Guidance and Resources

janna15

Dec 13, 2013, 2:24:10 PM12/13/13
to aacpa...@googlegroups.com
My son is 6 and is uses a Vantage Lite on 60-sequence. He has had the talker since he was 3 and is making some progress on it lately.  I'm looking for resources how to plan for his language/communication development with the talker as we recently began homeschooling him.  I am aware of the AAC language lab.  I guess I looking for some other suggestions for on how to promote more usage of the device.  My kiddo isn't always motivated to use his talker plus his attention span can be short.  I'm always redirecting him to the device.  Like he will bring me a cup for a drink or the remote for the tv.   We then go to the talker to model the appropriate communication.  It just seems like his tolerance is low sometimes to work on planned tasks and I'm looking for more insights.  I'd love to hear from AAC users or parent with older kids that have navigated these early times.  I really want a play book for next steps...anybody know of one?  Just kidding...but I guess I wanted to hear from others on what works for you to drive communication via the device.

Other areas that I love feedback is teaching reading with nonverbal child and ideas for including siblings too would be great.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!
Janna

Mom to Wyatt, 6 autism & corpus callosum disorder, his twin brother Lane, and big brother, Owen, 8.