vonets vap11g wifi bridge vs 9front

Alexander Shendi

Jan 18, 2013, 1:12:51 PM1/18/13
to 9fr...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have recently installed 9front on my netbook. The
builtin ethernet adapter is working, however
the builtin wifi is not.

So I bought a Vonets VAP11G wifi bridge, because
it is listed under "Known Working Hardware" in the
9front wiki. However it does not work out of
the box. Apparently I need to set the SSID and the
channel. How do I do that? Or do I need a Windows
PC to configure the thing?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards

- Alexander

s...@9front.org

Jan 18, 2013, 1:17:47 PM1/18/13
to 9fr...@googlegroups.com
> So I bought a Vonets VAP11G wifi bridge, because
> it is listed under "Known Working Hardware" in the
> 9front wiki. However it does not work out of
> the box. Apparently I need to set the SSID and the
> channel. How do I do that? Or do I need a Windows
> PC to configure the thing?

Someone claimed to have written a configuration program
for this device but never made the source available publicly.
I accomplished configuration by running the included CD-ROM
on Windows XP in VMware.

In the meantime I also acquired an Iogear GWU627 802.11n
bridge, which I was able to configure via its HTTP interface
using inferno's charon browser (apparently, ecmascript 1.0
was sufficient for this device's incredible javascript-generated
HTML).

-sl

Alexander Shendi

Jan 19, 2013, 3:59:36 AM1/19/13
to 9fr...@googlegroups.com
In the meantime I found a Linux based configuration
programm at http://github.com/philsmd/vap11g .
It does not work for me. I get a socket timeout.

The configuration protocol is documented at:
http://wiki.kainhofer.com/hardware/vap11g_wlan_bridge .

Maybe this helps someone. Alas I'm not proficient
enough in Plan 9 to write a driver.

Best Regards,

- Alexander