Reliable awning needed

Thiessen, Tanya

Jun 14, 2024, 3:52:10 PMJun 14
to abos-o...@googlegroups.com

Hello good people and Happy Friday!

We have recently launched our Mobile Library van. Things are going relatively well except for an ongoing problem with our awning – it’s a Freedom Patio manual awning (see picture below). We’ve had problems with getting it to retract properly, and it has broken yet again. Our garage manager is not wanting us to use it in the rain or wind (which really makes it useless if we can only use it on sunny, no windy days). I searched in our ABOS Google group conversations and found mention of a Fiamma power awning, as well as a Dometic Weatherpro power awning...what are you folks using for an awning that is working well in the rain (we get a lot of rain in our neck of the woods here in BC, Canada)? We did get a chill curtain to help keep out the wet and cold, which is a bit of help, but having an awning would be nicer and more welcoming for patrons…

Any/all suggestions welcome!

Thanks, Tanya

TANYA THIESSEN  |  MOBILE LIBRARY COORDINATOR

she/her/hers

Take care, stay safe, and keep reading!

Semiahmoo Library

Surrey, BC V4A 9Y9

cell 778-836-9161

Discover something new at Surrey Libraries!

Surrey Libraries recognizes that our work takes place on the ancestral, traditional, and unceded territories of the SEMYOME (Semiahmoo),  q̓ic̓əy̓ (Katzie), kʷikʷəƛ̓əm (Kwikwetlem), q̓ʷɑ:n̓ƛ̓ən̓ (Kwantlen), qiqéyt (Qayqayt), xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) First Nations and on the ancestral and traditional territory of the sc̓əwaθən məsteyəxʷ (Tsawwassen) First Nation.

McGurk, Minda

Jun 14, 2024, 4:31:43 PMJun 14
to Thiessen, Tanya, ABOS-O...@googlegroups.com
We have thrown in the towel on ours! It auto-retracts when any little breeze touches it and therefor has become useless.
We found two solutions based on the outreach. If it’s a long one (3hrs plus) we put out our branded 10x10 tent so it is worth the ten minutes it takes to pop it up.
If it’s a shorter event (2-3 hours) we found a wonderful portable pop-up umbrella on Amazon! I am including the link but we throw one of our 40lb. Sand bags over it and it’s been great. You can tilt and adjust it as needed.