Lymphedema Bill - H.R. 4662, the "Lymphedema Diagnosis and Treatment Cost Saving Act of 2010".

lymphedemapeople

Feb 28, 2010, 8:25:15 AM2/28/10
to All About Lymphedema
Dear Lymphedema Stakeholder,

The time for YOUR action is here!

My lymphedema diagnosis and treatment bill has been given a bill
number and
will be introduced by Congressman Larry Kissell of North Carolina in
the
House of Representatives as "H.R. 4662, the "Lymphedema Diagnosis and
Treatment Cost Saving Act of 2010".

The bill has the goal of reducing total healthcare costs through
avoidance
of periodic infections, pain and disabilities resulting from this
medical
condition.

The goals of the bill are:

to provide diagnosis and treatment of individuals with and at risk for
lymphedema according to current medical treatment standards, including
manual lymph drainage, compression bandages, garments and devices;
to enhance quality of lymphedema patient care by providing therapist
qualification requirements;
to provide for lymphedema patient education in the procedures for
self-treatment so as to transfer the treatment from the clinical to
the home
setting;
to encourage patient self-treatment plan compliance by providing
necessary medical supplies for use at home;
to expand patient access to qualified lymphedema therapy by extending
coverage to qualified, trained lymphedema therapists who may practice
under a
qualified physician, physical therapist or occupational therapist.

We have a short window for seeking Congressional Co-Sponsors for this
bill.
I urge every reader of this notice to write or call your Congressman
and
urge them to co-sponsor H.R. 4662 with Congressman Kissell, and to
write or
call your Senator to request that they introduce an identical Senate
bill.

There will be a few short windows of opportunity for all those of you
who
have had difficulty in obtaining proper treatment for your lymphedema
to take
positive steps to correct the situation. We may never have a better
opportunity!

Bob
Robert Weiss, M.S.
Lymphedema Patient Advocate