Home Delivery Service Circulation Policy

Parsons, Jillian

Jun 27, 2024, 6:59:53 PM (9 days ago) Jun 27
to ABOS-Outreach
Hello Hivemind,
Do any of you who provide Home Delivery Service have specific or additional policies for Home Delivery Patrons? Do you have different policies for patrons who live in facilities?
How do they differ from the general circulation policies of your home libraries?
Have you been able to integrate these policies into your ILS software?
Could you share what your library has done?
I appreciate your help in advance!
Best,
Jillian
--
Jillian M. Parsons (she / her / hers)
Head of Community and Outreach Services

Diana Karas

Jun 27, 2024, 7:35:07 PM (9 days ago) Jun 27
to Parsons, Jillian, ABOS-Outreach
Home patrons have the same policy as our general circulation policy for our library. They could in theory take out up to 50 items (though no one has ever gone more than 8 items), and they have 3 weeks with an automatic renewal for an additional 3 weeks. We've never had to alter the policy for home delivery patrons.

Diana

Diana Karas
Outreach and Marketing
Shrewsbury Public Library
609 Main Street. Shrewsbury, MA 01545
she/her/hers

Mary Beth Adams

Jun 28, 2024, 8:42:43 AM (9 days ago) Jun 28
to Parsons, Jillian, ABOS-Outreach

Our ILS has a special designation for Home Delivery Patrons. It is its own branch, with its own checkout rules.

Our Home Delivery patrons get deliveries once a month. Therefore, their checkout period has to be longer than our normal 3 weeks. For everything but DVDs, the checkout period is 1 year. This is probably overkill, but it does allow our patrons to not worry if they’re unexpectedly in the hospital, or at an appointment, on the day they normally get their deliveries. DVDs are checked out for 6 weeks (this gives us two weeks overlap, in case we do have to reschedule a delivery or it takes our volunteer a few days to connect with the patron).

We normally cap DVD checkouts at 10, but Home Delivery patrons get 20, since their checkout period is longer, and there’s overlap (if was just 10, then they could only have 5 out a month, since, for a brief period of time, they have 5 for January and 5 for February checked out at the same time). In reality, we allow patrons to check out 20 a month and just override the warning. Same with our 50-item limit; we rarely have people bump up against that, but we did have a few women a few years ago who read about a book a day, and would request 20-30 books. Sometimes they did end up with more than 50 books on their account, but only until we returned the ones they had finished!

Our policies are the same whether they live in a facility or an apartment/home.

Mary Beth Adams (she, her)

Community Engagement Librarian

Alamance County Public Libraries

(336) 570-6981

Jun 28, 2024, 9:01:57 AM (9 days ago) Jun 28
to Mary Beth Adams, Parsons, Jillian, ABOS-Outreach
Mary Beth,
What ILS do you use? I only have a handful of home delivery patrons, but I also use and extended high school program to deliver the materials. Right now, our ILS is not set to check out for 30 days, so I have to go in a manually change the due dates.
Thank you!
Gerry

Gerry Deyermond
Assistant Head of Circulation
Memorial Hall Library
2 North Main Street
Andover, MA 01810
www.mhl.org
978-623-8421
My pronouns are She/Her/Hers
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest!

MLA Paralibrarian Section: check out what's happening!
http://mlaparalibrarian.wordpress.com/
Jun 28, 2024, 9:52:02 AM (9 days ago) Jun 28
to Geraldine Deyermond, Parsons, Jillian, ABOS-Outreach

TLC - https://tlcdelivers.com/library-solution/

I’m attaching screen shots of how it looks on our employee side of LS2 as we set up an Home Delivery Patron. On the programming side, which I don’t have access to, the staff sets up each patron type with their checkout rules. As you can see in picture #3, we have a lot of different patron types – adult with computer privileges, adult w/out computer privileges, adult computer access only, child under 17 with or without computer privileges, etc.

Mary Beth Adams (she, her)

Community Engagement Librarian

Alamance County Public Libraries

(336) 570-6981

screenshot outreach setup.png
screenshot outreach setup 2.png
screenshot outreach setup 3.png

Katherine Robinson

Jun 28, 2024, 2:43:54 PM (9 days ago) Jun 28
to ABOS-Outreach
A large part of our service surround the home/facility deliveries. Firstly we have a two person delivery team. Then there  is no question about what happens during a deliver, i.e. things stolen, books not delivered, etc. We deliver monthly and have divided our County into 4 areas. We deliver on the same day of the month, for example the 1st Wed for one area, the 2nd Wed for another area etc. When we check out we check out for a month, but our return date usually extends through the end of the due month. For example if our next delivery date is the 19th we would have the date due for materials be the 30th. This gives us time to get the materials back and check them in. They are allowed the same number of renews for that item that anyone would get at one of the branches. We have no fines or fees for our Outreach patrons, which include those that visit the Bookmobile as their main library location.
We allow 50 books but we have many patrons that go over that so we just override as necessary.  Playaways and books on CD are considered books. For movies we allow up to 20.
We also have an extensive collection of discards that we leave in institutions for residents to use. They are all discards so they can be lost or damages with little consequence. We also pull from these discard for the first 3 months of getting a new home/facility patron so that we can ascertain the way that they treat the books before giving them barcoded materials. If they do not treat the books well in that time frame we keep them on discarded books until they handle them better. ( I can not tell you the problems we have had in facilities before we instituted this policy.
If you have any other questions about the way we do it please email me.
Kat Robinson