community news, week of March 5, 2017

Heather Koponen

Mar 6, 2017, 1:11:24 AM3/6/17
to apc
Community Events and Actions News 3-5-17

Have your pens ready for opportunities to participate!
Briefly:
In the recent past:
1. Presentations about Military "Accident Potential Zones"
2. Confirmed “Emma's Revolution” concert June 4th,

In the near future:
Monday, March 6: Legislative committee hearings, some public testimony.
Tuesday, March 7: Legislative committee hearings, some public testimony.
3. Fairbanks Activists Forum Meeting 6:45pm – 8:30pm at The Hub
4. Fairbanks Peace Choir Tuesdays 6:45pm
5. Fences Film Screening at Arctic Java at the UAF Wood Center,
Wednesday, March 8:
6. International Women's Strike. 3:30– 6:30pm - Fred Meyer, 3755 Airport Way,
…On International Women's Day
7. Day Without a Woman Self-Care Walk / Ski 12pm – 1pm atCreamers
8. Women's Day Pop-Up 2pm – 3pm
8a. Day Without a Woman Potluck 6pm – 8pmat The HUB
9. Day Without a Woman Letter Writing Party at Lavelle's
Friday, March 10:
10. Standing Rock and Native Nations will lead a march in prayer and action in DC
Saturday, March 11:
11. March On 5K Against the Defund 10am – 1pm
12. 6 years since the earthquake that started the Fukushima nuclear reactor meltdown
13. ACLU iResistance Training.
Sunday, March 12:
14. March for Science Planning Meeting. 4pm UAF Murie Building
Resources for Peace, Justice, and Sustainability; And events on FCAC & FAF calendars

***************************
In more detail:
In the recent past:

1. Presentations about Military "Accident Potential Zones" by Fairbanks North Star Borough (FNSB) Community Planning dept in Salcha and Fairbanks were moderately attended. Plans to restrict high-density uses such as schools, theaters and multi-family housing. along Airport Way as far west as Cowles St, as well as east of FWW, brought questions and concern. More meetings are to be held in April, after proposed ordinances get written. To see military-borough explanations and maps, go to: www.co.fairbanks.ak.us/cp/Pages/JLUS.aspx. We will discuss our concerns at the end of this news segment.

2. At Alaska Peace Center's recent meeting we confirmed that we will bring “Emma's Revolution” (http://www.emmasrevolution.com) to Fairbanks for a concert June 4th, along with more planning regarding JLUS and the upcoming March 24th potluck & movie “As We Forgive”, jointly put on with University Presbyterian church.

In the near future:
Monday, March 6: Legislative committee hearings, some public testimony. [HK: see paper]
Tuesday, March 7: Legislative committee hearings, some public testimony.
3. Fairbanks Activists Forum Meeting 6:45pm – 8:30pm
Where The Hub 410 2nd Ave, Ste 100, Fairbanks, Alaska 99701 ( HYPERLINK "https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=The%20Hub%20410%202nd%20Ave%2C%20Ste%20100%2C%20Fairbanks%2C%20Alaska%2099701" \t "_blank" map)
Fairbanks Activists Forum (FAF) is a locally-built social action network, contributing to the growth of Fairbanks through advocacy and education.

4. Fairbanks Peace Choir continues to create a culture of peace through song; It is not too late to join.Tuesdays 6:45pm at Unitarian Fellowship across from Princess Hotel. For more information call 322-2521.

Most of the next news items come from the Fairbanks Activists Forum calendar:
5. Fences Film Screening
at. Arctic Java at the UAF Wood Center, UAF Wood Center Food Court, (map)

NDAC will be screening Denzel Washington's 2016 film Fences, a film adaptation of a 1983 play by the same name written by August Wilson. The film details the experience of an African-American father with race relations in 1950s America and explores themes of masculinity, family, and the American Dream. There will be a discussion about the film afterwards.
More information: http://www.fencesmovie.com/

Wednesday, March 8:
6. International Women's Strike. 3:30– 6:30pm - Fred Meyer, 3755 Airport Way,
The March 8th women’s strike is an international day of action, planned and organized by women in 30 countries in the Global North and South. In a spirit of solidarity and internationalism, in the US, we want March 8 to be a day of action organized by and for women who have been impoverished and silenced by decades of neoliberalism, predominantly, working women, women with disabilities, unwaged caregivers, women of color, Native women, immigrant women, Muslim and Arab women, lesbian, queer and trans women. We want March 8th to be the beginning of a renewed feminist movement...

