School visits for those with smaller vehicles (32 feet and under)

Savitri Santhiran

Jun 12, 2024, 6:31:38 PMJun 12
to ABOS-Outreach
Hello fellow outreach staff,

For those who regularly visit schools in a smaller vehicle, what do the visits look like? In our very large, old bookmobile, we could see full classes of 25-30 students and each class would have 15-minutes per visit. In our new vehicle, we can comfortably fit 15 students at one time. So, we'll have to develop a model that works for the short amount of time that schools can spare for a library visit and for our small space. Our library system only has one mobile library vehicle. Curious to learn how other libraries do it.

Thank you for your time and for sharing!

Savitri Santhiran

She/Her

Community Services Coordinator/Mobile Library Manager

Saint Paul Public Library

savitri....@ci.stpaul.mn.us

651-266-7452

Tameka Roby

Jun 13, 2024, 1:11:25 PMJun 13
to Savitri Santhiran, ABOS-Outreach

We have a mix of vehicles, and when our large units are on the fritz, our “regular” vans and cars still provide bookmobile visits to the schools.  It is just more labor intensive.

If we are in a van—think cargo or minivan—we bring books in bags and wagons.  We either go inside and set up (like a lobby stop for seniors), we call them “pop-ups” or we bring a canopy tent, set up on the side or rear of the van and use carts, tables, and bags for display and set up.  We check out using laptops or tablets.

If we are in a sprinter—we bring some students on board to browse, and we set up book carts/tables under the awning.  We have a staff manning the unit inside and one outside to perform checkout/return.

Thanks,

Tameka

Tameka L. Roby

Bookmobile and Outreach Services Manager

East Baton Rouge Parish Library

3434 North Boulevard

Baton Rouge, LA 70806

225.302.5515 ext 3

Bookm...@ebrpl.com

Jun 14, 2024, 3:33:15 PMJun 14
to Tameka Roby, Savitri Santhiran, ABOS-Outreach
Our bookmobile only fits about 10 students at a time so depending on the need of the school- we schedule it for about 1 minute per child so a class of 30 kids get 30 minutes to rotate through the vehicle.
For some schools- we may visit 2-3 days during the week to accommodate the whole school. For others- we only visit for certain grade levels or needs.

Jun 14, 2024, 3:33:20 PMJun 14
to Savitri Santhiran, McGurk, Minda, Tameka Roby, ABOS-Outreach
We have a Sprinter Van, what's worked best depending on what type of visit it is, is visiting during a recess so the kids can come on at their own pace. If we're coming at a set time, they are usually with a teacher. We try to park next to the playground or safe hangout area. The teacher sends about 6 kids at time and the other kids hang out until their turn. When the kids come off with a book, they are told to sit down and read until everyone has had their turn.

Best!

Kim Smith | Public Services Manager
Monterey Public Library | 625 Pacific St, Monterey, CA 93940
p: 831-646-2093  |  ksm...@monterey.org  |  she/her
www.monterey.org/library | California's First Public Library ~ est. 1849
Open Tuesday - Saturday 10am-6pm

Jun 18, 2024, 11:01:56 AM (12 days ago) Jun 18
to McGurk, Minda, Tameka Roby, Savitri Santhiran, ABOS-Outreach
We have a 35' bluebird, and we visit all 3 of our county schools. We usually are at each school 3-4 days. We have a schedule that the teachers sign up on that have spots ranging from 15-25 minutes. Smaller classes don't need as long as the younger classes. We also schedule 5 minutes between the spots for reshelving so we are ready for the next class.