National Security, Strategic Alignment & StratML

Owen Ambur

Oct 4, 2022, 11:06:08 AM10/4/22
to Joe.T...@aei.org, pradee...@ictect.com, eos...@comcast.net, nsa...@epicomm.net, gayaud...@gmail.com, zu...@docugami.com, ch...@chriscfox.com, aboutthe...@googlegroups.com
Joe, the quote of the week attributed to Kori in AEI's newsletter prompts me to think she may have an interest in the StratML standard (ISO 17469-1), among whose purposes are to realize strategic alignment as well as to facilitate the discovery and engagement of allies and partners.

See StratML use case Goal 14: Partnerships & Multi-Organization GroupsUse the Relationship elements to cross-reference common and complementary objectives in the plans of each member of a partnership, consortium, or other informal group.

See also StratML tool, app, and service requirement Objective 8.2: Strategic AlignmentEnable users to link elements of StratML files to each other (e.g., performance indicators to goals/objectives in other plans).

Two of the previous national security strategies are available in StratML format at https://stratml.us/drybridge/index.htm#NSS

AEI's about statement is also available in StratML format but may be due for an update, at https://stratml.us/drybridge/index.htm#AEI2

Note that section 10 of the GPRA Modernization Act (GPRAMA) requires U.S. federal agencies, including DoD, to publish their plans and reports in machine-readable format, like StratML.  It would be good if AEI could help: a) hold them accountable for complying with the law, and b) extend that good practice to potential allies and partners.

I hope this information is helpful.  Please let me know if you see prospects for collaboration on what is quite literally a matter of life and death.

Owen Ambur

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

Twenty months into the administration, there is no public National Security Strategy. That makes it difficult for Congress to align spending to strategy, and difficult for allies to align their policies to support ours.”