Community Notes, Events, Updates & Public Comment Request June 13-19, 2022

Anthony D'Isidoro

Jun 12, 2022, 3:02:10 PMJun 12
to Anthony D'Isidoro
Notes

Save the Date: A Community Celebration (Flyer Attached)

Congratulations Salsa Y Control Dance Studio for being Allston Village Main Streets 2022 Business of the Year! We're looking forward to your expansion and continued success! https://www.facebook.com/salsaycontroldance/

The Story of a House – a film by Anne Magee Coughlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd9NO5pu74I

Events

1234-1240 Soldiers Field Road Impact Advisory Group Meeting

Boston Planning & Development Agency

Monday, June 13, 2022, 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm

The Proposed Project will contain approximately 535 residential units, approximately 120 condominium units, approximately 255 hotel rooms, and approximately 14,500 square feet of retail space with approximately 405 parking spaces.

Please note that the purpose of this meeting is different from that of a traditional community meeting. As part of the development review process, Impact Advisory Group (IAG) members work closely with BPDA staff to identify the impacts of a project and recommend appropriate community benefits to offset those impacts. IAG meetings prioritize discussion between the project proponent (i.e. the developer) and IAG members.

Please register for the meeting using the following Zoom link:
bit.ly/3NwgDQ2

Meeting ID: 161 170 6366
Toll-Free Call-in Number:
 833.568.8864

Email Contact: Ebony....@Boston.gov

Allston Multimodal Project Task Force Meeting

Tuesday, June 14, 2022, 6:30 pm–8:00 pm

For this June meeting, the I-90 Allston Multimodal Project Task Force will discuss several topics, including the Cambridge Street Bridge Rehabilitation, the I-90 Allston Viaduct Preservation, and the Franklin Street Pedestrian Bridge.

Email Contact: I-90A...@dot.state.ma.us

Allston Board of Trade Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, June 15, 2022 @ 12:00 pm

Working together to strengthen and improve the quality of life and commerce in Allston.

For meeting details and RSVP: in...@abot.org

Dan Cuddy, President

Brighton Farmers Market (Flyer Attached)

Concerts in the Common (Flyer Attached)

Allston Civic Association June Monthly Meeting

Wednesday, June 15, 2022, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm

This meeting will only be held virtually and not in person.  You can participate in this meeting online or by calling in.

Register in advance for this meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwoc-GprT4jH9H9wfv3SCgT3vxZW4HdiDHL

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

Meeting agendas posted at:

www.allstoncivicassociation.org

www.facebook.com/AllstonCivicAssociation

Anthony D’Isidoro, President

Moving Forward Together

A Night with the Y

Oak Square YMCA

Wednesday, June 15, 2022, 6:30 pm – 9:00 pm

The Oak Square YMCA invites you to our summer fundraiser and Allston-Brighton neighborhood celebration,

Tickets are available online (OakSquareY.givesmart.com) and include appetizers, beverages from Notch Brewing, live/silent auction, and other festivities.  All proceeds from this evening will support our 2022 Annual Fund scholarship program to provide YMCA wellness, sports, swim, nutrition, camp, afterschool and teen program scholarships for local youth, adults and families this summer.

Garage B @ The Speedway

1420 Soldiers Field Rd, Brighton

Kiwanis Club of Allston Brighton Meeting

Thursday, June 16, 2022 @ 12:00 noon

Kiwanis International is a global community of clubs, members and partners dedicated to improving the lives of children one community at a time.

Please join us.

Stockyard Restaurant

135 Market St, Brighton

Email Contact: Bill Margolin (wehb...@aol.com

Zoning Advisory Board of Appeal Hearing

Inspectional Services Department

Thursday, June 16, 2022

The June 16, 2022, hearing will be held virtually via video teleconference and telephone via the Zoom webinar event platform.

Interested persons can participate in the hearing REMOTELY by going to our online meeting. You may also participate by phone by calling into the Zoom Webinar at (312) 626-6799 and entering the Webinar ID: 977 9540 4707 followed by # when prompted.

If you wish to offer testimony on an appeal, please sign up online. Please provide your name, address, the address and/or BOA number of the appeal on which you wish to speak, and if you wish to speak in support of or opposition to the project.

Hearings: 5:00 pm

Case: BOA-1258118 Address: 82 Presentation Road Ward: 22 Applicant: David Roe

Article(s): Article 51 Section 9 Dimensional Regulations-Floor Area Ratio Excessive Article 51 Section 9 Dimensional Regulations-Building Height ( # of Stories ) Excessive

Purpose: Adding 1 bedroom, one bathroom and storage closet in attic of existing house. Our long form permit number is ERT50921.

