Re: Web9: Final Status Update

Uriel

Aug 22, 2007, 9:18:01 AM8/22/07
to plan9...@googlegroups.com, 9p-ha...@googlegroups.com
Wow, impressive!

Great job, and it will be very nice to see php9p inside the standard
php distribution soon.

I also think thanks are due to Kris Maglione who wrote libixp and
certainly answered more questions in irc about this project than me
:)

Best wishes to all

uriel

P.S.: CC-ing 9p-hackers because this should be of interest there also.

On 8/22/07, Anant Narayanan <an...@kix.in> wrote:

> Hi All, Maht,
>
> It's been a few days since the official GSoC deadline passed, but I
> thought it would be appropriate to give a final status update on the
> Web9 project.
>
> PHP9P
> --
> * The client works fully and I haven't had a lot of trouble with it.
> Two examples are included in the source for PHP developers to look at,
> since the documentation is incomplete. You basically create an object
> of the IxpClient class and use its methods to work with the server.
>
> * The server portion does *not* work yet (the IxpServer class, in
> particular, which you would use to create your own 9P filesystems).
> I've scrapped that part of the code for now, it exhibited a lot of
> unpredictable and buggy behaviour. I'm on the verge of doing the
> implementation differently.
>
> JS9P
> --
> This part of the project consists of three portions:
>
> * JS9P.Base is the basic 9P implementation in JavaScript to create and
> decode all types of 9P messages. The README file explains in detail
> what the interface is like, but basically you call encodeMessage() to
> create a new 9P message and decodeMessage() to decode one.
>
> * Angled is a firefox extension built on JS9P.Base and uses XPCOM
> sockets to communicate with the 9P server. Angled can currently
> display files exported by a 9P server in your browser window. It works
> fine for text files and certain types of binary files. More details
> and screenshots of Angled in action at:
> http://summerofcode.wordpress.com/2007/08/22/say-hello-to-angled-01/
>
> * JS9P.XHR uses JavaScript's XMLHttpRequest to transport 9P messages.
> It is probably not a good 9P implementation, but was very useful in
> determining the correctness of JS9P.Base. XHR basically sends a comma-
> seperated list of Base64 encoded messages to listener.php (also
> included in the source). The PHP scripts then sends those messages, in
> order, to the 9P server and records all responses. The responses are
> sent back as an HTTP response in a JSON-encoded JavaScript array.
> JS9P.XHR calls JS9P.Base to decode the messages, again, in-order and
> displays the appropriate results.
>
> Future Plans
> --
> * Finish the IxpServer implementation. Write documentation and bring
> the extension up to the standards of regular PHP extension and then
> propose for inclusion with the mainstream PHP distribution.
> * Find out why Angled doesn't read all types of binary files well (pdf
> and doc in particular) and fix it.
> * Create a XUL-based GUI for Angled so users can not only read, but
> also modify, delete and create files. This includes displaying a tree-
> like structure for directory listing. This may also require
> implementing authentication.
> * Create an AJAX-ish/Web2.0 UI for use with JS9P.XHR.
> [...]

maht.l...@googlemail.com

Sep 2, 2007, 3:30:29 PM9/2/07
to 9p-ha...@googlegroups.com

Well done Anant, I hope you enjoyed learning about 9p and Plan 9 From
Bell Labs.

At least enough to draw you away from that silly web browser platform :)

9p in the PHP distribution would be good p.r.

Perhaps we also need a Glenda Certification Programme to validate 9p code !

Matt