @ 6:00 pm
This meeting will be held virtually and not in person. You can participate in the meeting by going to our online meeting or calling 929-205-6099 and entering Meeting ID 868 0172 3247 #.
Notice of Intent for DEP File No. 006-1996 and Boston File No. 2024-021 from Epsilon Associates, Inc., on behalf of the Boston Water and Sewer Commission (BWSC) for the proposed construction of the North Allston Storm Drain Extension Project to improve the BWSC stormwater management system at ~500 Soldiers Field Road, Allston, MA (LUW, Inland Bank, 100 ft Buffer to Inland Bank, 25 ft Waterfront, 25 ft Riverfront).
Email Contact: c...@boston.gov

Coolidge @ The Speedway: The Rock
Wednesday, July 10, 2024 @ 8:00 pm
Summer movie nights just got even better. We’re excited to bring you a new FREE outdoor summer movie series—hosted by @charlesriverspeedway, curated by @thecoolidge!
Admission is FREE and seating is first come, first served. Movies will start at sundown (approximately 8:00pm), but we recommend arriving early to grab a drink and your seat. Learn more at coolidge.org/speedway.
Charles River Speedway
525 Western Ave, Brighton

Aberdeen Architectural Conservation District Commission
Thursday, July 11, 2024 @ 4:00 pm
This hearing will only be held virtually and NOT in person. You can participate in this hearing by going to our zoom link or calling 1-929-205-6099 and entering meeting id # 917 2201 1626. You can also submit written comments or questions to Aberde...@boston.gov.

I. DESIGN REVIEW HEARING

APP #: 24.1076 AB 52 LANARK ROAD
Applicant: Ronald Ilia
Proposed Work: Replace brick retention wall and stairs with concrete block.

APP #: 24.1103 AB 1-7 SELKIRK ROAD
Applicant: Stephen Sousa; Sousa Design Architects
Proposed Work: Construction of four new townhouses on an empty lot.

APP #: 24.1120 AB 29 SUTHERLAND ROAD
Applicant: Gary Hendren; Hendren Associates
Proposed Work: Renovation and addition to property.

II. ADVISORY REVIEW

APP #: 24.0669 AB 140 STRATHMORE ROAD
Applicant: Luis Santana
Proposed Work: Relocate garage and new construction.

III. ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW

In order to expedite the review process, the commission has delegated the approval of certain work items, such as those involving ordinary maintenance and repair, restoration or replacement, or which otherwise have a minimal impact on a building’s appearance, to commission staff pending ratification at its monthly public hearing. Having been identified as meeting these eligibility criteria and all applicable guidelines, the following applications will be approved at this hearing:

APP #: 24.1112 AB: 68 ENGLEWOOD AVENUE: Replace asphalt shingle roof in kind.

APP #: 24.1164 AB: 8 CHISWICK ROAD: Replace seven windows with aluminum clad, 6 over 1, windows.

Movie Night (Home Alone) at Boston Landing
Thursday, July 11, 2024 @ 7:30 pm

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Pre-party @ 7:30p
- Beats by DJ Chris Roxx
- Broken Records pop-up bar
- Yucoo bubble tea
- Free movie concessions
- American Flatbread pizza pop-up
- Contests & giveaways
Feature Presentation @ 8:30p
- Home Alone (on The Hill)

CHRISTMAS CHARACTERS
A few of our favorite friends from the North Pole may be stopping by to wish our Movie Night attendees an early Merry Christmas. Keep your eyes peeled throughout the event for some special visitors!

CONTESTS & GIVEAWAYS:
- Costume Contest: Come dressed in your best summer-themed Christmas costume to be entered into our costume contest! One winner will get a $200 to any Boston Landing retailer or restaurant.
- Gift Card Raffle: At check in, you will receive one entry into our monthly raffle & a chance to win a gift card to one of our many amazing Boston Landing restaurants!

TOY DRIVE
We will be hosting a toy drive to benefit Franciscan Children’s Hospital during the event! If you have new, unused, non-violent, and unwrapped toys that you'd like to donate to another family, please bring them to Movie Night and drop them at the Management Tent. See below for gift ideas and needs:
- Infants: Rattles, teethers, musical toys, shakers, ring stackers, baby pianos, infant mobiles, board books, sound soothers, activity tables/cubes, multi-cultural dolls, peg puzzles, stacking cups, blocks bead mazes, musical books, mitts for teething
School age: Puzzles, board/card games, lego kits, lincoln logs, action figures, magna-tiles, water color paper, water color paint, canvases (all-sizes), picture books, disney DVDs, musical instruments, outdoor toys, remote control cars, kinex
- Teenage: Sketch books, art kits, journals, DVD/CD players, PlayStation 5 games, Nintendo Switch games, non-violent DVDs, sport watches, sporting equipment, headphones, sports apparel, red sox items, Bruins items, Celtics items, Patrios items, board/card games, alarm clock/radio

Can't choose just one gift? Send a gift card for the Franciscan Children's Hospital team to use to purchase toys patients have requested or need (ald...@franciscanchildrens.org).

Please visit @boston_landing on instagram for all up to date event details, including schedule changes due to inclement weather. All outdoor events are weather permitting.

Athletes Park at Boston Landing
80 Guest St, Brighton

2024 Children’s Arts and Crafts Workshops: Allston-Brighton
Boston Parks & Recreation
Friday, July 12, 2024, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm

Our arts and crafts workshops are led by local artists. They're held Tuesday through Friday in July and August and run from 10 a.m. until 12 p.m. These drop-in workshops encourage kids to explore their creativity through projects like mask making, crayon art, watercolor and much more. Supplies are provided, but you'll need to bring your creativity!
This series is completely free and open to Boston residents. These workshops will take place in various parks throughout the City of Boston.
Registration is required for groups of 8 or more. Please email Shannon...@boston.gov to register.
This series is weather-dependent. Check our social media pages for updated weather info regarding this series. Follow us on social media for the latest updates on events: Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Joyce Playground
80 Union St, Brighton

Rosalita’s Puppets Marionette Performances at Parks Brighton
Boston Parks & Recreation
Friday, July 12, 2024 @ 11:00 am

Experience the unique charm of Rosalita’s Puppets featuring marionettes made by professional actor-puppeteer Charlotte Anne Dore. Performances start at 11 a.m.
The event is free, but young children must be accompanied by an adult.  Groups of six or more must make prior arrangements by calling the Parks Department at 617-635-4505.
The puppet performances are part of our Children's Arts and Crafts Workshops taking place on the same day from 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. The event is presented by the Boston Parks and Recreation Department and sponsored by Highland Partners Charitable Trust.
Joyce Playground
80 Union St, Brighton

The Sunday Bazaar: 2024 Season (Flyer Attached)

Charles River Jazz Festival (Flyer Attached)

Updates

None

Public Comments

Want to know more about the planning initiatives that are happening in Allston-Brighton? Check out The Boston Planning & Development Agency's (BPDA) planning website to stay informed and learn about opportunities to comment. It is important to share direct community feedback about what is needed to make Allston-Brighton a great place to live and work now and in the future!

Boston University Charles River Campus (IMP Comment due August 5, 2024)