Email Contact: Stephani...@Boston.Gov

The hearing can also be viewed via live-stream on the City’s website. Closed captioning is available.

Allston Brighton Health Collaborative Transportation Committee Meeting

Thursday, June 16, 2022, 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm

The Transportation Committee of the Allston Brighton Health Collaborative (ABHC) is composed of community residents and organizations who recognize that transportation is a strong indicator and essential component of community health. We advocate to improve equity, access, and safety of all mobility modes in Allston and Brighton. Since 2016, this committee has worked closely with residents and stakeholders to address barriers to safe, reliable and accessible mobility and has become a leading neighborhood-wide voice on multi-modal transportation interests.
For meeting details, please contact Anna Leslie (anna....@abhealthcollab.org

Allston Multimodal Project Virtual Public Meeting

Thursday, June 16, 2022, 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm

Register in advance for this meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_FoRVpK8dRkS74h8Z82aGiQ

A Live Virtual Public Information Meeting will be hosted by MassDOT to provide members of the community with an opportunity to become fully acquainted with the Notice of Project Change (NPC) to be filed for the I-90 Allston Multimodal Project. The meeting will introduce attendees to the NPC document and how to provide comments on the document, and provide a status update on the ongoing project design and permitting process.

All residents, abutters, local business owners, and interested commuters are invited to attend. All attendees who sign into the meeting and provide an email address will be entered into the project’s email database to receive project updates. Prior to the meetings, if you have specific questions or concerns for the project team, please email us.

Brighton Main Streets Annual Meeting (Flyer Attached)

Updates

Boston Civic Design Commission

Tuesday, May 3, 2022

The next project was the Guest Street Hotel, Boston Landing. Harry Wheelers of Group One presented the project.

Deneen Crosby: Do you have any views from the berm?

Harry Wheeler: Not in this slide deck.

Deneen Crosby: In previous meetings it seemed like the upper level was much more resolved.

William Rawn: I want to reiterate Deneen’s request, it seems quite different from the original presentation.

Andrea Leers: Do you have a full site plan?

Jonathan Evans: Overall, I appreciate the effort that’s been made to make this a much better design. It’s come a long way.

Kirk Sykes: I agree with Jonathan’s comments. We spent a couple of meetings talking about the nature of this space. We encouraged the proponent to propose additional wayfinding that would help the public understand that the slope and deck are publicly accessible.

Deneen Crosby: The wall by the slope needs some attention.

Kirk Sykes: It’s definitely more accessible from this side than the other.

Andrea Leers: If the end wall of this terrace were more transparent, it would help give you a sense of turning the corner and finding that green space. Having a sense of the storefront coming around that corner would invite and help that sense of access.

Harry WHeeler: We don’t own that wall. It’s existing.

Andrea Leers: Can you plant in front of it?

Keith Craig: There’s also a perpendicular sign that’s the same height as the podium, that presents people to the park.

Eric Howeler: If the landscape is an invitation, do you want some kind of hardscape path that invites you up there?

Keith Craig: The entire area is planted.

Eric Howeler: People might be more likely to use it if there were a hardscape path. What is the messaging? Is it a green barrier?

Mikyoung Kim: Those existing mounds are pretty steep.

Keith Craig: They’re pretty comfortable to get up there.

Mikyoung Kim: There’s no rail, so what’s the slope? Is it accessible?

Eric Howeler: It seems like a weird gesture. It’s sending mixed signals and feels like a fake public space. Kirk Sykes: We spent a fair amount of time encouraging the proponent to create some way to make it possible to get up to the patio.

Elizabeth Stifel: Can we add a proviso?

Mikyoung Kim: I like that solution. We should get an update and assurance that it will be addressed.

Kirk Sykes: I agree. I’d love them to study a way to get up from Guest Street. If there’s an access point there, the issue is over.

Andrea Leers: There is clearly a residual space that is just residual and needs to be addressed. I would encourage you to look at a better resolution between the existing landscape and the back wall of the retail.

The motion was moved, seconded, and it was duly

VOTED: That the Commission recommend approval of the Guest Street Hotel, provided that further study occur into the integration with the existing New Balance Building, with consideration toward enhancing public access from Guest Street.

