More Test Results

Owen Ambur

Nov 29, 2022, 12:01:24 AM11/29/22
to Naval Sarda, aboutthe...@googlegroups.com
Naval, we just got home this evening and I started doing a bit more testing.  See the two screen shots below.

The first one shows results of a query for goals named "education" affecting stakeholders in South Carolina.  A total of ten were discovered.  However, what is displayed in the Goal/Objective Description column is not that but rather the Description of the entire plan, which in the case of the first two hits is not populated and thus blank.

The View link does now point directly to the relevant goal or objective in some cases.  See, for example, the second screen shot below, which is the view link for the first hit in the search results list.  However, that result is not delivered consistently for all of the files in the hit list.

Owen Ambur

Nov 29, 2022, 2:22:52 PM11/29/22
to Naval Sarda, Jeff Maynard, Gayanthika Udeshani, aboutthe...@googlegroups.com
Naval, inadvertant or malicious misuse of stratml:Identifiers has been anticipated, as documented in StratML tool, app, and service requirement
Goal 13: Identifier Verification & Correction - Determine when identifiers have (inadvertently or maliciously) been misused and correct them as necessary.

However, how best to do so has not been determined.  When my XForms are used to edit files and save them with styling, they should not change identifiers that have already been assigned but I've had no means to assist in determining if and when that might have occurred.  So in that sense, the query service is at least helping to identify the problem.

As far as resolving it is concerned, I'm open to suggestions but two possibilities that occur to me include:

1) automatically regenerate all of the styled versions simply by inserting the reference to the current stylesheet in the plain XML versions, or
2) figure out how to index the existing styled versions rather than the plain XML versions.

Since some of the earliest plans don't have styled versions and many of the old ones apply a previous stylesheet, the first option might be best.  Indeed, at some point in the future, it would be good to enable application of new and different stylesheets, including for example the one that Jeff uses to convert the files to PDF, perhaps as a user option.  (Another potential is to enable presentation of numerical performance indicators graphically, but such capabiity won't be needed unless and until we have a sufficient number of performance reports containing such data, e.g., the South Carolina agency accountability reports on which Gaya and I are working.)

However, depending upon how much time and effort might be required, another option would be just to document the discrepancies in the application of the identifiers as a known problem.  (When we started two decades ago, we wanted to show the difference between the plain XML and the styled versions, plus the authoring/editing tools couldn't deal with the styled versions.  So we had to have the plain XML.  However, if I were starting over today, I'd only present the styled versions and index them in the sitemap listing instead of the plain XML.)

At some point I want to figure out how best to include a modified version of information at https://aboutthem.info/ anyway, perhaps via an "about us" link on the new home page.  I may also wish to include a link to https://connectedcommunity.net/  Hopefully, I'll be able to make such edits to the text of the pages without needing to know about the software programming code.

As far as Organization queries are concerned, I don't want to address that capability until after we're confident the existing features are working well and as intended.  While the presentation of Organization Names is included in my current technical development plan, the capability to query them is not yet included in my query requirements.

However, it would be helpful to have a cost estimate in terms of delivered results rather than hours of effort.

On Tuesday, November 29, 2022 at 11:59:50 AM EST, Naval Sarda <nsa...@epicomm.net> wrote:

Please see below

Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 05:01:16 +0000 (UTC)
From: Owen Ambur <owen....@verizon.net>
To: Naval Sarda <nsa...@epicomm.net>
CC: aboutthe...@googlegroups.com <aboutthe...@googlegroups.com>
--
Thanks & Regards
Sudarshana

Chris Fox

Nov 30, 2022, 1:26:42 AM11/30/22
to Owen Ambur, Naval Sarda, Jeff Maynard, Gayanthika Udeshani, aboutthe...@googlegroups.com
Owen,

I am slightly confused here.

The point about the stylesheets is that they act on the raw XML to make it visually more readable and appealing to the human eye. Any XML file with a stylesheet can be viewed either with or without the stylesheet.

Maintaining two separate versions of the XML is neither necessary nor wise - unless you have some means of ensuring that the contents remain the same. If you do, you simply have two different XML files which are almost guaranteed to be out of synch with each other, and which have no intrinsic means of knowing that their content ought to be the same.

Similarly, from a technical perspective, there should be no difference between indexing the XML of the styled and style version. The underlying file structure is exactly the same with the exception of the one additional element which identifies the stylesheet, and that can easily be ignored.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Chris Fox
Chris C Fox Consulting Limited

Have you tried https://www.StratNavApp.com, the online collaborative tool for strategy development and execution?