…On International Women's Day, March 8th, women and our allies will act together for equity, justice and the human rights of women and all gender-oppressed people, through a one-day demonstration of economic solidarity. The International Women’s Strike/Day Without a Woman is an international day of action, planned and organized by women in more than 40 different countries.

We encourage you to participate on March 8th in any way that feels right to you. Some ideas include wearing red or black, talking about the event with friends and co-workers, avoiding shopping for the day, supporting only female or minority-owned businesses, reposting or retweeting mentions of the event on social media, boycotting paid and unpaid labor, organizing your own event, and… joining us for one of the local Day Without A Woman events.

General Guidelines are:
All genders & gender identities are welcome
Wear red or black

7. Day Without a Woman Self-Care Walk / Ski 12pm – 1pm
Creamers Field Migratory Waterfowl Refuge, 1300 College Rd, Fairbanks,
Description
Self-Care walk / ski at Creamer’s Field: Join us in solidarity for women of all walks of life, and to practice self-care together.

[...]

If you’re boycotting: Purchase nothing; No paid and/or unpaid work
More information: www.womensmarch.com/womensday or www.womenstrikeus.org/

8. Women's Day Pop-Up 2pm – 3pm. Do you love banners & hate the patriarchy? Well, YOU are in LUCK!
Join the Hrrrl Scouts for a International Women's Day Pop-Up PROtestify in front of Fairbanks' webcams - for all the world to see.

There are varied locations, so we will break up into teams to show our solidarity for the world's women. Follow this event for more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/739678632866382/

Day Without a Woman Potluck 6pm – 8pm at The HUB, 410 2nd Avenue #100, Fairbanks,

Come join us for a community potluck at the HUB at 410 2nd Ave #100, near the corner of 2nd and Noble next to the Elbow Room sign! Please bring a dish to share (and a dish and utensils for yourself to eat from).

More information: www.womensmarch.com/womensday or www.womenstrikeus.org/

9. Day Without a Woman Letter Writing Party. 8pm – 9pm at Lavelle's Taphouse, 414 2nd Avenue, Fairbanks
Description
Please join us for a letter writing party after the community potluck, next-door at the Taphouse! Lavelle's Taphouse is female and minority-owned.

Friday, March 10:
10. Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and Indigenous grassroots leaders:
We call on our allies across the United States and around the world to peacefully March on Washington DC. We ask that you rise in solidarity with the Indigenous peoples of the world whose rights protect Unci Maka (Grandmother Earth) for the future generations of all.
Standing Rock and Native Nations will lead a march in prayer and action in Washington D.C. on March 10th "http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=hcXOZomkHzGPR%2B4FJY6gDuKicrsLjoK2" \t "

Saturday, March 11:
11. March On 5K Against the Defund 10am – 1pm
In the aftermath of the election we are frustrated, but also motivated. We will not let this stop us. We will not let politics run our health. We have been inspired by Women’s March on Washington and want to spring into action!

Join us at 10 am for the March on 5k-Run Against the Defund (walk/run) to maintain momentum and support for Planned Parenthood. Registration is $25, and 100% of the profit from this race will go to Planned Parenthood Fairbanks Office.
Day-Of: 10:00 am: Registration (Check-in) Begins. 10:20 am: Registration (Check-in) Closes
10:30 am: Race Begins
Race photography will be provided and photo link will be sent out following the event.
Costume Contest: Women In History (March is Women’s History Month)
Post-Race: Photo booth and refreshments available!
** Location Details Coming soon! ** Questions? Email: March...@gmail.com
—————
12. March 11 will be 6 years since the earthquake that started the Fukushima nuclear reactor meltdown that continues still.
From Doug: Highly Radioactive Fukushima Rain Fell In USA, Canada, Japan And ...Around The World www.agreenroadjournal.com/2012/10/highly-radioactive-rain-falling-in-usa.html?view=magazine
——————
13. On March 11, the ACLU is holding a Resistance Training. This event will launch People Power, the ACLU’s new effort to engage grassroots volunteers across the country and take the fight against Donald Trump’s policies not just into the courts, but into the streets. We’re organizing grassroots events in communities across the country to watch the livestream together. https://go.peoplepower.org/

