Spicy Reads

ruby smart

Jul 1, 2024, 11:30:35 AM (6 days ago) Jul 1
to ABOS-Outreach
Hi Folks,

Does anyone have quick way to tell if a book has spicy content or not? We have a lot of at home patrons that devour romance and don't want anything more than a kiss on the page, but they don't necessarily want christian.  I'm hoping someone has a faster way to research this other than searching reviews on amazon and goodreads.   Thanks!!!

Ruby

M Freidhof

Jul 1, 2024, 3:12:12 PM (6 days ago) Jul 1
to ruby smart, ABOS-Outreach
This hasn't been 100% perfect but this website - https://allaboutromance.com/new-reviews/ has helped.
If not the actual title, I could at least look up the author and see if it was really spicy or mildly romantic.

Also, https://www.romance.io/ has little flame icons for books.  The problem being is, I think, they are from user reviews. So if the book is new or the person doesn't comment on the steam factor, there isn't any flame rating.

Best of luck! I had a heck of a time finding super spicy books in large print for a few of my patrons. At least, in our collection.

Marilyn
Rowan County Public Library
Morehead, KY

Susan Jordan

Jul 1, 2024, 3:24:26 PM (6 days ago) Jul 1
to M Freidhof, ruby smart, ABOS-Outreach
Try googling gentle romance or Amish romance.

Susie

Ida Fogle

Jul 2, 2024, 1:20:10 PM (5 days ago) Jul 2
to ruby smart, ABOS-Outreach
https://www.romance.io/ will give you a steam level from the mildest at "glimpses and kisses" to the steamiest at "explicit and plentiful."

Ida Fogle (she/her)
Outreach Associate
Daniel Boone Regional Library
Columbia, MO

Marsh, Katie

Jul 2, 2024, 1:20:16 PM (5 days ago) Jul 2
to ruby smart, ABOS-Outreach
Hi Ruby,

Are you familiar with the website All About Romance? You can search for specific books on there, and they have a sensuality rating for the books they review. Here is the scale they use.

Also, if your library has a subscription to Novelist, they will sometimes indicate spiciness either under "Tone" or "Mood." Not always, though. For example, both Love, Theoretically and The Kiss Quotient are rated as "Warm" by AAR, but Novelist says that The Kiss Quotient contains "Explicit sex," whereas they do not have this modifier for Love, Theoretically. I wish there was something more foolproof, but I hope this helps!

My Best,
Katie

Katie Marsh (she/her/hers)
Head of Bookmobile Services
Beverly Public Library
32 Essex Street
Beverly, MA 01915

Lisa Pett

Jul 2, 2024, 1:20:19 PM (5 days ago) Jul 2
to ruby smart, ABOS-Outreach
I do a quick web search. There are lots of romance blog/review sites that rate romance books. Between that and Goodreads, you can figure it out pretty quickly.

Jul 2, 2024, 1:20:22 PM (5 days ago) Jul 2
to ruby smart, ABOS-Outreach
Try out the website: whichbook.net

You can put in things like your mood or sex content level and it will bring up recommendations based on what level you put in. (Levels are determined by a sliding scale model).

On Mon, Jul 1, 2024 at 11:30 AM ruby smart <ruby...@gmail.com> wrote:

Holly Lilly
Outreach Coordinator
Ashland Public Library

Currently Reading
Book Cover

Brandi Sanders

Jul 2, 2024, 1:20:30 PM (5 days ago) Jul 2
to ruby smart, ABOS-Outreach
I will be interested as well to hear if there are any easy ways to tell this.

Kaitlin Barber

Jul 2, 2024, 1:20:34 PM (5 days ago) Jul 2
to ruby smart, ABOS-Outreach
Romance.io has a steam rating and you can search for books by steam level. Hope this helps!

Kaitlin Barber
Outreach Librarian
Boone County Public Library
1786 Burlington Pike
Burlington, KY 41005

DISCOVEREXPLORE, EXPERIENCE a lifetime of learning at Boone County Public Library.