[ANN] 9mount 1.2 released

sqweek

Jun 20, 2008, 8:30:19 AM6/20/08
to 9p-ha...@googlegroups.com, v9fs-...@lists.sourceforge.net
Hi guys,
I think this is the first announced version of 9mount, so a brief
introduction is in order. 9mount is a set of SUID 9p helper utilities
which make it more comfortable to play with namespaces under linux
(using v9fs). The current suite includes 9mount for mounting 9p
fileservers, 9umount for unmounting them, and 9bind for crazy bind
mounting fun.
The tools offer a level of security - 9mount will only let you mount
over non-sticky directories you have write access to, and 9umount will
only let you unmount 9p partitions that you mounted yourself. However,
the only place it is currently being used is on a terminal I have all
to myself - some careful testing is probably warranted before
deployment in a hostile environment.

With version 1.2, linux kernels newer than 2.6.24 are supported, and
9umount is more lenient about what counts as "mounted yourself" - you
are now free to unmount anything that has been mounted within your
home directory, which should hold us over until 2.6.25's mount-option
bug is fixed.
You can download 9mount from http://sqweek.dnsdojo.org/code/9mount/download
Comments welcome, as always!
-sqweek