Wikipedia Blocked

KO

Mar 31, 2006, 3:29:29 AM3/31/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
Wikipedia is blocked at my end. Can anyone else confirm?

From what I can determine, it is blocked at the PIE routers.

Hafsa Ahsan

Mar 31, 2006, 3:37:10 AM3/31/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
Its opening on my cable connection.

drpa...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2006, 5:16:48 AM3/31/06
to Action Group Against Blogspot Ban in Pakistan
It's blocked at my end as well. I"m in a paknet dial-up connection

KO

Mar 31, 2006, 5:30:05 AM3/31/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
Good old PIE at work.

1) Google
2) Yahoo
3) Orkut
63094808509345) Random dudes webpage

Ovais

Mar 31, 2006, 6:15:51 AM3/31/06
to Action Group Against Blogspot Ban in Pakistan
yup, it is blocked by PIE routers.

No one can deny the usefulness of the wikipedia, yet PTA decided to
block it. Now, that PTA is armed with a Supreme court verdict, they are
even more bold in banning useful content. Now, just wait until more
internet services are blocked.

BTW, we need to find someone working in ISP, so we can find out what
notification for blockade of these sites were sent. Can anyone confirm
what other sites are blocked in this round?

drpa...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2006, 7:14:58 AM3/31/06
to Action Group Against Blogspot Ban in Pakistan
How many countries in the world have blocked wikipedia? Besides North
Korea, I mean.

a sane voice

Mar 31, 2006, 7:41:08 AM3/31/06
to Action Group Against Blogspot Ban in Pakistan
looks like blocked here as well. I get a server not found message, but
the net is slow as well. Could be due to this. Welkins International,
Islamabad, lease from Cybernet.

KO

Mar 31, 2006, 8:36:38 AM3/31/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
>>How many countries in the world have blocked wikipedia?
>>Besides North Korea, I mean.

The good generals in Burma block Wikipedia.
China blocks it sometimes, but generally they only block the pages on it which they don't like. Then there is Iran.. about 8-9 countries I think.

Yasir

Mar 31, 2006, 9:21:23 AM3/31/06
to Action Group Against Blogspot Ban in Pakistan
blocked...

Network: LUMS (NTC: All educational institutes)

a sane voice

Mar 31, 2006, 9:31:32 AM3/31/06
to Action Group Against Blogspot Ban in Pakistan
not blocked. I just complained to my ISP on the slowness, and the wiki
is loading loud and clear now.

Angelo Embuldeniya

Mar 31, 2006, 9:36:02 AM3/31/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
sane,

could you please let me know what your ISP is?

thanks,
aneglo.

a sane voice

Mar 31, 2006, 9:38:45 AM3/31/06
to Action Group Against Blogspot Ban in Pakistan
Welkins International, F-10, Islamabad. They sublease their DSL
bandwidth from Cybernet.

Angelo Embuldeniya

Mar 31, 2006, 9:42:06 AM3/31/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
thank you Sane, could other people on this list please confirm that Wikipedia is not blocked in pakistan?

thank you,
angelo.

Dr. Awab Alvi

Mar 31, 2006, 9:58:06 AM3/31/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
It seems like the ban is lifted – the sleepers in our group read our emails and woke up –

But I truly believe that for six hours the ban did truly exist – as I could only read wikipedia through a proxy and not directly

Omer Alvie

Mar 31, 2006, 10:09:15 AM3/31/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
As I had initially imagined, the precedent has been set to randomly block out web sites without giving any official reasons either from the ISPs or the PTA. Unless this issue is adequately addressed, this unqualified blockade of sites will eventually continue to grow and develop into a norm that the internet users in Pakistan will be forced to get used to.

Omer

Angelo Embuldeniya

Mar 31, 2006, 10:14:33 AM3/31/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
thank you for the confirmation. Just an FYI that EFF and HREA in Boston are now monitoring this group for futher developments.

cheers,
angelo.

a sane voice

Mar 31, 2006, 10:33:35 AM3/31/06
to Action Group Against Blogspot Ban in Pakistan
Do you really think the sleepers in our group read the emails and woke
up and the ban was lifted?

Have the powers that be become sensitive?
I doubt it.

Was it a random ban to test if the internet were banned altogether,
what would happen?

You can be sure it wasn't my ISP that banned wiki. They want all the
custom they can get, and blocking will lose customers, even though they
have no competition in my locality.

We need to be realistic so we know the next step. We shouldn't ascribe
too much importance to our group, although I do think the protest is
growing and the world is slowly taking it up. There is a chance, just a
small chance, that this was a random trial ban. A more likely reason is
that some kid of a high up wanted something from wiki for his school
project, and he compalined to his papa or mama. :)

Omer Alvie wrote:
> As I had initially imagined, the precedent has been set to randomly block out web sites without giving any official reasons either from the ISPs or the PTA. Unless this issue is adequately addressed, this unqualified blockade of sites will eventually continue to grow and develop into a norm that the internet users in Pakistan will be forced to get used to.
>
> Omer
>
> "Dr. Awab Alvi" <dra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems like the ban is lifted - the sleepers in our group read our emails and woke up - But I truly believe that for six hours the ban did truly exist - as I could only read wikipedia through a proxy and not directly

sta...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2006, 4:28:42 AM4/1/06
to Action Group Against Blogspot Ban in Pakistan
wikipedia was blocked temporarily on my cybernet connection giving me
time out errors (cybernet dsl in karachi). it remained open on my
maxcom connection throughout the time this debate was going on. my
cybernet connection, until yesterday, had still blocked wikipedia from
access.

Dr. Awab Alvi

Apr 1, 2006, 5:39:52 AM4/1/06
to AGA...@googlegroups.com
Wikipedia is working fine on my Cyber DSL all day today - no glitches in
fact I even did a traceroute and everything checked out - could be just a
minor timeout on you browser

CYA

Amjad Khan

Apr 19, 2006, 4:52:45 AM4/19/06
to Action Group Against Blogspot Ban in Pakistan
Democracy..Where is democracy in Pakistan??Ailaaa...