Chris C Fox Consulting Limited is registered in England and Wales as a Private Limited Company: Company Number 6939359. Registered Office: Optionis House, 840 Ibis Court Centre Park Warrington Cheshire WA1 1RL

Owen Ambur

Nov 30, 2022, 11:10:07 AM11/30/22
to Chris Fox, Naval Sarda, Jeff Maynard, Gayanthika Udeshani, aboutthe...@googlegroups.com
Chris, your point is well-taken.  To a large degree, my maintenance of both plain XML as well as styled versions is an artifact of inertia.  However, here are a couple reasons that I initiated that practice about two decades ago:

1) Styling is not part of the StratML standard itself.  Hopefully, others will present the content in ways that are not only more attractive to the eye but also more useful for particular purposes, e.g., viewing performance indicators in graphical format and/or enabling commenting on particular elements.

2) Early authoring/editing tools were confused by the stylesheet reference and refused to open those files.

I'll be happy to end the practice of maintaining multiple (now 3) renditions (XML, styled & PDF) and stop maintaining my static hyperlinked index as soon as a better search and browse capability is available.  (Ideally, users would have the choice of style they prefer, as they now do in my browse listing.  Only the styled XML enables direct external referencing.)  However, browsing the entire listing is not necessarily a feature of the initial query service on which Naval is working and, as shown in the screen shot below, clicking through 202 pages of results delivered by a blank (empty) query of the collection would be pretty cumbersome.

At this point, my primary concerns are twofold:

a) how best to deal with the fact that the versions being indexed are the plain XML files from my sitemap listing and the identifiers are different in the styled versions, thus preventing direct referencing of goals and objectives in the query service; and

b) the fact that my XForms seem to be replacing the identifiers when they should only provide them when that element is blank.

Since multiple developers have worked on those forms over the years, I'm not sure when that problem occurred or what may be required to fix it.  I'm thinking about posting a proposal on Freelancer.com to rectify that problem and perhaps make some other improvements to the form(s) as well.

Any and all suggestions would be most welcome.

Naval Sarda

Dec 1, 2022, 9:24:06 AM12/1/22
to Owen Ambur, ch...@chriscfox.com, AboutThe...@googlegroups.com

Please see below

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 16:09:44 +0000 (UTC)
From: Owen Ambur <owen....@verizon.net>

[...]

1Stylesheet.png
2Stylesheet.png

Owen Ambur

Dec 1, 2022, 12:35:38 PM12/1/22
to Naval Sarda, aboutthe...@googlegroups.com, sudar...@epicomm.net, ch...@chriscfox.com, Jeff Maynard, Gayanthika Udeshani
Naval, the easiest question to answer is which stylesheet to apply, i.e., the most recent one, which is available at https://stratml.us/#Part2+ or, more specifically, https://stratml.us/forms/part2stratml.xsl

In the future it would be good to give users view options, including, for example, PDF for printing and more pleasant viewing and perhaps also styled XML including mailto comment links (for which I already have a specialized stylesheet).  However, that's beyond the scope of what I want to do in the query service right now.  In the meantime, styling should not be hard coded into the query service.

I had not anticipated having to update the stylesheet references as part of this project.  However, as a worthwhile project in its own right, I'm very open to prospects for:

a) applying the most recent stylesheet to all of the files in the collection, using the sitemap listing;

b) placing the new files in a new folder on the stratml.us site (in which case I'd update my Google site-specific query feature to limit its scope to that folder).

That raises the question of why both the plain XML and the styled renditions are being indexed in the query service.  That should not be necessary.  The search results listings should point to the original files wherever they reside on the Web, via their URLs plus the identifiers of the elements revealed via the queries.  At present, the files are all on the stratml.us site but that is not the aim in the long run.  Hopefully, plans and reports will be posted on the organization's own websites or other intermediary sites that they choose to use, e.g., Chris' StratNavApp.  https://www.stratnavapp.com/PublicProjects

I'm also concerned about the import capability and why it may take as much as 24 hours of effort to reimport the collection.  That does not bode well for the sustainability of the service.  I'll need to know more about that and what can be done to make it quick, easy, and relatively automatic to import files, as per tech requirement Goal 3: Ingestion - Support importation of StratML files, individually and in bulk.

Note: The link on "Ingestion" is an example of the result the query service should provide, pointing to that goal on the aboutthem.info site.

Please see below

Please see below

See below