St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center Parking Garage and IMP was presented next. Steve VanNess, John Harding, and Deb Myers presented the project.

Kirk Sykes: Are there pedestrian, bike, and vehicle conflicts?

John Harding: The intention is that people will walk up through the site from the bus stop.

Kirk Sykes: Please continue to work on that.

Andrea Leers: I’m pleased to see how the street edge and building edge have come together. I do remember what a challenge this was. My only reservation is the applied nature of the terracotta materials. If the building were one color, it would be more successful. Look at is as a monochromatic building, not a concrete building that is partly concealed.

David Manfredi: I agree. The project has gotten much better. It doesn’t feel nearly as squeezed as it used to. It’s better for being more simple, and it could get more simple still.

William Rawn: I find the terracotta nice as a color. My question is, should the terracotta become grey? Andrea Leers: Or the concrete should become colored.

Hearing no public comment, a motion was made, seconded, and

VOTED: That the Commission recommend approval for St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center Parking Garage and IMP

Boston Civic Design Commission Design Committee

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Project: 119 Braintree Street

Present: Commissioner David Manfredi, Commissioner David Hacin, Commissioner Mimi Love, and Commissioner Linda Eastley

DISCUSSION:

The project team gave an overview of the project site and the landscape design. The Commissioners asked questions about zoning and density, expressing concerns about the height at 119 Braintree and the sense of a sheer, icy wall against the Mass Pike. The mechanical penthouse may be the major contributor to the massing and height concerns. The Commissioners expressed concern about the privacy of the town home residences, and want to better understand their design. Commissioners would like to get feedback from the City on how comfortable they are with the density proposed for the site. They would also like to better understand the entry off Everett Street and how it feels to be a resident on Blaine Street. The Commissioners also want to understand the pedestrian experience on Braintree Street and the design of the streetscape . The next meetings will be broken up by building.

The Project will continue in Design Committee.

Project: 400 Guest Street

Present: Commissioner Anne-Marie Lubenau, Commissioner Eric Howeler, Commissioner Mimi Love, Commissioner Linda Eastley

DISCUSSION

The project team gave an overview of the project and reviewed in detail the improvements to the project design along Everett St. The Commissioners complemented the changes made to the project, the treatment of Braintree St as a real street, and the integration of the cycle track. They recommended softscape buffers between the cycle track and the sidewalks. They asked that the articulation of overhang edges be further designed, that the geometry of the building corner at the retail space be considered and that the lighting on the cantilevers be thoughtful.

The Project will return to the Full Commission.

Zoning Board of Appeal Hearing

Inspectional Services Department

Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Extensions: 9:30 am

Case: BOA-898191 Address: 40 Mt Hood Road Ward 21 Applicant: Jared Eigerman

Video: (2052) Zoning Board of Appeal Hearings 6-7-22 - YouTube

Slide the time bar to 7:48

Outcome: Additional Extension Granted to June 27, 2023

Hearings: 9:30 am

Case: BOA- 1228560 Address: 40 Lake Street Ward 22 Applicant: The Common Room, Inc

Article(s): Article 51 Section 8 Use Regulations - Community Center – Conditional Article 51 Section 8 Use Regulations Accessory Personal Quarters – Forbidden Article 51, Section 56 Off-Street Parking & Loading Req[1]Location: Proposed parking in front yard

Purpose: The applicant intends to convert use of the property from a residential use to a community center for young adults with high cognitive Autism Spectrum Disorder, to include, Accessory Personnel Quarters. The applicant requests a rejection letter to proceed to the Board of Appeal for a conditional use permit.

Video: (2052) Zoning Board of Appeal Hearings 6-7-22 - YouTube

Slide the time bar to 1:04:45

Outcome: Deferred to August 23, 2022 @ 11:30 am

Case: BOA- 1322527 Address: 645 Washington Street Ward 22 Applicant: George Morancy

Article(s): Art 51 Sec. 08 Use Regulations-Forbidden Art 51 Sec. 09 Dimensional Regulations-4 Location of main entrance to new unit

Purpose: Change occupancy from a two family to a three family dwelling. Replace Unit 3 entry doors with new fire rated doors

Video: (2052) Zoning Board of Appeal Hearings 6-7-22 - YouTube

Slide the time bar to 1:28:35

Outcome: Approved

Hearings: 10:30 am

Case: BOA-1327640 Address: 132 Chestnut Hill Avenue Ward 21 Applicant: Lucas Luiz

Article(s): Article 51, Section 16 Use: Forbidden

Purpose: Change occupancy to include restaurant and inspect a new Hood as per plan. Cost and work reflected on SF 1097041.

