Inquiry on Repair of Small Awning Tears (2-3 inches)

Janet Bogenschultz

Jun 21, 2024, 3:08:52 PM (9 days ago) Jun 21
to ABOS-Outreach
Hi all,

We have three small tears or worn places -- 2 to 3 inches long --  in our Sprinter bookmobile, called Rover the Roaming Library.  They appear to be from wear, and thinning, and none are total cuts yet.  Farber retrofitted the Sprinter van, and delivered it in mid- February 2020, just before Covid, so it has not been on the road long.

I am including 3 photos -- that show each of the 3 tears, each on different edges of the awning -- in case you've had experience with repairing these small tears and preventing them from getting worse.   We'd appreciate any advice or recommendations!

Some considerations discussed are:
  • Using awning repair tape, but we don't have any experience with it, and wonder if you'd recommend it or a certain brand or to avoid using it all together if it doesn't hold up well?
  • Also read on RV websites about sewing patches several inches bigger than the tear and then around the tear.
  • Another option would be to find a company that repairs awnings near us (in Dutchess County, NY or the Hudson Valley area) that repairs awnings, and tears, even this small.
Thank you for any advice or information on your experience with these types of awning tears!  You can email me directly at jbogen...@poklib.org --  or respond to the listserv.

Have a nice weekend,
Janet
Janet Bogenschultz
.
Date: Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 12:21 PM
Subject: Awning tears
To: Janet Bogenschultz <jbogen...@poklib.org>

--
Janet Bogenschultz
Assistant to the Library Director

PXL_20240617_142803208.jpg
PXL_20240617_142816009.jpg
PXL_20240617_142834739.jpg

Marcia Siehr

Jun 22, 2024, 11:13:07 AM (8 days ago) Jun 22
to ABOS-Outreach
My husband loves a product called Tear Mender. He patches canvas and other types of fabric regularly on his worksites as a tradesman. He loves it because it is indoor/outdoor and holds up to everything!

Marcia Siehr
Head of Outreach, Programs & Education
Kenosha Public Library