Re: StratML Query Service

Owen Ambur

Sep 15, 2022, 10:56:54 AM9/15/22
to nsa...@epicomm.net, pradee...@ictect.com, jo...@vionta.net, AboutThe...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the progress report, Naval.

With respect to a subset of the files for use in the initial iteration of the prototype/demonstration, it would be good to focus on the two dozen 2022 updates to the U.S. federal agency plans listed at https://stratml.us/#WorkResults  The intent is to show how the discovery and presentation of the goals/objective in those plans can be made more citizen/stakeholder centered than currently is the case on the Performance.gov site, which is centered on the bureaucracy and making the administration look good rather than enabling users to see what is of direct and immediate interest to them.

Since Pradeep is particularly interested in DoD, the several dozen plans at https://stratml.us/drybridge/index.htm#DoD is another subset for potential focus.

As far as the search interface is concerned, the advanced query screen for MarkLogic's prototype comes fairly close.  It shows how the key elements of the schema can be selectively queried and something like it would be fine for the initial iteration.  Eventually, however, it might make sense to simplify and combine the query features for: a) goal and objective names, and b) goal and objective descriptions -- because the only difference between the meaning of those two elements is a matter of timing (goals focus on the longer term while objectives focus on the near term).

The key is that the query results listings should deliver direct links to the elements in which the queried terms appear, within the context of the plan, like this.  That's the benefit to be provided versus existing full-text query engines.  For goals, objectives, stakeholders, and values, the first two or three lines of their descriptions should probably be provided in the query results list along with the name of the organization compiling the plan.

Eventually, faceted querying of goal/objective names and stakeholder names should be provided.

From: <j...@xforms.co>
Date: Monday, September 12 2022 at 11:04 PM EDT
To: <j...@xforms.co>

Name
  Owen Ambur
Organization
  StratML Community, AboutThem.info, & ConnectedCommunity.net
Email
  Owen....@verizon.net
Describe your vertical/interest in XForms
  I'm looking for partners to develop a query service(s) leveraging the StratML schema, using the >5K files in the StratML collection for demonstration purposes. https://stratml.us/drybridge/index.htm All of their URLs are listed in sitemap format at https://stratml.us/sitemap.xml

If you think your NoSQL datastore may be up to the challenge, I'd be pleased to hear from you.

BTW, while it is not my primary focus right now, I'm also interested in seeing the PDF form that Ed Chase developed updated to accommodate minor changes that were incorporated in the ISO 17469-1 version of the schema. https://stratml.us/index.htm#PDFform

Naval Sarda

Sep 16, 2022, 9:26:54 AM9/16/22
to Owen Ambur, pradee...@ictect.com, jo...@vionta.net, AboutThe...@googlegroups.com

Hi Owen,

In one of your emails, you have mentioned that you want an ability where users can submit their own StratML XML.

We have designed few screens as attached for submission.

So first time users will fill basic information and then submit either StratML XML file or share URL with StratML XML data.

We will validate the XML file. If it is valid, then we will ask the users to verify their email address by clicking the link in the email and setup password/account after verification,

If XML is invalid, then show relevant error message.

I have been seeing your emails. I suppose there are revisions expected in XML format. But I believe we can still validate against the XML tags and data which have stabilzed and have been not been changing for very long time. Other additional tags, we can ignore as long basic needed tags are correct.

Please review attached mockup and share your feedback. You might be having different idea though regarding user data collection which you can share with us.

In the mockups, we have added sample XML format download option for users to download and also help link which can be either a webpage or pdf which shares all the details of the format needed.

We are still working on figuring out querying Xbase database. Some XML files have already been uploaded in Xbase database.

Whichever final set you provide, will be uploaded as per your needs. There are mutliple places you have mentioned. So you can consolidate and let us which is the final set.

Naval Sarda

EpiComm Technologies

SitemapScreens.pdf

Owen Ambur

Sep 16, 2022, 10:58:25 AM9/16/22
to nsa...@epicomm.net, pradee...@ictect.com, jo...@vionta.net, AboutThe...@googlegroups.com, gayaud...@gmail.com
Naval, on a quick glance, the mock-up screens look fine and I'm glad to know that you're thinking about how best to accommodate the submission process.  Before you put too much effort into that, however, please bear in mind it is not an essential feature of the initial iteration of the prototype.