Video: (2052) Zoning Board of Appeal Hearings 6-7-22 - YouTube

Slide the time bar to 4:12:50

Outcome: Approved for this Applicant Only

Case: BOA-1281800 Address: 140-144 Harvard Avenue Ward 21 Applicant: OPCO Allston, LLC

Article(s): Article 51 Section 16 Use Regulations – Use: Cannabis Retail Store: Conditional Article 51 Section 16 Use Regulations - Cannabis Establishment Location shall be sited at least one half mile or 2,640 feet from another existing Cannabis Establishment

Purpose: Change of Occupancy to a Cannabis Establishment

Video: (2052) Zoning Board of Appeal Hearings 6-7-22 - YouTube

Slide the time bar to 2:50:50

Outcome: Approved for this Applicant Only

Case: BOA-1318050 Address: 90 Braintree Street Ward 22 Applicant: 90 Braintree Owner LLC

Article(s): Article 51, Section 9 Add'l Lot Area Insufficient Article 51, Section 9 Floor Area Ratio Excessive Article 51, Section 9 Bldg Height Excessive (Stories) Article 51, Section 9 Bldg Height Excessive (Feet) Article 51, Section 9 Front Yard Insufficient Art. 51 Sec. 57.2Exst'g Bldg Algnmnt Conformity - Modal for Penniman St. not provided Article 51, Section 8 Use: Forbidden - Multifamily Article 51, Section 9 Rear Yard Insufficient Art. 51 Sec. 09 Open Space insufficient Article 51, Section 57.3 Traffic Visibility Across Corner

Purpose: Construct new multi family residential building with parking garage, per plans, to include 111 residential units and 58 parking spaces. Demo of existing building on separate permit.

Video: (2052) Zoning Board of Appeal Hearings 6-7-22 - YouTube

Slide the time bar to 3:13:50

Outcome: Approved with BPDA Design Review

Virtual Licensed Premise Violation Hearings

Boston Licensing Board

Tuesday, June 7, 2022 @ 10:00 am

8. SAHIL ENTERPRISES, INC. , D/B/A: QUALITY LIQUORS, Location: 489 CAMBRIDGE ST ALLSTON, MA 02134, License#: LB-101868, Notice/Violation#: 043297, Category: RETAL

Date: 04/06/2022

Notice: Public drinking in front of Licensed premise in violation of M.G.L. ch. 138 s.64.

Failure to post current License in violation of M.G.L. 138 s. 64

Video: (2052) City of Boston Licensing Board Violation Hearing 6-7-22 - YouTube

Slide the time bar to 30:30

Outcome: Taken Under Advisement

Licensing Board Virtual Transactional Hearing

Boston Licensing Board

Wednesday, June 8, 2022 @ 10:00 am

1. Fruit Tea MA2, Inc.

D/B/A: Yifang Taiwan Fruit Tea

14 BRIGHTON AVE

BOSTON, MA 02134

License #: LB-480459

Has applied for a Common Victualler License to be exercised on the above - Approx. 1110 sq. ft. on the first floor with a dining area and tea bar, kitchen in the rear.

Manager: Emily Chen

Hours of Operation: 11:00 AM to 9:30 PM

Attorney: RUSSELL CHIN

Video: (2052) City of Boston Licensing Board Transactional Hearing 6-8-22 - YouTube

Slide the time bar to 2:05

Outcome: Taken Under Advisement

19. Yak Thai Inc.

D/B/A: Thonglor

559 WASHINGTON ST

BRIGHTON, MA 02135

License #: LB-481088

Has applied for a Common Victualler 7 All-Alcoholic Beverages License to be exercised on the above – 1,000SF: in one room on first floor (seating for 38), kitchen in rear, storage in basement. Manager: Piyapong Wongla

Closing Time: 11:00 PM

Attorney: Kristen L. Scanlon

Video: (2052) City of Boston Licensing Board Transactional Hearing 6-8-22 - YouTube

Slide the time bar to 1:20:10

Outcome: Taken Under Advisement

Licensing Board Virtual Voting Agenda

Wednesday, June 8, 2022, 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm

Voting Hearing Agenda

June 8, 2022

Licensed Premise Inspection Hearing on Tuesday, June 7, 2022

8. Sahil Enterprises, Inc.

Doing business as: Quality Liquors

Date: 04/06/2022

Notice: Public drinking in front of Licensed premise in violation of M.G.L. ch. 138 s.64.

