sanitation digram

Jim

Nov 29, 2010, 8:00:53 PM11/29/10
to Allmand
Hi Allmand Bros (and sisters)

I am finally getting around to my sanitation upgrade. Mind you I
believe I have an orignial Tri-cabin 31 / 81 set up that is: 1 1/2
ribbed hose leading from a manual Greco head and hand pump to a Y
valve that directs overboard or into a holding tank under the port
bench. A pump out hose is on the other end of the holding tank ( again
original) leads up to the deck. My plan is to upgrade to a Trident
white sanitation hose that goes directly into the holding tank from
the head. At the other end I am debating a macerator and a Y valve
before the pump out hose. Any ideas, or suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim -

Chris Windeler

Nov 29, 2010, 9:09:19 PM11/29/10
to all...@googlegroups.com
Don't forget your anti siphon valves.
Chris

Thanks,
Jim -

HMS Hubris

Nov 30, 2010, 3:59:04 PM11/30/10
to Allmand
I am looking at replacing the missing components of my head system as
well, I discovered that I do not have a holding tank currently and was
wondering if you could give me an idea of how large she would have
originally come with. also if anyone has a suggestion on where to find
a good deal on one i would appreciate it.

a quick picture of the tank would be to much to ask for, but hey go
for broke!

Lee

Nov 30, 2010, 4:23:54 PM11/30/10
to all...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure if your layout is the same as this one.

http://www.allmandsail.com/holding_tank2.htm

I believe that this is Hank Green old boat. From a five year old conversation that I had with him, I believe that he took out a 30 gal tank and installed a 35 gallon tank. From memory I think he said that it was around 300-350 (2004 dollars).

http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/holding_tank/L165htw.pdf

You should be able to find a fit in this PDF file.

-Lee

~ ~̃ ~ _/) ~~̃ ☼ -Lee

> --

> unsub...@googlegroups.com

kei...@comcast.net

Nov 30, 2010, 10:25:17 PM11/30/10
to all...@googlegroups.com

Lee,

I believe Jim has a slightly different set up as do I. On the tri cabin 31's (at least early ones like my 1980 version) the holding tank was under the forward athwartship part of the U shape main salon. Mine was 20 gallons I think. I replaced it with two standard 15 gallon tanks I got from Defender that just fit side by side with some tweaking (OK, maybe a little more than "some"). The plumbing fittings were on the port outboard(hull side) part of the tank and matched up well with the original Y valve and hoses.

Hope this helps.

Keith on Camelot

Jim Flowers

Dec 1, 2010, 6:37:15 AM12/1/10
to all...@googlegroups.com
Kieth,
You are correct, my set up is as you described it. I don't know the capasity of my tank, (need to check that out this weekend) but the tank doesn't look removeable with out cutting the top of my bench seating out.  One of my questions is whether to install a macerator and at what end? Before entering the holding tank or as some have suggested after tank? I believe the way I am set up today is illegal, with the Y valve coming before the tank and no lock on it. If anyone can draw a diagram of their set up that seems to work well it would be terrific.

Thanks,

Jim

Lee

Dec 1, 2010, 7:16:56 AM12/1/10
to all...@googlegroups.com

HMS Hubris

Dec 1, 2010, 7:43:34 AM12/1/10
to Allmand
thanks for the helpfull replies, I am also on a 31/81, and i didnt
really want to cut the bench apart. I will see what i can find in the
20-30 gallon range

thanks again.

On Dec 1, 7:16 am, "Lee" <sailor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is one in the files areahttp://allmand.googlegroups.com/web/KISS_head_system.gif?gda=rrIa4kYA...
> > Visit the Allmand Sail site athttp://www.allmandsail.com<http://www.allmandsail.com/>
> > Allmand Files:
> >https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0KWQYvl2FcWMGM2NzgyMTYtNDE3Yi00YWU5LT
> > gyMTUtMWU4YzlmODA0NzU3&hl=en
>
> --
>
> --

Lee

Dec 1, 2010, 7:47:15 AM12/1/10
to all...@googlegroups.com

As I looked at the link I just sent, I would add the loop vent or you would get backwash into the head.  The loop vent would go between the head and the tank and should go up as high as possible. Mine is in the cabinet behind the head. The vent goes up to the deck level.

  ~ ~  _/)  ~  ☼  -Lee

Dec 1, 2010, 7:00:21 PM12/1/10
to all...@googlegroups.com
Lee,
Thanks for the diagram. That helps a lot and basically verifies what I want to do. I assume the  the loop vent, vents to the outside deck? Also, does anyone have a macerator? Are they a benefit?

Jim

d.a.v.e

Dec 2, 2010, 4:38:13 PM12/2/10
to Allmand
I've got one, but its hooked up to grind stuff up right before it
would be pumped overboard. If yours is broke there are rebuild kits
available as well. We have two kids and our tank fills up quick so it
can be a nice thing to have as an option if needed.

I can't say I have jumped in the water to see how well it works :)
But I met a fellow that claimed he would get the boat heeling as much
as possible to the port side them flip it on to pump it out and it
worked pretty well. :)
> >http://groups.google.com/group/Allmand
> > Visit the Allmand Sail site athttp://www.allmandsail.com
> > Allmand Files:
> >https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0KWQYvl2FcWMGM2NzgyMTYtNDE3Yi00YWU5LT
> > gyMTUtMWU4YzlmODA0NzU3&hl=en
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.To post to this group, send email toAl...@googlegroups.comTo unsubscribe from this group, send email toAllmand-...@googlegroups.com
> Visit the Allmand Sail site athttp://www.allmandsail.com
> Allmand Files:https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0KWQYvl2FcWMGM2NzgyMTYtNDE3Yi00YWU5...
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.To post to this group, send email toAl...@googlegroups.comTo unsubscribe from this group, send email toAllmand-...@googlegroups.com
> Visit the Allmand Sail site athttp://www.allmandsail.com
> Allmand Files:https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0KWQYvl2FcWMGM2NzgyMTYtNDE3Yi00YWU5...
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.To post to this group, send email toAl...@googlegroups.comTo unsubscribe from this group, send email toAllmand-...@googlegroups.com
> Visit the Allmand Sail site athttp://www.allmandsail.com
> Allmand Files:https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B0KWQYvl2FcWMGM2NzgyMTYtNDE3Yi00YWU5...
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Allmand" group.To post to this group, send email toAl...@googlegroups.comTo unsubscribe from this group, send email toAllmand-...@googlegroups.com

Jim Flowers

Dec 2, 2010, 6:34:40 PM12/2/10
to all...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

Thanks for the info. Funny, those that do not own sailboats or any boat would never think that the topic of how best to dispose of waste would be interesting and necessary  :-0

Mike H

Nov 7, 2019, 8:04:45 AM11/7/19
to Allmand
This is old but I believe the holding tank port under the settee arm against the head bulkhead is only like 9 gallons. The company issued manual explanation was overboard back then was the more common practice. Other owners have had custom holding tanks made to fit between the hull and the outer cabin liner wall. though costly. I am replacing hoses this year and if necessary will cut out the 9 gallon tank replace it with 20 gallon and rebuild the settee for convenient access to the tank. Or maybe just go for the composted and do away with poop plumbing. Comments suggestions always welcome