volunteer tasks

J Anders

Jun 11, 2024, 1:16:52 PMJun 11
to ABOS-Outreach Google Group (Listserve)
Hello,

We work with organizations that have adult clients with disabilities. Sometimes they volunteer for us. Do ya'll have tasks that you give to similar volunteers? Thanks!

Denise Sticha

Jun 11, 2024, 3:16:51 PMJun 11
to J Anders, ABOS-Outreach Google Group (Listserve)
We do have a few developmentally disabled adults that volunteer with us under the supervision of their program agency. We don't use them on the bookmobile, but instead these volunteers love to wash toys. (we have a "yuck bucket" for parents/caregivers to place toys in when children are done playing). They also like to shred paper, so we save all of our paper shredding for these volunteers.

---

On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 1:16 PM 'J Anders' via ABOS-Outreach <ABOS-O...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hello,

We work with organizations that have adult clients with disabilities. Sometimes they volunteer for us. Do ya'll have tasks that you give to similar volunteers? Thanks!

Kathleen Mayo

Jun 11, 2024, 3:23:21 PMJun 11
to J Anders, ABOS-Outreach Google Group (Listserve)
It would be helpful to know the types of disabilities you are referring to.  That term covers a wide range of conditions.

Kathy Mayo, retired outreach manager

Christine Johnson

Jun 11, 2024, 3:29:48 PMJun 11
to Kathleen Mayo, J Anders, ABOS-Outreach Google Group (Listserve)

At a previous library where I worked, we had folks help with stamping and marking out barcodes on our library’s discards.

Regards,

Chris

Christine M. Johnson

Library Director

Waterford Public Library

49 Rope Ferry Road

Waterford, CT  06385

860-444-5805

Sign up for our e-news at WaterfordPublicLibrary.org

Follow us on Facebook & Instagram!

Jun 12, 2024, 7:25:48 AMJun 12
to Kathleen Mayo, ABOS-Outreach Google Group (Listserve)
Hi! It's actually a very wide range of organizations, so anything you could suggest would be helpful. Thanks,

Leslie Sutherlin

Jun 12, 2024, 9:58:50 AMJun 12
to Kathleen Mayo, J Anders, ABOS-Outreach Google Group (Listserve)
I worked at a high school library and frequently had students from our classroom of intellectual disabilities work in the library, some with assistants and some on their own.
Things they could be taught to do were cleaning table tops,  dust, shelves, disinfect toys, folding or stapling, bag items for programs, collate marketing materials, put chairs up for cleaners.  Ones who had a little bit more functioning were also taught through a schedule board how to check in materials, shelve materials, make photo copies, put out decorations.  The task often depends on the person and whether they have help.

A great session I attended at PLA was about outreach for adults with intellectual disabilities.  They have a facebook group Library Programming for Adults with Intellectual Disabilities. Someone on there might have more ideas.

Leslie Sutherlin
Director
Aurora Public Library District
414 Second St.
Aurora, IN 47001
SUMMER READING 2024—Adventures begins at your Library!

I am reading Louder than Hunger by John Schu.

Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2024 3:23 PM
To: J Anders <jacked...@yahoo.com>
Cc: ABOS-Outreach Google Group (Listserve) <abos-o...@googlegroups.com>

J Anders

Jun 14, 2024, 1:44:27 PMJun 14
to Kathleen Mayo, Leslie Sutherlin, ABOS-Outreach Google Group (Listserve)
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!