I've driven my 914ev 1,203 miles so far this year

David Shields

Nov 2, 2017, 5:15:11 PM11/2/17
to 914 EV Googlegroups

I've had a lot of fun with my 914 EV this year. The only problem I've had is getting it to charge quickly. I put new AGM batteries in it and after that I just can't get it to charge in 8 or 9 hours like it used to.

Any suggestions?

#

Charge Date

Odometer Mileage

Hours to Charge

Miles Driven

Notes

1

2/25/2017

44,717

12

16.6

2

2/27/2017

44,732

12

17.4

3

3/9/2017

44,764

< 15

32

4

3/19/2017

44,788

13

24.3

5

3/22/2017

44,805

12

16.7

6

3/26/2017

44,824

12

19.1

Charged away from home.

7

3/28/2017

44,840

12

16.5

8

4/2/2017

44,861

12

20.6

9

4/13/2017

44,889

14.5

28.3

Charged away from home.

10

4/14/2017

44,910

13

21.2

11

4/21/2017

44,939

14

28.4

12

4/23/2017

44,955

15

15.7

13

4/27/2017

44,981

12.5

26.2

14

5/3/2017

44,997

< 12

16.7

15

5/13/2017

45,019

13

21.4

16

5/15/2017

45,048

> 14

29.4

17

5/16/2017

45,068

15

19.2

18

5/17/2017

45,089

12.5

20.8

19

5/26/2017

45,114

< 13.5

25.6

20

5/29/2017

45,131

11

17.2

21

6/1/2017

45,146

12

15.2

22

6/2/2017

45,170

9

23.2

23

6/8/2017

45,194

?

24.7

Gave up and went to bed after 11 hours

24

6/10/2017

45,212

11

18

25

6/20/2017

45,233

12

21

26

6/25/2017

45,257

13.5

24

Charged away from home.

27

6/26/2017

45,286

14

28.3

28

7/16/2017

45,306

14

20.7

Charged away from home.

29

7/25/2017

45,324

11.75

18

30

7/29/2017

45,340

11

15.9

31

7/30/2017

45,356

12

15.6

32

8/4/2017

45,378

?

21.7

Only 70% Charge after 12 hours.

33

8/6/2017

45,393

14

15.4

34

8/9/2017

45,412

13

18.7

Charged away from home.

35

8/10/2017

45,435

14

23.5

36

8/13/2017

45,457

14

22.1

37

8/14/2017

45,475

14

17.9

38

8/22/2017

45,491

14

15.8

39

8/23/2017

45,503

12

11.8

40

8/24/2017

45,521

12

18.1

41

8/27/2017

45,538

< 11

17.6

Charged away from home.

42

8/30/2017

45,565

14.5

26.8

43

8/31/2017

45,574

?

8.9

44

9/6/2017

45,587

10.5

12.5

Reprogrammed Elcon

 Charger to 4 blinks instead of 5.

45

9/7/2017

45,603

12

16.5

46

9/8/2017

45,620

< 11

16.7

47

9/9/2017

45,642

12

21.8

48

9/10/2017

45,661

≥ 12

19.1

49

9/17/2017

45,678

≥ 12

16.8

50

9/20/2017

45,688

≥ 12

10.1

Charged away from home.

51

9/21/2017

45,713

15

25.5

52

9/22/2017

45,732

<15

19.3

53

9/24/2017

45,749

13

16.1

54

9/25/2017

45,766

11

17.3

55

9/29/2017

45,781

14.5

15

56

10/1/2017

45,807

12

25.8

57

10/3/2017

45,825

12

18.3

58

10/4/2017

45,836

12

10.8

59

10/14/2017

45,847

< 11.5

11.1

60

10/17/2017

45,865

?

18.4

I fell asleep and let it go

all night. 21 hours total.

61

10/19/2017

45,883

12

17.9

62

10/22/2017

45,903

12

19.9

63

64

65

David Hale

Nov 2, 2017, 5:26:38 PM11/2/17
to 914ev
What is the capacity of the battery pack, how many Wh/mi do you consume, and what is the power output of the charger?

David Shields

Nov 3, 2017, 5:34:03 AM11/3/17
to 91...@googlegroups.com

I'm using (10) 12 volt, 100 amp hour AGM lead acid batteries for 120 volts. I have an Elcon on-board charger.

