Staff guidelines for outdoor outreach / temperature

Adriana Blancarte-Hayward

Jun 25, 2024, 1:02:00 PM (5 days ago) Jun 25
to ABOS-Outreach
Hi everyone,

Do you have guidelines for staff re: canceling outreach when the weather is too extreme (too hot, cold, snow, etc). Can you share please?

Thank you,
~ Adriana

Adriana Blancarte-Hayward, MLIS

she / her / ella

Senior Manager, Community Outreach and Engagement

Branch Programs and Services

Support Our Libraries: InvestinLibraries.org

The New York Public Library

Stephen A. Schwarzman Building

476 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10018

212.592.7555 | x27555

nypl.org

Whitney Hyde

Jun 25, 2024, 1:11:55 PM (5 days ago) Jun 25
to ABOS-Outreach, Adriana Blancarte-Hayward
Greetings!

Here is our policy document. It does include emergency situations & inclement weather, including heat. If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks,
Whit

Whitney Hyde
Head of Circulation & Bookmobile Services
Midland County Public Library
301 W. Missouri
Midland, TX  79701

Jun 25, 2024, 1:19:50 PM (5 days ago) Jun 25
to Whitney Hyde, ABOS-Outreach
Thank you so much Whit!

I am also interested in guidelines for staff, in addition to Bookmobile staff.

~ Adriana

Adriana Blancarte-Hayward, MLIS

she / her / ella

Senior Manager, Community Outreach and Engagement

Branch Programs and Services

Support Our Libraries: InvestinLibraries.org

The New York Public Library

Stephen A. Schwarzman Building

476 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10018

212.592.7555 | x27555

nypl.org

Mary Beth Adams

Jun 25, 2024, 1:40:12 PM (5 days ago) Jun 25
to Adriana Blancarte-Hayward, abos-o...@googlegroups.com

Attached is our policy.

Mary Beth Adams (she, her)

Community Engagement Librarian

Alamance County Public Libraries

(336) 570-6981

Jun 26, 2024, 2:26:56 PM (4 days ago) Jun 26
to ABOS-Outreach
I wrote our weather guidelines after surveying folks here! This is what we ended up with. I compiled and loosely organized responses from other systems in this document to inform ours.

We act with a little more flexibility than these guidelines imply, but we have some location partners with fairly draconian cancellation policies and needed to be able to communicate and enforce our limitations with them more directly in order to maintain staff safety. We also bought Wet Bulb thermometers to use on-site for our outreach; I found that the ambient temperature at events last year (frequently in unshaded and asphalt environments) and the temperatures reported via the NWS didn't match.
We use these for both tabling/booths and for our Mobile Library, since it's not a boardable vehicle. It's been really nice to essentially automate some of these decisions! Our staff is very motivated to see all of our commitments through, but I've found that providing them with this document has been a good reminder that our safety always comes first.

Best,
Elly