[AGABBIP] Re: [pakistanictpolicy] PRESS CONFERENCE: Protest Against Nationwide Government Ban of Facebook / KPC on 20th May at 5:00pm

Bilal Khalid Qaanungoh

May 20, 2010, 7:30:54 AM5/20/10
to pakistan...@yahoogroups.com, PeoplesResistance, CRDP Mailing List, CMKP Mailing List, Proud Pakistani Mailing List, AGABBIP, TGP Group
déjà vu,

I really dont understand, where Quran said ' BLOCK FACEBOOK' ...till what time we will only use Quran for our own Interpretations, I guess there are thousands of sites those are not good about our sentiments...so will we block whole Internet, as far as i know there are sites against Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, so whole world should block Internet,  Even we BLOCKED EAST PAKISTAN and they became BANGLADESH as i guess they were also against Our sentiments........ and only last quote from Quran if we think we have special rights with GOD and only we are the CHOSeN ONe...

Surah 2 Baqarah (The Cow) Ayah 62,

62. Surely those who believe, and those who are Jews, and the Christians, and the Sabians, whoever believes in Allah and the Last day and does good, they shall have their reward from their Lord, and there is no fear for them, nor shall they grieve.

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Javed Naushahi <jnau...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Dear Shahzad,

Such humilating comments on a brother muslim country shall NOT be relaeased on 'Paksiatn IT Policy' group.

I can fully understand the frustration of users who are addict to Facebook. The man always feel happy when it see the face in mirror. Its phycy. Facebook has played v.well.

Those are not definitely stupid who are recording the protest.

Just follow Quran, read meanings. They made good decision.

Courts are not Stupid.

Regards,

Javed Naushahi

Date: 20th May 2010
Time: 5:00 pm
Venue: Karachi Press Club

Defenders of Internet Freedom Protest Against Nationwide Government Ban of Facebook

On Wednesday 19th May 2010, the Lahore High Court ordered the banning of Facebook across Pakistan. Facebook is the world's most popular social media network and is used by over 400 million globally. In Pakistan, over 2 million people use Facebook to stay in touch with their friends and family, conduct business, manage events, and share photos, news, and other content. A few days ago, a page called "Everybody Draw Muhammad Day" was created on Facebook asking users to submit drawings of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) on 20th May 2010. This page, interpreted as blasphemous, has triggered a nationwide ban on the entire Facebook domain.

While we recognize that sites on the Internet are used to spew hatred and incite violence, we steadfastly believe that governments have no right to control access to information. We believe that every citizen has an inalienable right to freely access information and by censoring Facebook, the Government of Pakistan has taken away that right. This action will have a very negative impact on Pakistan, especially considering that countless small businesses, nonprofit organizations, restaurants, art galleries, magazines, and media outlets use Facebook to conduct day-to-day business and share information with their stakeholders.

In 2006, the Supreme Court of Pakistan banned the entire blogspot.com domain for over 18 months over a similar incident where only one blog carried blasphemous cartoons. Thousands of Pakistani bloggers were deprived of the freedom to express themselves and interact with others. The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority now has the ability to block specific pages on the Internet and could have banned just the single blasphemous page. As members of civil society and professionals who depend on social media networks for our daily communications, we demand the immediate restoration of Facebook and an end to Internet censorship by the Government of Pakistan.

We would like to invite you to a press conference to discuss the worrying trend of Internet censorship and the resulting impact on civil liberties and the free and unfettered exchange of ideas and information.

Date: 20th May 2010
Time: 5:00 pm
Venue: Karachi Press Club

http://bit.ly/ bzuEzg

Awab Alvi

Blog: http://teeth. com.pk/blog
Twitter: http://twitter. com/DrAwab

--
WITH BEST WISHES. May the Stars carry shine upon you. May the flowers
fill your heart with beauty. May hope forever wipe away your tears. And

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

Kashif Aziz

May 22, 2010, 1:34:14 AM5/22/10
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com, pakistan...@yahoogroups.com, PeoplesResistance, CRDP Mailing List, CMKP Mailing List, Proud Pakistani Mailing List, AGABBIP
Those who think the ban on Facebook, Youtube and other such sites will going to hurt us financially, make the "west" stop sending their work to us and blah blah blah should just consider one thing. Allah (swt) is Razzaq and nobody can deprive us from the rizq that is been written for us. The ban on Facebook is not indefinite and it was really required to prove to the west that we are very serious to protect the honor of our Prophet (saw). They should not mock our religion and if they continue to do so, they have to bear the consequences.