As for which files to include, eventually all >5K files in the collection should be indexed and it is unnecesary to run the validation process against them.  However, as far as I am concerned, the highest priority subset is the twenty-four 2022 updates to the U.S. federal agency plans listed at https://stratml.us/#WorkResults

I defer to Pradeep to tell you if he'd like to make a pitch for focusing on the several dozen DoD plans listed at https://stratml.us/drybridge/index.htm#DoD

If Gaya is able to transform the South Carolina agency accountability reports from Excel into StratML, they would also become a priority for inclusion in the query service, along with the federal agency plans.  (I manually converted about a dozen of them but it is a very cumbersome process.)

Locally, here on Hilton Head Island, I am also anxious to include the town's and the county's plans but, again, I'd like to focus first on the U.S. federal agency plans.  (The PDF of the town's comprehensive plan is 404 pages long and, ironically, I just discovered that it is generating a 404 error at https://hiltonheadislandsc.gov/ourplan/  However, my link to it still works at https://connectedcommunity.net/HHI.html, where my StratML rendition of it also resides.)

As far as the functionality of the query service is concerned, one key capability is being able to discover goals and objectives based upon the stakeholders to whom they are applicable, regardless of which bureaucracy is responsible for them.

Owen Ambur

Sep 20, 2022, 11:34:16 AM9/20/22
to nsa...@epicomm.net, jor...@zoho.eu, jo...@vionta.net, pradee...@ictect.com, AboutThe...@googlegroups.com, jmay...@turnkey.com.au
Sounds like good progress, Naval, but the screen shot you attached doesn't make much sense to me.  It's certainly not the kind of result I'm seeking.

I'm not sure I understand some of your questions but see my responses below in [brackets].

I'm copying Jorge in the event he may have suggestions based upon his experience in developing his StratML query service prototype.
Sep 20, 2022, 11:47:56 AM9/20/22
to con...@sagebrushgroup.com, chaudry.a...@gmail.com, pradee...@ictect.com, nsa...@epicomm.net, AboutThe...@googlegroups.com
Adnan & Kurt, base upon our previous exchanges, I listed you as stakeholders in the first draft of my technical development plan for a StratML query service.

However, I we haven't had any further contact about that in recent times.  Meanwhile, I've been engaged with Pradeep Jain and Naval Sarda.

Some of our exchanges are documented in my Google groups discussion list supporting the plan.

Do you want to be involved or shall I remove your name from my plan?

Owen Ambur

Sep 21, 2022, 11:32:17 AM9/21/22
to nsa...@epicomm.net, pradee...@ictect.com, kra...@thoughtflow.io, jo...@vionta.net, aboutthe...@googlegroups.com
Naval, here are some of the primary use cases for StratML query services:
  1. goals & objectives applicable to stakeholder groups
  2. conversely, stakeholders associated with goals & objectives (including those for which we ourselves may be responsible)
  3. goals & objectives commonly associated with values (that are important to us and thus may be worthy of our support)
  4. common (and complementary) goals and objectives in the plans of prospective suppliers, customers, and partners (This use case may have the greatest commercialization potential, to revolutionize the advertising and marketing paradigm and capture revenue currently going to social networking services that are highly immature for business-quality networking purposes.)
  5. political parties and candidates for elective office whose goals & objectives coincide with our own priorities and support our values
See also the broader listing of use cases for the StratML standard itself.  Query/discovery capabilities are implicit in all of them.  However, please focus on the three requirements outlined in my technical development plan, which I will be using to track progress on the project to develop a minimally viable StratML-enabled query service.

While I encourage you to apply your own creativity, I also encourage you to collaborate with Pradeep, Jorge, and perhaps Kranthi to share knowledge/experience and avoid making the same mistakes over and over again while reinventing the wheel.  I'd like for any software development for which I pay to be made readily available for reuse and extension as open source, e.g., on GitHub, as Jorge has done.

