Ethics an Absolute MUST in Lobbying

1 view

commish

Jul 5, 2010, 4:55:31 PM7/5/10
to Ethical Lobbyists In Training
Ethics practiced diligently could be the public relations life saver
that lobbying as a profession desperately needs to
combat the media firestorm that has been accepted by an already
panicked public opinion.

There are many sides to the practice of offering lobbying
services. To borrow a phase, LOBBYING HAS IT’S GOOD, IT’S BAD, AND
IT’S UGLY.

We can’t all be the elite lobbyists, like Bob Dole,former republican
majority leader, or Tony Podesto, former lawyer who spent time raising
money for members in both parties, working on presidential campaigns
ranging from George McGovern to Bill Clinton. More ex congressmen,
have become lobbyists than possibly any other profession.

When the bill to impose stricter provisions to regulate lobbying was
being debated, many members said, “ don’t pass anything to make it
harder for me to register as a lobbyist when I get out of congress.”
Originally a waiting period of 2 years was required before a former
member could register as a lobbyist. It was finally agreed that a
one year wait would be sufficient. They simply could not wait to use
their reputation, their congressional know how, and their many
contacts and personal friendships made in the House and Senate. There
are so many perks that a former member has AFTER leaving office, such
as full privileges to the floor of either body; a rare privilege which
normally a lobbyist could never expect.

Unfortunately there are all too often some lobbyists who should know
better, who mislead a prospective client by
magnifying their personal political connections claiming they enjoy a
first name basis with just the right people. Unless the claims of a
close relationship are legitimate, serious relationships can be
expected. And obviously, ethics were ignored.

Within the realm of tens of thousands of reliable, sensible men and
women who are registered to lobby, there always a few who forget that
Lobbyists are not Legislators. We do not belong to that august
private club known as the Congress. And that is particularly why
strict ethics should be remembered at all times.