I ask those who are against the bank on Facebook, what if somebody make a humiliating page on FB about your parents or someone you dearly love? what if somebody start a campaign to draw "cartoons" of your loved ones? what you would do?

It is really unfortunate that the High Court had to step in. It was the duty of every Muslim to voluntarily deactivate their FB accounts.

wasalam,

Kashif

www.apnijobs.com - Jobs in Pakistan and abroad

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/apnijobs

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 11:00 PM, Rehan Ahmed Allahwala <Re...@rehan.com> wrote:
Very very well said zahid

Hope we realize what we are doing soon

--
Sent from my mobile device

Do Not remember me? Visit www.rehan.com

What is DIDX? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIgGTGkTZns

Imia Familiya

May 27, 2010, 10:58:00 PM5/27/10
to aga...@googlegroups.com, pakistan...@yahoogroups.com

Friends—

Are all you who wish to have unfettered internet access able to successfully circumvent the government’s blocking order, or are there those who would like help/advice in doing so?

Best wishes,

IF

Ice

May 30, 2010, 6:13:08 AM5/30/10
to Society Against Internet Censorship in Pakistan
Some advice would be helpful. Proxies fail for me since my an attempt
was made to use my account from the states once just before the ban so
now whenever I use a proxy it asks me to enter text shown in the
picture but the picture always fails to load.

Also, even a search for proxies is restricted now. Lolz. Did anyone
notice that? This is becoming amusing now. Someone once came up with a
firefox proxy add on to circumvent the blogspot ban. Is it possible
for someone to develop something similar for the facebook ban?

Thanks.

On May 28, 7:58 am, "Imia Familiya" <imiafamil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Friends-

Imia Familiya

May 30, 2010, 10:54:09 AM5/30/10
to aga...@googlegroups.com
The best solution (if you're located in a place with long-term
cybercensorship) will usually be to buy access to a for-fee VPN for ~USD5/mo
(if you have a credit card or PayPal account). WiTopia, StrongVPN, Skydur
... there are least 40 of them. As far as I know, they're not (yet?)
blocked.

A free (therefore a little slower, ad-supported) VPN is Hotspot Shield.
Other free ones are Ultrasurf and Freegate, but they're generally targeted
toward the Chinese market (China's the only place where genuine
unblockability is really needed). Tor (and lookalike Jondo) is the nuclear
option for free VPNs, but because of its multiple-hop design, its speed
sometimes suffers.

A new, somewhat experimental proxy client is Alkasir--worked well for me in
a number of countries.

If you don't want to install a client (which all of the above require), you
can get a (browser proxy) Psiphon2 account invitation from someone who
already has an account (PM me if you want one). (All browser proxies are
somewhat suboptimal (as you've found out with the captcha failure)--compared
to VPNs--for contributing to Java-heavy sites like Facebook and YouTube
(although usually the mobile version, e.g. m.facebook.com, works okay).)

There are a few "narrowband" proxy apps (a Firefox extension written to
enable Flickr access from Iran, or to get at blocked Yemeni news, or
whatever), but all other things being equal, you'd probably rather have a
"universal" solution like the above.

More detail on many of these options is available on www.sesawe.net.

I'd be curious to hear what works for you (and/or what doesn't).

Ice

May 31, 2010, 3:04:40 AM5/31/10
to Society Against Internet Censorship in Pakistan
Thank you for the information. I was generally avoiding installing a
client but I'll see what I can do now. At the least I'll try reading
up on them. Thanks again!