Re: Digest for aacparents@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Nancy LeGendre

Mar 19, 2014, 2:02:35 PM3/19/14
to aacpa...@googlegroups.com
I've been searching for best aug comm practices in teaching my non-verbal children how to let us know what hurts/ where they hurt.  Possibly the most difficult aspect of our lives is trying to figure out what body system is affected when the girls cry or are in obvious pain.  Their medical care borders on veterinary style care, relying on body language, what illnesses others around them may have, or possibly behavioral clues.

Any help here?  Thank you, Nancy

On Mar 19, 2014, at 1:51 PM, aacpa...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/aacparents/topics

    Shannon <sca...@aacinstitute.org> Mar 19 06:09AM -0700

    The AAC Institute has asked me to pick five topics that parents would be
    interested in online learning about or receive some type of online
    training. I have until noon tomorrow to submit these ideas. I look
    forward to hearing what the group has to say.

    Have a great day
    Shannon

Shannon

Mar 19, 2014, 2:28:01 PM3/19/14
to aacpa...@googlegroups.com
Nancy,

I will bring this to the attention of the Institute.  This sounds like an excellent topic for us all to learn about.  I will also look into assisting you in finding some answers for now.

Best
Shannon

Lisa Herren

Mar 19, 2014, 3:23:16 PM3/19/14
to aacpa...@googlegroups.com
Using Pragmatics when using AAC:  how to interject into a conversation of
natural speakers, turn taking, etc.

Assessing your communication partners:  talking with natural speakers is
very different than talking with other AAC users

Using settings within the device appropriate to different situations; e.g.,
speak one word at a time versus speaking an entire sentence.

Just a few suggestions.  I will be very eager to hear what other parents
suggest.

Lisa Herren

On 3/19/14 12:51 PM, "aacpa...@googlegroups.com" <aacpa...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

 Today's Topic Summary
Group: http://groups.google.com/group/aacparents/topics
  • Asking for input <#group_thread_0> [1 Update]

Asking for input <http://groups.google.com/group/aacparents/t/11a9c30754a340c1>

Shannon

Mar 19, 2014, 3:45:20 PM3/19/14
to aacpa...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your suggestions I have forwarded them on.  If you think of any more just let me know :)

Shannon

mcda...@aol.com

Mar 20, 2014, 6:38:58 AM3/20/14
to aacpa...@googlegroups.com
        Nancy,  I know with our young son I would ask ?'s (yes no) by splitting up the body into several different sections head,arms,chest.  For the belly I would use the belly button as a marker above, below, right or left side.   We would also ask about what type of pain ie ache, stabbing, pulsing and then ask how bad and go from 1 to 10.  Not sure if this helps or not.  I am a nurse so I had a lot more back ground info on someone's systems and what could be wrong.  Hope this helps some.  M-C