RE: [914ev] Digest for 914ev@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Paul Jorgensen

Sep 9, 2015, 7:25:58 AM9/9/15
to 91...@googlegroups.com

Well actually there is a 2”  flexible heater duct made out of something that resembles paper and a metal spiral.. It is probably all deteoriated by now. That is the only thing I know of .

Sep 9, 2015, 11:39:52 AM9/9/15
to 91...@googlegroups.com
You're saying there are flexible ducts inside the duct in the floor? I'm talking about the short span from just behind the seat (in the engine compartment) to just behind the speaker. Flexible ducts connected to these ends, yes, but you think there were ducts inside this conduit? There didn't seem to be any in the driver's side.

David Shields

Sep 9, 2015, 1:01:34 PM9/9/15
to 914 EV Googlegroups
No, they were outside the ducts. Try a stiffer piece of wire to pull your cables through. That's what  I used. Keep at it and find a friend to help.

Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 08:39:51 -0700
From: astrono...@gmail.com
To: 91...@googlegroups.com

David Hale

Sep 9, 2015, 1:25:20 PM9/9/15
to 914ev
ok right, that makes sense. I'm definitely hung up on something inside. I may invest $23 in a USB endoscope if I can't get through tonight.

Mark Brems

Sep 9, 2015, 4:45:52 PM9/9/15
to 91...@googlegroups.com
Wrap tightly in tape, and create a taper. It will work.

David Shields

Sep 9, 2015, 4:55:31 PM9/9/15
to 914 EV Googlegroups
I would not call Rotorooter or get the sewer snake out just yet.

Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 10:25:19 -0700

David Shields

Oct 9, 2015, 5:40:26 AM10/9/15
to 914 EV Googlegroups

 I've been driving my 914 conversion for the last two years. It's pretty much my daily driver. I've fooled around with the brakes and it still doesn't stop fast enough for my taste.

I've added 660 lbs. to the car as I'm using lead acid batteries. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've considered powered brakes, brake assists and racing brakes.

Thanks.

David Shields

John RA Benson

Oct 9, 2015, 9:48:02 AM10/9/15
to 91...@googlegroups.com
It's been a long time for me to remember details, but I replaced them with BMW brakes.

If I recall it was pretty much a drop in fix, and it definitely helped make it feel more like a 'real' brake.

this has details:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_BMW_calipers/914_BMW_calipers.htm

I did the BMW calipers, new rotors, brake lines and 19mm master cylinder - everything that anyone suggested could make it better - and it did. I couldn't imagine driving again with the stock setup. It terrified me.

Cheers
JRAB

David Shields

Oct 9, 2015, 1:50:06 PM10/9/15
to 914 EV Googlegroups
Thanks JRAB.

Subject: Re: [914ev] Brakes
To: 91...@googlegroups.com
From: jr...@e-m-w.com
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 15:47:58 +0200

Randy Pollock

Oct 9, 2015, 1:55:36 PM10/9/15
to 91...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I used the BMW brakes on my V1 (lead acid) conversion, but moved to 911 brakes (much bigger calipers with vented rotors) on the v2 (lithium) conversion.  Both are bolt on conversions, but the 911 brakes require 5 lug wheels which my car already had.

I never drove the car with stock brakes after either conversion, so I can’t really say what the comparison was in stopping power.  The BMW brakes did seem pretty good with the lead pack.

Randy

David Shields

Oct 9, 2015, 5:49:29 PM10/9/15
to 914 EV Googlegroups
Thanks Randy.

From: ra...@alumni.caltech.edu
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:55:34 -0700
To: 91...@googlegroups.com

David Dymaxion

Oct 19, 2015, 1:37:44 PM10/19/15
to 91...@googlegroups.com
On a gasser I own and race, I could push on the brake pedal with all my might and still not skid the wheels (no antilocks in front) or get the antilocks to kick in (antilocks on the back). I know the antilock system worked because it is obvious it engages on ice. I swapped to Hawk HPS brake pads. Wow, what a huge difference. Now I could get full braking force with much less pedal pressure. They dust like mad (despite their claims to the contrary), but it is totally worth having to clean off dust once in a while.

Less likely an issue, but just to be sure, are you sure your brake pedal is not hitting the floor? Bad brake fluid can be spongy enough the pedal goes to the floor and you get mediocre braking. It would be a good idea to flush your braking fluid. I use Castrol SRF. It has very low compressibility and the brake pedal now stops half way like stepping on a brick -- very nice! Unfortunately it is $90 USD/liter, but you don't need to do it very often unless you do road racing (at least yearly and sometimes as often as every race then).

Unlikely, but easy to check, is for swelling brake hoses. Have someone step hard on the pedal while you look at the rubber brake hoses and make sure none of them swell under pressure. I have read claims that braided brake lines prevent virtually all swelling and make for a firmer brake pedal.

Oct 19, 2015, 4:01:50 PM10/19/15
to 91...@googlegroups.com
Just FTR, I rebuilt everything on my conversion (LiFePO4), including
larger master cyclinder, hoses, new calipers from PMB, and a used
stock brake pressure regulator. Pretty much stock.

My brakes feel sure, strong, and I have no creeping dissatisfaction
or desire to upgrade.

Cheers,
MB

David Shields