Seeking volunteers to fill leadership positions on ALA's Library Services for Dementia/Alzheimer's Interest Group

Mary Beth Riedner

May 16, 2024, 6:11:02 PMMay 16
to ABOS-Outreach

ALA's Interest Group for Library Services for Dementia/Alzheimer's (LSDA) is seeking  volunteers to fill one of several openings on our Leadership Team for the upcoming 2024/25 year.  Since we did not have a Chair Elect last year, all of the positions are available except for Past Chair.  We are looking for volunteers who have a passion for working with those living with dementia and their care partners.  You can channel that passion into creating new and vibrant ways to improve the quality of life for your patrons living with dementia. Since this is a field which is growing, you can help guide how these services develop throughout the country.  Whether you have a lot of experience or are just beginning, you can make a difference!

Please take a look at the attached job descriptions and see where you might best be able to serve.  While there are monthly online meetings, all other time commitments are flexible and are based on your schedule.   Most communication occurs via text or email.  You do not need to be a member of ALA to volunteer.  Just send an email to Mary Beth Riedner (mbr...@comcast.net ) indicating which position is the best fit for you by May 31, 2024.  Thanks for seriously considering this opportunity.

Mary Beth Riedner

Communications Chair, LSDA/ODLOS/ALA

LSDA Leadership Team - job descriptions - 2024-25.docx

Karen Quest

May 21, 2024, 1:25:01 PMMay 21
to ABOS-Outreach
Hello all,

While I am not in the position at the moment to volunteer for this wonderful interest group, I would like to share a short paper I wrote for a MLIS course I had called Emerging Technologies. The instructions were to take one of the technologies we studied and match it to a community in need that would benefit from the technology. Caveat: I had no library experience while I was a student and have been a librarian for just over one year. My hope is that by sharing this paper, it might be helpful to anyone working with this population.

Sincerely,

Karen Quest, MLIS

Audrey Lilley

May 23, 2024, 4:37:05 PMMay 23
to ABOS-Outreach
Hello everyone!
Our bookmobile has both single-sided and double-sided rolling booktrucks as well as a rolling flat-topped desk cart. They are all from ACORE. We are in the market for some waterproof booktruck covers.

I'm hoping for something fitted that would go over the top like a grill cover, at least for the single and double-sided trucks. We currently have covers that are just big rectangles of fabric that blow all around in rainy weather. We bring our carts on and off the Bookmobile several times throughout the day, so I'd like something that works better to help protect our materials.

<-- something like this?

Does anyone have any waterproof booktruck covers that they love, either from ACORE or another company?

Thank you for your help!
Audrey

Audrey Lilley
Bookmobile Coordinator
Library System of Lancaster County
1866 Colonial Village Lane, Suite 107
Lancaster, PA 17601
Pronouns: She/Her

Sheri Miklaski

Jul 5, 2024, 12:15:52 PM (2 days ago) Jul 5
to Audrey Lilley, ABOS-Outreach

Hey Audrey,

I see that no one replied to your ACORE cover question, at least not to the entire group. During an Outreach Team meeting while we were brainstorming, a former colleague suggested that ACORE and A. Rifkin go into a collaboration with ACORE providing measurements and A. Rifkin manufacturing a larger cover for the ACORE book trucks. I think that many of us would purchase this product and I plan on mentioning it directly to both companies when I see them at ABOS in Indy in October.

Be well,

Sheri Miklaski

Community Outreach Librarian

Georgetown Public Library

512-819-3106

TALL Texans Class of 2021

“The only thing that you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.”
― Albert Einstein

Jul 5, 2024, 3:39:13 PM (2 days ago) Jul 5
to Sheri Miklaski, Audrey Lilley, ABOS-Outreach
 I know this might not be helpful any more if ACORE doesn't sell them but in 2021 we bought cart covers off them. They came in different colors and different sizes for the doubles and side sided carts. Maybe reach out and see if they still sell them. Pictures to show how they fit.IMG_0252.jpgIMG_0251.jpg

--
Holly Lilly
Outreach Coordinator

Currently Reading