Auxiliary battery

David Shields

Jun 14, 2016, 2:11:59 AM6/14/16
to 914 EV Googlegroups
I have ruined 3 auxiliary batteries in 3 years. I charge these with an EV Source 500-DCDC -636 converter.

I've been using regular Autozone 60 amp hour car batteries as the auxiliary battery as I had one from an old car. I get the feeling that this is the wrong battery type. Autozone has been more than fair about this I may add.

Does anyone have any suggestions about a battery type to run my 12 volt applications? I was thinking about an AGM deep cycle but I'm open to suggestion.

Richard Rodriguez

Jun 15, 2016, 12:49:28 AM6/15/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
What 12v applications do you have?

David Shields

Jun 15, 2016, 8:31:18 AM6/15/16
to 914 EV Googlegroups
Horn, lights, radio, cigarette lighter, etc. The normal stuff.

From: rick...@san.rr.com
Subject: Re: [914ev] Auxiliary battery
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 21:49:26 -0700
To: 91...@googlegroups.com

Mark Brems

Jun 17, 2016, 2:14:48 AM6/17/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
I'm running all my accessories from the Zivan DC-DC converter,
and the auxiliary is only for emergencies. The DC-DC is also charging
the aux battery pack while the main contactor is engaged, or the pack
is charging.

Cheers!

David Shields

Jun 17, 2016, 7:55:24 AM6/17/16
to 914 EV Googlegroups
Thanks Mark, but what kind of battery do you use for the auxiliary?

From: mcb...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 23:14:47 -0700

David Hale

Jun 17, 2016, 12:28:41 PM6/17/16
to 914ev
I'm using a Lifeline GPL-U1T AGM battery. My DC-DC converter is the Iota 501-DLS-110-55-K, 636W, 53A, 120-370vdc in, 10.5-14.5vdc out, EVSource item #500-DCDC-636. I also have a dedicated charger just for the AGM battery which is powered when the car is plugged in to source power. This is a Powermania Turbo M212V2. Dave.

David Shields

Jun 17, 2016, 4:14:29 PM6/17/16
to 914 EV Googlegroups
Thank you Dave. That sounds good to me.

From: astrono...@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 09:28:40 -0700

To: 91...@googlegroups.com

I'm using a Lifeline GPL-U1T AGM battery. My DC-DC converter is the Iota 501-DLS-110-55-K, 636W, 53A, 120-370vdc in, 10.5-14.5vdc out, EVSource item #500-DCDC-636. I also have a dedicated charger just for the AGM battery which is powered when the car is plugged in to source power. This is a Powermania Turbo M212V2. Dave.

Mark Brems

Jun 17, 2016, 5:34:36 PM6/17/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
The blog link I sent has pictures and all relevant info:

"To assemble my auxiliary battery pack, I purchased four Headway H-38120P LiFePO4 cells
These cells are 3.2 VDC each, which result in 12.8 nominal volts when four are ganged
together in series. My meter showed an actual 13.4 volts of factory charge."

McB