Bouquets, bonbons and beers for Moms!

Anthony D'Isidoro

May 5, 2022, 7:40:50 PMMay 5
to Anthony D'Isidoro

STAY ON TRACK

with the speedway

THE SECRET IS OUT! Many of you have heard the exciting news, but now it's our turn to share our excitement: Birds of Paradise, a new cocktail bar from famed mixologist Ran Duan of Baldwin Bar / Blossom Bar / Ivory Pearl - will open up at The Speedway later this summer! Birds of Paradise will operate out of the former jail underneath police headquarters, with 45 seats inside and a patio out front, adjacent to the lower courtyard and across from Garage B.

We'll let Ran explain the concept below - for more, read the full interview in The Boston Globe or in Eater Boston

"The whole concept behind Birds of Paradise is traveling and escapism. The menu is going to be based on plane tickets. Think of Pan Am. You’re going from Brazil to Japan, right? Each cocktail is going to be based off of plane tickets from one location to the other, and the cocktail’s ingredients are going to be inspired by those two locations. We thought, especially with the timing of the pandemic, the space, and everything that’s been going on, it was the perfect concept with the perfect timing to get people to travel somewhere they miss." - Ran Duan

We're in - for the cocktails, the escapism, and for all the creative energy!

MOTHER'S DAY

As big fans of moms and mother figures alike, we are pulling together a nice little Sunday here at The Speedway to celebrate them!

Join us on Sunday, May 8th from 12-5 pm for: ​​​​​​​​
  • DIY Bouquet Station with Bluebird Bouquets (a perfect last minute gift?) ​​​
  • Bluebird will also be selling Mother’s Day cards from Women's Lunch Place - learn more about them here. Each card doubles as a donation, providing 5 healthy lunches for a WLP guest.
  • A pop-up donut stand from Lionheart Confections ​- NOT to be missed.
  • Mini Portrait Sessions with Kate True at The Speedway Gallery from Cambridge Art Association (pre-registration suggested.) ​​​​​​​​These are quick and possibly the perfect gift - what mom doesn't want beautifully illustrated portraits of her kids? We're talking family heirlooms!
  • A Sake & Chocolate Tasting with The Koji Club and  EHChocolatier (grab your ticket here). This might be heaven.
  • Grab the perfect candle or scent from the House of Art & Craft
  • Treat her - and yourself - to beers from Notch Brewing, or a freshly made hummus bowl from Hummus v' Hummus.
​​​​​​More info + RSVP here!

COMING UP AT THE SPEEDWAY

May 7 and May 21: Calling all music-loving kids and their families! Boston Music Project will be at The Speedway every other Saturday from 12-2pm with their Music + Movement class, a 45 minute session where children will sing songs, dance to music, and enjoy storytime led by trained Boston Music Project teaching artists. ​​​​​​​​Details + registration here.

May 18: CommonWheels is back at The Speedway with Open Shop from 5-8pm! Here are the details: Open Shop is a free, DIY, bike-maintenance skill-share. We provide the tools and guidance needed to keep your bike working so you can keep riding. Our goal isn't to fix your bike and send you on your way, it's to help you fix your own bike. Open Shop is also a great chance to hang out with your fellow Boston cyclists, trade stories of biking adventures, and share your own knowledge.

May 22: We so excited to welcome Artemis Yoga  to the courtyard  every other Sunday - grab your mat, a friend, and join us at 11 am - then plan to stick around for food, drink, and community. Details + registration here.

May 22: Boston Women's Market is back with new market dates at Garage B! Join us from 12-4pm to shop over 30 vendors sharing their wares - from jewelry to artwork, that special something is waiting to be discovered at BWM. Neighborhood Produce will be joining us on each market day for a pop-up fruit stand in the courtyard.​​

BOSTON CALLING - SPEEDWAY STYLE

Heard of a little festival called Boston Calling? You know, the three-day affair with 50+ bands taking place over Memorial Day weekend? Did you know that the Harvard Athletic Complex is less than a mile walk from The Speedway?