Sep 22, 2022, 9:35:01 AM9/22/22
to Owen Ambur, pradee...@ictect.com, kra...@thoughtflow.io, jo...@vionta.net, aboutthe...@googlegroups.com

Hi Owen,

We have drafted few screens for proposed search query.

See attached.

First screen is basic search with result listing

Second screen is detailed search with more fields for searching

Third screen is detailed results screen.

We can render details result screen as per URL below by reusing the styled-XML sheets

https://stratml.us/forms2/temp-stratml/temp.x

https://stratml.us/carmel/iso/EPCMwStyle.xml

We can push our search result to URL below and output will be rendered by URL below

https://stratml.us/forms2/out.xml

The choice of search fields is very subjected.

There are several use cases, for example

User might want to find CSR report for particular year.

Now there is no direct tag for year.

If year needs to be in search criteria, then we will need the XML tag/field in which program needs to search for a year.

So you can provide search criterias. We can even have different search all together for different stakeholder type.

Based on your feedback, we can figure out next steps.

Also in your technical development plan, it was mentioned hosting, domain, etc.
Major thing was UI wireframes. For bulk loading, we have already done loading in BaseX locally. For adhoc addition, we have provided a UI which could be phase 2.

Also this URL provide a user interface / form where user can type in data to generate XML

https://stratml.us/forms2/out.xml

We will wait for your feedback for next steps.

We now understand, then we can generate styled XML where XSD and XSL (XML style sheets) renders the UI and we just need to pass on the XML data to them.

So we have proposed to reuse the two UI URLs above as we can easily pass on output XML to their XML stylesheets.

Let me know your thoughts.

Naval Sarda

EpiComm Technologies

StartML-UI.pdf

Owen Ambur

Sep 22, 2022, 11:21:22 AM9/22/22
to nsa...@epicomm.net, pradee...@ictect.com, jo...@vionta.net, aboutthe...@googlegroups.com, israel...@ictect.com, ch...@chriscfox.com, drsyafiq....@gmail.com, sylvi...@sylsellsre.com, lwas...@turnkey.com.au, kra...@thoughtflow.io, jmay...@turnkey.com.au, con...@sagebrushgroup.com, chaudry.a...@gmail.com
Excellent progress, Naval.  Both the query screen and the results screen are more complex than I've been thinking that I'd like to see in the initial, non-advanced version of the service.  Israel Condon has drafted some wire frames that come closer to what I had in mind.

However, I'm open to considering all options, and while I'd prefer if we could all work together to figure out how best to proceed, I also welcome competitive efforts.  If you can build a service that accommodates all of the complexity in your wire frames for the advanced search capability, I'd love to see how it works and particular whether others find it useable and useful.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Now there is no direct tag for year."  As shown in your wireframes, each document may be assigned a <StartDate>, <EndDate> & <SubmissionDate>.  However, those elements are not required and in many cases (e.g., website about us statements) the dates are open ended.  So they cannot be assumed to be available for querying nor do I want to focus on them in the initial iteration of the service.

Down the road, the most important dates will be those for <TargetResult>s & <ActualResult>s to be documented in StratML Part 2, Performance Plan/Report, format -- not merely for interested users but even more so for <Stakeholder>s of the performer type, i.e., those responsible for achieving them.  That's more complexity than I want to take on immediately, however.

BTW, Chris Fox's StratNavApp sends reminders based upon those dates and he would like to have us use his service to track progress in the version of our performance plan for development of a StratML query service(s) available in his app.  However, those who have agreed to be stakeholders in collaboratively updating and maintaining that rendition of the plan have not been active in using it and it takes a bit of effort to do so.  I'm cc'ing them in the event they may wish to offer any comments or suggestions.

Meanwhile, you seem to prefer using E-mail, Pradeep prefers televideo conferences, and it is easier for me to use my XForm to update the version of the technical development plan on the AboutThem.info site.  So I guess each of us will need to continue doing our best to muddle through and see what we can deliver in terms of results that may be useful to others.

