E-Readers for Mobile Service/Homebound Patrons

Rudy Trevizo

Jun 4, 2024, 5:28:13 PMJun 4
to ABOS-O...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone,

We are looking to pilot adding loanable e-readers to our Mobile Service patrons who are unable to make it into a branch and are often limited in their ability to learn new technology/ obtain titles they would like to read in a Large Print/ accessible size font. Have any of your systems implemented e-reader check outs and which devices have you found that offer an affordable price point and a good amount of features for patrons? I’ve looked at Kobo because of it’s integration with Overdrive but I would love to hear from anyone who has first hand experience with these sorts of library materials.

Thank you for any and all information you can share 😊

Rudy Trevizo | Library Associate

He/Him

Kitsap Regional Library Logo

o | (360) 447-1213

Mobile Services
1301 Sylvan Way
Bremerton, WA 98310

KRL.org - Inspiration starts here.

All emails and attachments sent to and from Kitsap Regional Library are public records and may be subject to disclosure pursuant to the Public Records Act (RCW 42.56).

Heather Fisher

Jun 5, 2024, 7:28:17 AMJun 5
to ABOS-O...@googlegroups.com, Rudy Trevizo
We'd like to do the same so I'm interested to hear what others have found that works. Thanks!

Heather Fisher

(she/her/hers)

Outreach Associate

Westerville Public Library

126 S. State St.

Westerville, OH 43081

hfi...@westervillelibrary.org

614-259-5034 or

614-882-7277 ext. 2106

Jun 5, 2024, 8:22:51 AMJun 5
to Heather Fisher, ABOS-O...@googlegroups.com, Rudy Trevizo
We are just starting this project but our Ipads were purchased through a grant.  We have created themes for each device-Romance, Westerns etc. I also have 5 coming with different items for Activity Directors to use for programming purposes or one on one's.  I thought this information might be helpful.

I would be interested if anyone has some tracking system for usage or some other tracking that might be easily used for tracking ipad/e-reader usage.

Thank you,

--

Robbie K. Apt
Outreach Manager

Allison Eckhardt

Jun 5, 2024, 11:09:37 AMJun 5
to ABOS-Outreach
We are also interested in this topic.  I have ideas of what this can look like, but have not gotten very far as we have new leadership coming on board in our district so many things have been on hold.  We have a few patrons that currently have their own devices and we are placing holds for them through the Libby app.

Allison Eckhardt
Outreach Services Manager
Springfield-Greene County Library District
4653 S. Campbell Avenue
Springfield, MO 65810
417-616-0577

ruby smart

Jun 5, 2024, 2:53:58 PMJun 5
to ABOS-Outreach
What application are you using for books?  We are in the early stages of thinking about this but we want the e-readers per-loaded with genre specific books.

Heather Fisher

Jun 6, 2024, 10:04:34 AMJun 6
to Allison Eckhardt, ABOS-Outreach
We had a patron who had his own Kindle - we placed holds for him and, when we delivered to his facility, downloaded the books. I'd like to do something like that for a larger group using devices we lend to them.