Electric Bookmobile

Marsh, Katie

Jun 26, 2024, 3:17:48 PM (4 days ago) Jun 26
to ABOS-Outreach
Hello, All!

We are starting to talk about replacing our 12-year-old bookmobile, and we are interested in an all electric vehicle. If anyone reading this has an all electric bookmobile, would you be willing to share some information with me? Specifically, we are wondering:

-How much it cost
-How big your vehicle is
-The range before needing to charge
-Whether you have lights, heat/air conditioning, electrical outlets, etc. also powered by an all electrical system, or whether you have a gas generator powering your auxiliary systems

Thank you very much!

My Best,
Katie

--
Katie Marsh (she/her/hers)
Head of Bookmobile Services

Sheri Miklaski

Jun 26, 2024, 3:38:39 PM (4 days ago) Jun 26
to Marsh, Katie, ABOS-Outreach

Also curious and our bookmobile is the same age as Katie’s!

Be well,

Sheri Miklaski

Community Outreach Librarian

Georgetown Public Library

512-819-3106

TALL Texans Class of 2021

“The only thing that you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.”
― Albert Einstein

Jun 26, 2024, 3:44:08 PM (4 days ago) Jun 26
to Sheri Miklaski, Marsh, Katie, ABOS-Outreach
Oooo! EV Bookmobile! I'm here for it! I still need to come for a ride along Katie

--R

Rhea Heaven, MLIS
(she/her/hers)
Technical Services
Revere Public Library, MA
North Of Boston Library Exchange

"To build up a library is to create life."
—Carlos María Domínguez

Valerie Baute

Jun 26, 2024, 3:56:18 PM (4 days ago) Jun 26
to Marsh, Katie, ABOS-Outreach, Sheri Miklaski
I would also like this info as ours is 13 years old, and I was wondering about Electric!

Valerie Baute (She/Her)
Outreach Manager

Bartholomew County

Public Library

536 Fifth Street
Columbus, IN 47201

Jun 26, 2024, 4:00:28 PM (4 days ago) Jun 26
to Marsh, Katie, ABOS-Outreach

We do not have an all-electric, but our bookmobile part of the vehicle (power, HVAC, router, awning, etc.) is electric. The vehicle itself is a diesel truck. I know this is the opposite of what you’re asking about, but it might be helpful information!

If the weather is “good” and we don’t have to run the HVAC, the battery lasts 4 hours or longer. But that is very rare! Usually, we do one 1-2 hour stop, then have to recharge. We got our vehicle in 2021, so it is a few years old. The batteries might be a little better now. The battery does recharge quickly, but you can’t work on the vehicle while it is charging.

If the battery gets down to 15%, the vehicle honks and turns itself on. The diesel engine recharges the battery back up to 30% (I think). It will do this 3 times before it stops entirely.

We tend to run the HVAC in bursts, then turn it off. There is a fan to circulate air.

This does limit our number of stops a day. We tend to do one or two most days, and three on the rare day we need to. At events, we plan for the Mobile Library to be “open” for 3 or 4 hours at most.

Ours is a 36 ft. long vehicle. I don’t know the cost because that wasn’t my department; maybe someone else can comment on that!

Mary Beth Adams (she, her)

Community Engagement Librarian

Alamance County Public Libraries

(336) 570-6981

Jun 26, 2024, 5:49:02 PM (3 days ago) Jun 26
to Marsh, Katie, ABOS-Outreach, Sheri Miklaski
Ours is also 12 yrs. old and looking to replace within a couple years perhaps. Following....