Also, BTW, Chris' app includes a query feature and you can see how the results look in these screen shots.  However, it has a number of constraints that make it ill-suited for the kind of query services I want to provide at https://aboutthem.info/

Naval Sarda

Sep 22, 2022, 11:44:48 AM9/22/22
to Owen Ambur, pradee...@ictect.com, jo...@vionta.net, aboutthe...@googlegroups.com, israel...@ictect.com, ch...@chriscfox.com, drsyafiq....@gmail.com, sylvi...@sylsellsre.com, lwas...@turnkey.com.au, kra...@thoughtflow.io, jmay...@turnkey.com.au, con...@sagebrushgroup.com, chaudry.a...@gmail.com

Hi Owen,

Can you please list down the fields you want in simple search?  Also we can have video call to understand your needs about results screen. We are in GMT +5.5 time zone.

We can have either Microsoft Team's call, Google Meet or call on any other platform.

For advance search, we have checked the XML format and accordingly have choosen the fields to cover them. So it is doable to implement.

Naval

Owen Ambur

Oct 18, 2022, 10:11:14 PM10/18/22
to Kurt Conrad, pradee...@ictect.com, aboutthe...@googlegroups.com
Kurt, for some reason your reply went to my spam folder, where I recently discovered it.

If "oXml frameworks" refers to oXygen's StratML plug-in, yes, I'm still very interested in making it available again.

As Pradeep knows, I'd also like to see support for StratML built into MS Word online.

Please let me know if you have suggestions on how we might move forward in either of those regards.

BTW, Naval Sarda and his colleagues seem to be making good progress on developing a StratML query service running on BaseX.  With luck, I hope to have a prototype up and running before the end of the year at https://aboutthem.info/  I'll look forward to learning what you mean by "integrating the procedural side."

On Friday, September 30, 2022 at 06:30:37 PM EDT, Kurt Conrad <con...@sagebrushgroup.com> wrote:

Owen,

It was good to see you at Balisage this year. The progress is impressive.

To answer your question, directly, I'm not sure that I can be of much help on the query service topic. It's not my area of expertise and the reliance on written communications makes the conversations expensive to follow. Also, most of my interests around querying would relate to integrating the procedural side,

Our early discussions focused on modernizing the oXml frameworks. Is that still of interest?

Thanks

/s/ kwc 2022.09.30 15:30

Kurt Conrad

Oct 23, 2022, 6:10:43 PM10/23/22
to Owen Ambur, pradee...@ictect.com, aboutthe...@googlegroups.com
Owen,

Since we're looking for change vectors, let me launch a friendly bitch-fest...

None of the existing oXml styles really satisfy me. Authoring is awkward, even with the UI tunings.

Looking at the  v24.1 StrategicPlan template:

a. Not sure why the identifiers are displayed, they don't look editable. IDs are usually stored as @id attributes. Why not here?

b. It reads somewhere between document and form. Perhaps separate stylesheets?

c. Section borders feel weird. I use top and right to show the nesting and still maintain an open flow. The enhanced stylesheet seems to be a response. Eh

d. The hints need editing

e. I really miss a wrapper around Stakeholder, Value, etc. The flat model, at least for me, may drive some of the awkwardness. Also, if you wrap Stakeholder in Stakeholders, you could format the info as a table and improve usability.

f. This gets to an issue that Jean Kaplansky has gotten me to appreciate: trying to treat content as data. She's got some interesting horror stories.

g. The description field is a good example of this. Allowing a single text() node is data-oriented. But in the real world (the Balisage doc is an example), the lack of any substructure creates unreadable data bricks. Large descriptions need to be broken into paragraphs, lists, etc. How about adding more XML layers instead of using funky punctuation patterns? This might also help with querying.

h. XML Schema  was developed for and is optimized for expressing rigorous data models. DTDs are still common in the documentation field as strong data-typing isn't as important and DTD syntax is also a modeling language. For many years, I've noticed that documents designed using XML Schema tend to be a little weird.

To get a better feel for the design patterns, I built an authoring DTD from your schemas. It raises a few interesting questions:

.1. Why the multiple switches (doctype, document element, and @Type attribute)?
PerformancePlanOrReport kind of begs the question. How about a single doctype that supports three document elements: StrategicPlan, PerformancePlan, and PerformanceReport

.2. Element names are a bit long (e.g., PlanCore instead of StrategicPlanCore since its also used in the performance context?)