Failure to post current License in violation of M.G.L. 138 s. 64.

Video: (2052) City of Boston Licensing Board Voting Hearing 6-8-22 - YouTube

Slide the time bar to 3:20

Outcome: Document in Folder, Follow-up in Six Months

Transactional Hearing on Wednesday, June 8, 2022

1. Fruit Tea MA2, Inc.

Doing business as: Yifang Taiwan Fruit Tea

14 Brighton Ave., Boston, MA 02134

License #: LB-480459

Has applied for a Common Victualler License to be exercised on the above - Approx. 1110 sq. ft. on the first floor with a dining area and tea bar, kitchen in the rear.

Manager: Emily Chen Hours of Operation: 11:00 AM to 9:30 PM

Attorney: RUSSELL CHIN

Video: (2052) City of Boston Licensing Board Voting Hearing 6-8-22 - YouTube

Slide the time bar to 4:32

Outcome: Approved

19. Yak Thai Inc.

Doing business as: Thonglor

559 Washington St, Brighton, MA 02135

License #: LB-481088

Has applied for a Common Victualler 7 All-Alcoholic Beverages License to be exercised on the above – 1,000SF: in one room on first floor (seating for 38), kitchen in rear, storage in basement.

Manager: Piyapong Wongla

Closing Time: 11:00 PM

Attorney: Kristen L. Scanlon

Video: (2052) City of Boston Licensing Board Voting Hearing 6-8-22 - YouTube

Slide the time bar to 14:18

Outcome: Approved Pending Availability (Main Street District)

Non-Hearing Transactions

The following are applying for a new Common Victualler License at a previously licensed location

2. LC Asian Cuisine, Inc. d/b/a Kyoaji Sushi, 66 - 68 Brighton Avenue, Allston, MA 02134. In one room on the first floor with the kitchen and storage in the rear, additional storage in the basement; 16 seats. Song Lu as manager of record. Hours of operation: Monday - Thursday: 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM; Friday - Saturday: 11:00 AM - 11:00 PM and Sunday: 12:00 PM - 9:30 PM.

Video: (2052) City of Boston Licensing Board Voting Hearing 6-8-22 - YouTube

Slide the time bar to 15:29

Outcome: Approved

The Following have applied for a Special 1 Day All Alcohol License

2. Garage B Events at Charles River Speedway

Has applied for a(n) Bat Mitzvah at:

525 Western Ave., Brighton, MA 02135 Date and Time: 06/18/2022, 7 p.m. ‑ 10 p.m.

Manager: Anabela Gomes

Outcome: Approved

The Following have applied for a Special 1 Day Malt Wine License

4. GERMAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL

Has applied for a(n) 20th Anniversary Party at:

57 Holton St., Allston, MA 02134

Date and Time: 06/25/2022, 3 p.m. ‑ 8 p.m.

Manager: Sarah Feinberg

Outcome: Approved

5. Powerhouse Cafe & Catering

Has applied for a(n) Wedding at:

525 Western Ave., Brighton, MA 02135

Date and Time: 06/11/2022, 5 p.m. ‑ 10 p.m.

Manager: Robert DeBerio

Outcome: Approved

20. Air Drop beverage Services

Has applied for a(n) Beer Garden at:

267A Western Ave., Allston, MA 02134

Date and Time: 08/31/2022 ‑ 09/17/2022,

Wednesday - Saturdays Only

Wed-Thurs: 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Friday: 5:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.

Saturday: 12:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.

Manager: Michael Yim

Outcome: Approved

22. Airdrop Beverage Services

Has applied for a(n) Beer Garden at:

Aeronaut Oktoberfest

267A Western Ave., Allston, MA 02134

Date and Time: 10/01/2022 ‑ 11/01/2022, 1 p.m. ‑ 11 p.m.

Manager: Michael Yim

Outcome: Approved

24. Garage B Events

Has applied for a(n) Concert at:

1420 ‑ 1440 Soldiers Field Rd., Brighton, MA 02135

Date and Time: 06/25/2022, 6 p.m. ‑ 12 a.m.

Manager: Ballard Blai

Outcome: Approved

Public Comments Requested:

75 Tremont St (PNF Comment Due by June 20, 2022)

http://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/75-tremont-street

582 Cambridge St (SPRA Comment Due by June 24, 2022)

http://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/582-cambridge-street