What do you call your AV group?

Derek Dombrowski

Mar 25, 2022, 9:48:44 AM3/25/22
to av...@googlegroups.com

Hello! What do you call your AV group? Specifically, higher-ed institutions that are not integrated with the IT group? As in, who would an instructor contact that is having a problem with a video projector in a classroom?

We’re looking to re-brand ourselves to better reflect what we do, but are not sure what to call ourselves. We used to call ourselves “Classroom Media Support”, but we might be branching out into spaces that aren’t classrooms, and “Media” is too generic to me. Variations on “Instructional Technology” is already taken by the computer/network group, who we’re not part of. I like something incorporating “AV” or “Audio Visual” as it best sums up what we work on, but not everyone knows what AV is.

Thanks!!

Derek Dombrowski

AMX Solutions Master, CTS

University of Wisconsin Madison

Classroom Media Support

373A Bascom Hall, 500 Lincoln Drive

Madison, WI 53706

608-265-9697

derek.do...@wisc.edu

http://av.fpm.wisc.edu

Booker, Vaughn

Mar 25, 2022, 9:55:01 AM3/25/22
to av...@googlegroups.com

Hey Derek,

Here at UNC Chapel Hill, main campus AV support has historically been known as the “Classroom Hotline”. We are a part of the greater ITS apparatus on campus. We deal with all things classrooms, from screens, to lights even furniture!

We have ring down VOIP phones in every classroom that dial our office automatically. Combined with our website, live surveillance cameras and remote tools we can address a number of classroom technology related issues quickly over the phone – hence the name “Hotline” 😊.

Thanks,

Vaughn Booker, CTS-D

ITS Classroom Hotline

UNC Chapel Hill

919-962-9734

Kara Hanson

Mar 25, 2022, 10:16:23 AM3/25/22
to av...@googlegroups.com
Learning Spaces AV Support
Kara J. Hanson
Manager of Academic Technology | Information Technology Systems and Services
146b Kirby Plaza
1208 Kirby Dr. Duluth, MN 55812
Pronouns: she/her
University of Minnesota Duluth | d.umn.edu

Karl Aldag

Mar 25, 2022, 10:20:07 AM3/25/22
to av...@googlegroups.com
Derek,

We are currently branded as the Engineering & Design group, underneath the Academic Technology umbrella, even though our design/build services extend throughout our college and into a chunk of the rest of the university, regardless if it is an instructional space or not.  IIRC, your group is fully focused on general scheduled classrooms, so I would definitely go with classroom somewhere in it, and try to squeeze in academic, as well, although that seems fairly redundant with classroom.  You are dead right about the term media, that has way too many modern meanings and connotations to be useful.

Good luck,
-kca

Karl C. Aldag (he/him/his) MLS ’90, Information Technology
Manager of Engineering and Design  | Technology Services
College of Literature, Science, and the Arts | University of Michigan
812 East Washington Street | 2160B Undergraduate Science Building | Ann Arbor, MI | 48109-1275
Email:  cal...@umich.edu  |   http://www.lsa.umich.edu/technology-services

Smith, Dwayne L.

Mar 25, 2022, 10:55:03 AM3/25/22
to av...@googlegroups.com

Classroom Central

Sincerely,

Dwayne Smith, CTS
Director, Classroom and Learning Space Technologies
Information Technology Services (ITS)
Old Dominion University
1316 Perry Library
Norfolk, VA 23529
757-683-5940 (office)

Mar 25, 2022, 10:55:11 AM3/25/22
to av...@googlegroups.com
We are Classroom Technical Services, under the Office of Classroom Management (which is under the Provost, not IT or FM).  It does get a bit confusing, since our acronym is the same as the CTS certification, and there's another CTS on campus that is unrelated.  We also do a lot of work in non-academic spaces, but we've been around long enough that people tend to know us anyway.

---

Katie MacDonald, NCIDQ, LEED AP ID+C
Engineering Manager | Classroom Technical Services | www.classroom.umn.edu
Academic Support Resources | asr.umn.edu | Office of Undergraduate Education | undergrad.umn.edu
160 Williamson Hall, 231 Pillsbury Dr SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
University of Minnesota | umn.edu
Pronouns: she/her

Greene, Andrew

Mar 25, 2022, 11:05:08 AM3/25/22
to av...@googlegroups.com

Derek,

The AV group here falls under the It umbrella, but we pretty much stand alone. The name we settled on is the Office of Audiovisual Technology and we take all classroom trouble calls.

Andy Greene

Director of Audiovisual and Technology Support

Lebanon Valley College

From: 'Derek Dombrowski' via The AV-1 Forum <av...@googlegroups.com>

Date: Friday, March 25, 2022 at 9:48 AM
To: 'av...@googlegroups.com' <av...@googlegroups.com>

Caution: This email originated from outside of Lebanon Valley College. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe

Craig Phillips

Mar 25, 2022, 11:55:37 AM3/25/22
to av...@googlegroups.com
Here at SMC we are still called Media Services.
We are part of the IT Services, Educational Technology Group.
We do get asked often if we also deal with Social Media, Broadcasting etc..., so it would be nice to re-brand to something else without the word media.
We are also not only Classroom Tech but do Events and Conferences, Zoom Rooms, and other AV related design and install services.

Craig Phillips
Media Services Manager
St.Mary's College of California
(925) 631-4233
ct...@stmarys-ca.edu

Evans, Jim

Mar 28, 2022, 7:03:45 AM3/28/22
to av...@googlegroups.com

Here at RPI we are called MultiMedia Services, most Senior AV Techs are CTS certified.

We not only run all of the AV, but also the Research Machine Shop.

Hence multimedia, we work in electrons and steel..

Jim

James J. Evans

Wadlinger, Greg

Mar 28, 2022, 9:03:43 AM3/28/22
to av...@googlegroups.com

“Electrons and steel”

Now THAT’s badass.

Greg Wadlinger

Instructional Technology

Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College

100 Tuck Hall

Hanover, NH 03755

wadl...@dartmouth.edu

Richard Nimtz

Mar 28, 2022, 9:42:22 AM3/28/22
to av...@googlegroups.com
We are Audio Video Technologies.

--
Rick Nimtz, CTS
Notre Dame Studios, Audio Video Technologies

Armand Doucet

Nov 21, 2022, 9:58:39 AM11/21/22
to av...@googlegroups.com
Our tear one support group is know as CTS (Classroom Technology Support) Our overall group is now called, "Learning Spaces". My group, which is responsible for maintaining the tech as well as designing and implementing new tech for classrooms is referred to as, "Learning Spaces Design Centre (LSDC). Not sure if that's helpful...

Todd Hughes

Nov 21, 2022, 10:05:32 AM11/21/22
to av...@googlegroups.com

Our group is call Office of Classroom Technologies (OCT).  Although I wish we were names the Office of Leaning Spaces Technology as that encompasses much more of the spaces we support.

David Chard

Nov 21, 2022, 10:29:10 AM11/21/22
to av...@googlegroups.com
Our group is called Media Technology Services, we support classroom design, integration, and operations along with Zoom administration and operations, Panopto administration and operations, dining hall and exercise facilities audio systems. digital sign administrations and our athletics NDI/QSYS engineering operations. At one time we were more focused on classroom tech and we were known as Instructional Resources Services and Educational Technology Services.

--
David Chard
Director-Media Technology Services

We can help.