.3. Identifiers are typically stored as @id attributes, especially for machine-generated IDs

.4. There appears to be an error in MeasurementInstance. It allows unlimited children instead of a single Target/Actual pair.

.5. The Role/RoleType encoding is very unusual.

"Integrating the procedural side" goes to this data/document value optimization question.

The Community engagement process is carefully sequenced and plans should reflect the order of activities. The stratml data models are limited in both order and expressiveness (e.g., Activity-Based Management performance models).

Increasing flexibility in the schema would make it more suited for general use, including authoring of strategic plans and performance documents. This might also accelerate adoption. Is there a customization layer that I haven't noticed?

I'll keep playing with the authoring DTD to see if any other ideas come to mind.

Let me know what your priorities are for the update. The phrase "available again" confuses me, a bit. I think that stratml frameworks have been in every recent version of oXml.

Thanks

/s/ kwc 2022.10.23 15:10

Owen Ambur

Oct 24, 2022, 12:23:23 AM10/24/22
to Kurt Conrad, pradee...@ictect.com, aboutthe...@googlegroups.com
Kurt, thanks a bunch for working on this.  I said oXygen's StratML framework hasn't been accessible because as far as I personally am concerned that has been true.  On the other hand, I haven't tried to access it in recent years because the last time I tried, I was unable to do so and my impression has been that I could no longer access it.  Nor have my entreaties to the Synchro Soft folks brought a response.  Their documentation on GitHub is nearly a decade old.

If and hopefully when I can gain access to it, I'll be better able to respond to the issues you've raised with respect to how it works.  However, in the meantime, see my responses below in [brackets].

On Sunday, October 23, 2022 at 06:10:46 PM EDT, Kurt Conrad <con...@sagebrushgroup.com> wrote:

Owen,

Since we're looking for change vectors, let me launch a friendly bitch-fest...

None of the existing oXml styles really satisfy me. Authoring is awkward, even with the UI tunings.

Looking at the  v24.1 StrategicPlan template:

a. Not sure why the identifiers are displayed, they don't look editable. IDs are usually stored as @id attributes. Why not here?

[Most of the IDs are automatically assigned (e.g., by GUID generator invoked by my XForms), if they have not previously been populated.  However, in the case of the Relationship element, the Referent Identifier must be copied from the source of the referent.  Also, for the IDs associated with Goals and Objectives, they too must be copied from the orginial source when they are repeated (i.e., identical) in subsequent versions of the plans/reports in which they occur.  Moreover, to the degree that referents may be internal to a document, their IDs must be repeated within that document and thus are not unique in the sense of being limited to a single instance.]

b. It reads somewhere between document and form. Perhaps separate stylesheets?

[Not sure what you mean here.]

c. Section borders feel weird. I use top and right to show the nesting and still maintain an open flow. The enhanced stylesheet seems to be a response. Eh

[Again, I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.  However, one of the biggest shortcomings of my XForms is the inability to collapse and expand sections, particularly when goals have lots of objetives and objectives have many performance indicators.  In those cases, lots of scrolling is required and it is difficult to see where you are in the document.]

d. The hints need editing

[Will be better able to address this point when I am able to access the StratML framework in oXygen again.]

e. I really miss a wrapper around Stakeholder, Value, etc. The flat model, at least for me, may drive some of the awkwardness. Also, if you wrap Stakeholder in Stakeholders, you could format the info as a table and improve usability.

[It sounds like the framework may ignore the hierarchy of the schema.  Stakeholders may occur at three different layers of the schema -- Organization, Goal, and Objective.  Is that what you mean by "wrapper"?]

f. This gets to an issue that Jean Kaplansky has gotten me to appreciate: trying to treat content as data. She's got some interesting horror stories.

[StratML is mixed content, as I understand the meaning of that term.  The purest data is contained in the performance indicators of the numeric type but the names of goals, objectives, stakeholders, values, and performance indicators can also be treated as data or at least meta-data.  By contrast, the content of the Mission, Vision, and Description elements is unstructured text, preferably phrases, sentences, or single, short paragraph.  However, the schema does not require terseness in those elements.]

g. The description field is a good example of this. Allowing a single text() node is data-oriented. But in the real world (the Balisage doc is an example), the lack of any substructure creates unreadable data bricks. Large descriptions need to be broken into paragraphs, lists, etc. How about adding more XML layers instead of using funky punctuation patterns? This might also help with querying.

