Re: [914ev] Digest for 914ev@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Paul Jorgensem

Nov 27, 2015, 11:29:07 AM11/27/15
to 91...@googlegroups.com
This what i use and it has worked great for over five years.

I did make a couple modifications to it but it will work great without them. Remember that a power supply like this first converts the ac input into dc. So using a dc input is no different than an ac input for this type of device.

I replaced the dc rectifier with current limiters, put in higher voltage capacitors. and secured some of the parts better with rtv. See the following link for the details.

Look at

Paul Jorgensen

On Nov 27, 2015, at 04:11, 91...@googlegroups.com wrote:

David Shields <dshie...@hotmail.com>: Nov 26 01:33PM

I certainly hope it's the DC-DC converter as it's under warranty. I have the mess cleaned up and I drove the vehicle a short distance yesterday without a DC-DC converter. That's a prescription for disaster in the long term but not a big deal in the neighborhood.

I'm going to mail the converter back to the manufacturer tomorrow. They have offered to test it.

DC-DC converters have proved to be the most difficult part of the conversion process for me. I may ultimately switch to an alternator as they are more efficient than DC-DC converters.

So you like astronomy Dave? So do I.

David Shields

Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:08:44 -0800
Subject: Re: [914ev] Power Spike
From: astrono...@gmail.com
To: 91...@googlegroups.com

Your DC-DC looks exactly like mine which went bad, but I think I may have had a different problem. When I look at the photos (attached) it looks like it's the AC wires that fried.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/914ev.

Peter Thompson <pthomp...@gmail.com>: Nov 26 06:24PM -0800

I also had a DC-DC converter go south - for no clear reason. However, after
adding in fuses and replacing it with a new unit, no problems. It could
very well have ingested something that caused a short inside the converter
(that's my latest thoughts on my near disaster) - or it's just a piece of
junk not used to being in a hostile environment (e.g. vibration, heat). In
any case, I made sure that all of the connections were solid, and any place
that had a chance of letting the magic smoke out got a fuse.

Cheers, Peter

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 5:33 AM, David Shields <dshie...@hotmail.com>

David Shields

Nov 27, 2015, 3:41:59 PM11/27/15
to 914 EV Googlegroups
Thanks Paul.

A DLS-55 will work with a purely DC car?

From: p_jor...@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [914ev] Digest for 91...@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 11:28:57 -0500
To: 91...@googlegroups.com

David Hale

Nov 27, 2015, 4:10:35 PM11/27/15
to 91...@googlegroups.com
After my original DC-DC failed, I replaced it with an Iota DLS-55 and it worked just fine. I'm upgrading my traction pack to 216V so I am now installing this one,

David Shields

Nov 28, 2015, 3:24:58 AM11/28/15
to 914 EV Googlegroups
I've been using the one from EV Source. I can't fault their customer service.

I mailed it back to them for testing yesterday and I'm certainly hoping they find a flaw.

I drove my 914ev 6 miles yesterday (without a DC-DC converter). Everything seems fine. I think I had what Peter Thompson (of this group) called "a near disaster". That phrase has been in my mind lately.

Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 13:10:34 -0800
To: 91...@googlegroups.com