Thank you for the warm welcoming

Shannon

Mar 10, 2014, 11:16:05 AM3/10/14
to aacpa...@googlegroups.com

Hi!

Thanks for sharing about your child’s use of AAC!  I’m seeing a lot of successful use of various AAC strategies at the office.

As a reminder, since I’m new to the group, I don’t feel comfortable commenting on any specific AAC product.  However, I will direct group members to various resources that may relevant to a current discussion topic.  Given the interest in Apps and mobile devices, the AAC Institute’s Board approved a related Position statement in 2011.  The statement can be found at our Facebook page.  In addition, our clinical staff created a valuable AACtion Point on “iPads, Apps and AAC” that I attached.  This can be downloaded from http://www.icantalkclinic.com/aaction-points.html

Given my experience meeting families and children using AAC here so far, I recognize the importance of the time needed for an evaluation and learning about all the features and functions that may or may not be available on an app before selecting something.

I hope more of you will share your thoughts and ideas about how to improve our discussion.

Have a great day!
Shannon

Pam Harris

Mar 10, 2014, 12:10:59 PM3/10/14
to aacpa...@googlegroups.com
Shannon,

Is Robin still a member of the list? Has she moved onto another role?

Pam Harris

Shannon

Mar 10, 2014, 12:31:02 PM3/10/14
to aacpa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the question.  I guess people would like to know about Robin, if you've been on the list for a long time.  Since her twins experienced severe medical issues a few years ago that have improved along other family events, Robin is no longer with the AAC Institute or contributing to our discussion list.  She's always welcome to provide a comment given her experience.

By the way, the AAC Institute has confirmed with ATIA that we will be organizing a family event at the 2015 conference.  Yippee!  Also, we are in discussions with Closing the Gap to re-start our parent event at that venue too.  Hopefully, you'll be seeing more family-friendly events from us in the future - that includes our parent trainings at summer amp.

Oh, and don't forget to check out this year's ICAN Talk AAC Summer Camp by visiting www.icantalkclinic.com and watching the video of last year's camp.  I'm very excited that my daughter and I will be able to participate this July too.

I look forward to meeting some of you soon!

Shannon

Gayle Rich

Mar 12, 2014, 12:02:16 PM3/12/14
to aacpa...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Shannon for that link. I will also make sure the speech therapist and rec staff at my daughter's home is aware of the resource.
Gayle

Shannon

Mar 12, 2014, 12:34:35 PM3/12/14
to aacpa...@googlegroups.com
You are welcome Gayle! Hope you have a great day.
Shannon