[Yes, the Description elements may be populated with excessive text.  However, if we ever get StratML back on a standization track again and we find that certain types of content are showing up in those elements, it would be appropriate to consider specifying additional elements for those types of content.  In the meantime, they are a catch-all for complexities that were unknown and could not be fully addressed in our initial KISS versions of the schemas.]

h. XML Schema  was developed for and is optimized for expressing rigorous data models. DTDs are still common in the documentation field as strong data-typing isn't as important and DTD syntax is also a modeling language. For many years, I've noticed that documents designed using XML Schema tend to be a little weird.

[Again, I'm not sure what you mean here but I'll look forward to seeing how you might be able to improve oXygen's StratML authoring/editing interface, assuming that the output validates against the schemas.]

To get a better feel for the design patterns, I built an authoring DTD from your schemas. It raises a few interesting questions:

.1. Why the multiple switches (doctype, document element, and @Type attribute)?
PerformancePlanOrReport kind of begs the question. How about a single doctype that supports three document elements: StrategicPlan, PerformancePlan, and PerformanceReport

[That is certainly a possibility.  However, if one were to be chosen, it might be the schema for Part 3 and I believe it is both too complex as well as untested to take on that role.  The realities of the standardization process also supported, if not required breaking Parts 1 & 2 apart.  Otherwise I doubt Part 1 would have achieved ISO approval or that we would have gotten around to getting Part 2 approved by ANSI.]

.2. Element names are a bit long (e.g., PlanCore instead of StrategicPlanCore since its also used in the performance context?)

[I'm not sure I fully understand your point here but it may relate to the point above.  There are two distinct but closely related types of plans -- Strategic Plans and Performance Plans.  The differences between them are specified in the additions to the Part 2 schema.]

.3. Identifiers are typically stored as @id attributes, especially for machine-generated IDs

[As indicated above it is neither possible nor appropriateto machine-generate all of the IDs associated with StratML elements.]

.4. There appears to be an error in MeasurementInstance. It allows unlimited children instead of a single Target/Actual pair.

[Each performance indicator may and often should have multiple instances of measurements of Target and Actual results.  For example, results are often reported on a quarterly basis, and targets may be changed (re-baselined) based upon experience (evidence that they are either too low or too high).]

.5. The Role/RoleType encoding is very unusual.

[Not sure what you mean here.  The concepts are fairly simple and straightforward, at least to me, based upon two decades of experience with StratML.]

"Integrating the procedural side" goes to this data/document value optimization question.

[Will look forward to learning more about how you might propose to optimize the value of plans and reports in machine-readable format.  To the degree that it may be difficult, if not impossible in the foreseeable future to change the de jure standard, the potential always exists for entrepreneurs to extend and add value to it.]

The Community engagement process is carefully sequenced and plans should reflect the order of activities. The stratml data models are limited in both order and expressiveness (e.g., Activity-Based Management performance models).

[Sounds like a propostion for value-added intermediaries to me.]

Increasing flexibility in the schema would make it more suited for general use, including authoring of strategic plans and performance documents. This might also accelerate adoption. Is there a customization layer that I haven't noticed?

[Again, I'm not sure what you mean here but will look forward to learning what you have in mind.  With respect to customization, Extensible is XML's first name and so long as applications and services can ingest and output valid StratML instance documents, the sky is the limit.]

I'll keep playing with the authoring DTD to see if any other ideas come to mind.

Let me know what your priorities are for the update. The phrase "available again" confuses me, a bit. I think that stratml frameworks have been in every recent version of oXml.

[While better authoring/editing tools will always be nice to have, my priority right now is developing a query service that leveages the semantics and structure of the StratML schemas for Parts 1 & 2.  For my personal usage, my XForms work quite well, with the exceptions noted above.  I use the Part 1 form almost every day.  There are >5K files in the collection and it seems to me that demonstrating the value of the collection is more important than improving the authoring/editing tools right now.]