I need to buy a meter to measure the output of the charger. I suspect that is the next logical step.

What % of charge are you looking to replace at charging
George Ozer

Sent from my LG G3, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

From: 91...@googlegroups.com <91...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of David Hale >

David Hale

Nov 3, 2017, 9:17:40 AM11/3/17
to 914ev
A clamp on ammeter wouldn't hurt to have to confirm the charger is working, but for now, what is the *rated* output of the charger? Here's where I'm going with this; let's say the car uses 200 Wh/mi. After your 20 mi trip you'd have used 4000 Wh that you need to replace. An Elcon 2500 should be able to do that in about 5h on 110vac, half that on 220vac.

David Shields

Nov 3, 2017, 11:27:00 AM11/3/17
to 91...@googlegroups.com

I don't have an ammeter but I do have a shunt for one. I use a state of charge meter for my "gas gauge".

The manual shows a DC nominal output voltage of 120 volts at 9 amps.

I charge on 110vac.

Sent: Friday, November 3, 2017 1:17 PM

To: 914ev

David Hale

Nov 3, 2017, 11:35:43 AM11/3/17
to 914ev
9A @ 120v is 1kW so you should be able to replace a 20 mi drive in ~ 4 hr. Maybe your charger is doing some kind of "equalizing" that takes several hours? Maybe you're using more than 200 Wh/mi. But you're talking about 12 hr charge times, a factor of three from my estimate, so seems unlikely you're using ~ 600 Wh/mi. Maybe a combination of the above two things? Try to find out from Elcon exactly what your charger is doing, if you're using one of their charge curves.

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 8:26 AM, David Shields <dshie...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I don't have an ammeter but I do have a shunt for one. I use a state of charge meter for my "gas gauge".

The manual shows a DC nominal output voltage of 120 volts at 9 amps.

I charge on 110vac.

A clamp on ammeter wouldn't hurt to have to confirm the charger is working, but for now, what is the *rated* output of the charger? Here's where I'm going with this; let's say the car uses 200 Wh/mi. After your 20 mi trip you'd have used 4000 Wh that you need to replace. An Elcon 2500 should be able to do that in about 5h on 110vac, half that on 220vac.

David Shields

Nov 3, 2017, 7:27:22 PM11/3/17
to 91...@googlegroups.com

I'm going to put a meter on it and then have a little talk with
Elcon (again).

Thanks for the input David.

Sent: Friday, November 3, 2017 3:35 PM
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to 914ev+un...@googlegroups.com.

David Hale

Nov 3, 2017, 8:02:56 PM11/3/17
to 914ev
For what it's worth, I didn't make up the 200 Wh/mi figure; that's approximately what my car uses. Dave.

Stephen Federico

Nov 3, 2017, 10:46:15 PM11/3/17
to 91...@googlegroups.com
So glad to see some posts, I feel like I'm so late to the party on this group, having just recently joined. Here's my 914 after my "looks good from 7-12 feet away" paint job done in my garage during the Napa fires. Didn't know if we were going to have to evacuate and leave it behind for a while there, but thanks to our heroic firefighters, came through OK.

Keep the rubber side down my fellow 914ev-ers!

Stephen

20171018_171312.jpg

David Shields

Nov 4, 2017, 9:25:24 AM11/4/17
to 91...@googlegroups.com

I've always liked the people in the 914ev group. Such a wealth of knowledge.

Here's mine from 7-12 feet away.

I'm going to drive it today.

Nov 8, 2017, 9:18:25 PM11/8/17
to 91...@googlegroups.com
Hello just to let you know this message is a real shoot in the dark.  I have a modified 914 that is converted to electric and represents one too many projects in my garage/workshop and I was hoping that you might be able to provide contact information on anyone who might be interested in my 914 conversion.  In an attempt to minimize the weight to car has been gutted and is even without a windshield.  This car is not for anyone who wants a “regulation compliant daily commuter”.   This car might be appealing to a tinker, a school auto shop or someone looking for a project to play with.  It is also a collection of both electrical and mechanical components.  Some money exchange would be nice but not necessary.  I kept myself busy for a couple of years; I met lots of nice people but now it is time to move on and making space in my shop has become a priority.   Phil Binley, Bolinas, CA