Sunday, March 12:
14. March for Science Planning Meeting. 4pm – 6pm
At UAF Murie Building, 982 Koyukuk Drive, Fairbanks, Alaska 99709 (map)
Description
Our fourth planning meeting for the March for Science will be held on March 12th. Planning meetings are taking place on alternate Wednesdays and Sundays (approximately every 10 days) on the 3rd floor lounge (south side) of the UAF Murie Building. The March will be on April 22nd in coordination with the national March for Science in Washington, DC.

More information: https://www.facebook.com/marchforsciencefairbanks/?ref=page_internal

After next week:
Tues March 14th: New Economy Panel, free public event at Morris Thompson Cultural Center, Wendell St.

Fairbanks Diversity Council next meets March 14

Friday, March 24 - potluck and movie As We are Forgiven

Resources for Peace, Justice, and Sustainability

Alaska Peace Center Open Hours Fridays 5-7pm: Come browse our library of literature & media relevant to peace, justice, and sustainability, have a cup of tea or coffee; discuss what’s going on, or watch a movie.
—————
"Stop Trump From Starting Nuclear War
Two members of Congress, Rep. Ted Lieu and Sen. Ed Markey, have proposed urgent legislation to prevent the U.S. president from starting a nuclear war without a declaration of war by Congress.
To all U.S. Senators and Representatives: Please co-sponsor H.R. 669/S. 200 to make America and the world safer by prohibiting the president from unilaterally starting a nuclear war."
(In Alaska, you can call each congressional office via the Capitol switchboard: 202-224-3121.)
-----
Tax preparation is upon us! Like most of you, I have been unwillingly complicit in war crimes, to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars of my federal income taxes that went to wars of choice. It's tax time. National War Tax Resistance Coordinating Committee is a network of organizations that supports individuals who refuse to pay for war: nwtrcc.org/ or warresisters.org/war-tax-resistance-0
-------
aclu.org/action American Civil Liberties Union has links for action for Water Protectors, "Trump Doesn't Have a License to Discriminate", "End the culture of warrior policing," "Congress: Pass teh Voting Rights Advancement Act," and others.
Also see what ACLU of Alaska is doing to protect our civil liberties, at: acluak.org/
League of Women Voters (actually open to all) has great resources and puts on excellent political forums: http://www.lwvalaska.org/fairbanks/

From Northern Alaska Environmental Center http://northern.org/: A Just Transition: What You Need to Know

Fairbanks Climate Action Coalition calendar: http://fairbanksclimateaction.org/index.php/events-and-meetings/

Fairbanks Activist Forum calendar: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=fairbanksactivistsforum%40gmail.com&ctz=America/Anchorage

MarchonFBX: https://marchonfbx.com/alerts/,
The Hashtag #FBXaction is our local way of getting the word out on spur of the moment actions.  Are you heading out to protest immigration reform tonight and want everyone to know? Easy post it on the social network of your choice (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google+, Vine, Flickr) with the #FBXaction and, not only will your friends know, everyone that follows …
2017 Alaska State Legislature... "http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/start.asp" \t "_blank" http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/start.asp
A reminder! Today and every day: visit, call, email, write your legislators, congresspersons and city and borough assemblies and write letters to the editor about issues being acted on and affecting peace, justice, and sustainability.

Fairbanks North Star Borough assembly meets alternate Thursday evenings:
http://www.co.fairbanks.ak.us/cp/Documents/FNSB%20MEETING%20DATES%20AND%20DEADLINES.pdf

We hope to get these news bits on our web page and facebook in the future; Media help would be very welcome!
You can contact Alaska Peace Center volunteers via email in...@alaskapeace.org