Battery ideas?

David Shields

May 3, 2018, 8:50:13 PM5/3/18
to 914 EV Googlegroups

Does anyone have a suggestion about buying a 120 volt, 100 AH (minimum) Lithium battery pack? My Porsche 914 conversion is about to need its third set of batteries and I'm really tired of using lead-acid AGM batteries.

I'm using an Elcon charger by the way.

Thanks,

David Shields

Peter C. Thompson

May 3, 2018, 10:27:39 PM5/3/18
to 91...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I guess it depends on your budget.  I did a google search for "custom EV battery pack 120v" and got a few hits.  One place is asking $7000 for a pack without BMS or charger.

Cheers, Peter

David Hale

May 3, 2018, 11:26:34 PM5/3/18
to 914ev
I've had good success with a Chevy Volt pack. You can find them at salvage yards. I paid $2500. The down side is that I paid that much again for a BMS. The Volt pack consists of seven 48v/45Ah modules and two 24v/45Ah modules. I bought a complete pack from a salvage yard, plus a couple of extra modules from someone else that did the same but didn't need the entire pack, and through a series/parallel combination ended up with 224v/90Ah. I have put about 20,000 miles on this pack over two years and it's still going strong. I'm also using an Elcon charger. Dave.

Stephen Federico

May 3, 2018, 11:26:53 PM5/3/18
to 91...@googlegroups.com
I can not say enough good things about buying a used Chevy Volt battery from a junkyard. You can do a search on  car-part.com/  and find the closest ones and compare how many miles they have on them and prices. I got my first one for about $2150 with under 25k miles on it about 3 years ago and then found a 2nd one at some guys house that I pulled out myself for $700. They're relatively simple to disassemble (buy yourself some 1000 volt gloves if you don't have them already) and I just watched one youtube video and was able to do it myself. A 120v string will be about 100lbs, and you can get 3 complete ones (I think if I remember correctly) from one battery. So your range will get a huge boost on top of the major weight loss.

My 2c

Stephen

David Shields

May 4, 2018, 8:41:12 AM5/4/18
to 91...@googlegroups.com

I can buy a used Nissan Leaf for $9,000 but I plan to keep my 914.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks Peter

May 4, 2018, 8:43:32 AM5/4/18
to 91...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Stephen, that's an excellent idea.

David Shields

May 4, 2018, 8:49:03 AM5/4/18
to 91...@googlegroups.com

This sounds like a winner to me.

Thanks Dave.

PS: I like astronomy too.

David

Sent: Friday, May 4, 2018 3:26 AM
To: 914ev

Richard M. Rodriguez

May 4, 2018, 6:25:20 PM5/4/18
to 91...@googlegroups.com
914 is way cooler

David Shields

May 5, 2018, 11:04:50 AM5/5/18
to 91...@googlegroups.com

You're so right Richard.

Your old odometer works great by the way.