We have a LOT of fun things in the works to make The Speedway your Boston Calling home-away-from-home. Live music in the courtyard, a special two-day Brighton Bazaar, a special vinyl market in Garage B, food trucks galore... consider this your invitation to join us over Memorial Day weekend. Forward this to your friends, put it in your calendar - this is going to be just the thing, whether you have tickets to the big show or not.

(If you're heading to the festival, make sure you check out the food from Buenas, Chubby Chickpea, A La Esh, Lobster Proper - all great options from the extended Speedway family!)

We need your vote!

BIG NEWS! The Speedway has been nominated for a People’s Preservation Choice Award from Preservation Massachusetts, and we are asking for your support to help us get to the top of the list. We believe this project has connected the public to historic preservation in a truly impactful and tangible way. Anchored by great local businesses, the Speedway welcomes all to eat, drink, shop, and connect with your community every day. It is a place that invites you to practice yoga in the courtyard, buy local art, and grab a beer with your co-workers after work - all in the midst of a redeveloped historic complex that was once home to park administration offices, horse stables, snow removal equipment, and even a lock up.  The buildings once again look like they did in 1899, 1904, 1920, and 1940 - the new occupants do not. If you love the revitalized Charles River Speedway, we'd love your VOTE!

Voting runs through May 11, and you can vote as many times as you'd like.

What's up at notch?

A cornhole league?!  At The Speedway? Yes. Boston Cornhole has partnered with Notch Brewing for an 8-week tournament series beginning May 11th at the Charles River Speedway. It is FREE to play with a four match guarantee! The top team(s) each night will win prizes. From beginners to seasoned veterans, all levels are welcome! Bags fly at 6:30 PM.

Celebrate World Collage Day and the Countdown to CAA DAY with local artist Stephanie Todhunter and create fantastic creatures out of paper and glue! All skill levels are welcome, and creative interpretations are encouraged. Still life set-ups provided by the artist.

Pre-register here.

Notch has live music every Thursday in the Tap Room or the Biergarten - shows start at 7pm. Free admission - just come and have fun!

update on the speedway

The Speedway is OPEN!!  While we are still building out the last retail spaces, many of our retail and food vendors are up and running. They are:

Notch Brewing: NEW SPRING HOURS! M-T: 4-9PM, W: 4-10, Th: 12-10pm, F/S: 12-11PM, Sun: 12-8PM
The Koji Club: W-F: 5-11PM, S: 12-11PM, Sun: ticketed tastings
Hummus v' Hummus: Th-F: 4-9PM, Sat: 12-9PM, Sun:12-5PM
House of Art & Craft: W/Th: 4-8PM, F: 3-8PM, Sat: 12-8PM, Sun: 11AM - 5PM
Bellwether Salon: Wednesday-Sunday: by appointment only.
Tipping Cow: Friday-Sunday, 3-8PM
The Speedway Gallery by Cambridge Art Association: Home to affordable local art, plus workshops and events, hours vary.

Note: these reflect their current hours, and are subject to change. You can always check this page on our website to find up-to-date hours.

We are eagerly awaiting to announce the opening dates for Super Bien and Birds of Paradise.

Work at The Speedway

Garage B is hiring an Events Assistant - find information here.

Hummus v' Hummus is hiring - if interested, email resume to ma...@thechubbychickpea.com

Super Bien is ready to staff up! Join their squad.
The Speedway is a vibrant, dynamic marketplace to enjoy local food and drink, work and create, shop for artisan goods, and gather with family and friends in a safe and healthy environment. Located on Western Avenue in Brighton, these historic buildings and their central courtyard have been transformed into a space for community and a source of year-round discovery, attracting a new generation of Bostonians in pursuit of good, old-fashioned fun.

subscribe to the newsletter here!
Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
Website

The Speedway · 525 Western Avenue · Brighton, MA 02135 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp