Families going to ATIA FYI

Shannon

Jan 5, 2015, 9:23:51 AM1/5/15
to aacpa...@googlegroups.com

Survival_Guide_copy.jpg2015 ATIA PRE-CONFERENCE SESSION (PRE-14)

Whether you or someone you know is a beginning or expert user of augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) systems, AAC can be challenging. No two AAC users are exactly alike and each one faces unique learning curves to effective communication. There are many forms of AAC, including no-tech, low-tech and high-tech; there are numerous intervention approaches and strategies to help AAC users and their communication partners improve their skills; and there is a myriad of AAC products on the market to help.

As a visitor to ATIA, you may be wondering:  Where do I begin? What kind of AAC tools and strategies are appropriate to help me and/or my loved one become a more effective communicator? Are there new products and services available to help?

If you’re asking yourself any of these questions, join us at the ATIA PRE-14W: Survival Guide for AAC.

This unique interactive session is designed to help you understand you or your loved one’s AAC needs and how to address them by:

  • Providing a theoretical framework for AAC, including how AAC users develop language skills

  • Identifying the AAC user’s language and literacy skills

  • How to evaluate AAC technology and interventions to match the user’s needs

We’ll help you develop an “ATIA Exhibit Hall Survival Plan” to map out which exhibitors to see and sessions to attend in order to make the most of your visit to ATIA.

Plus, you’ll have the opportunity to connect with other AAC individuals and families of AAC users to share ideas, discussion and networking.

Agenda:

8:00 am

Welcome remarks by Katya Hill, Ph.D., CCC-SLP

Introduction to “Language & Literacy Milestones Checklist”

8:30 am

Using Language and Literacy Milestones to Guide AAC Decisions

10:00 am

Breakout session I: Prioritize your ATIA Exhibit Hall Outcomes

11:00 am

Matching AAC Technology to the User’s Needs

12:15-1:15 pm

Lunch (on own)

1:30 pm

Virtual tour of the ATIA exhibit hall

2:30 pm

Breakout session II: Parent discussion groups led by ICAN Talk Clinic staff

-          Completing your “ATIA Exhibit Hall AAC Survival Plan”

-          ATIA Exhibitor Hunt Card

3:15 pm

Wrap-up and Q&As

4:00 pm