What is the latest thoughts on battery packs?

Peter Thompson

Jan 9, 2016, 11:53:22 PM1/9/16
to 914ev
Hi Folks,

I fear that my poor old CALB 60AH batteries are dying from the heat in San Diego.  I've been replacing bad ones with CALB 100AH, but can only do two more before I'm out of space.  I bought these batteries back in July 2009, and the 914 has been a daily driver for most of this time.

So.  For the current motor and controller (no-name from China), nominal voltage is 288V, and peak current is 330A.

I've been searching around, and there are a lot of newer batteries, including Leaf and Volt batteries, and am thoroughly confused.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Peter

Michael Brown

Jan 10, 2016, 5:23:43 AM1/10/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
The new series of CALB batteries is called CAM.  As Jack at EVTV says "Higher volumetric and gravimetric density for much smaller lighter packs. As much as 40% smaller and 20% lighter than the CA series cells."    Link for perusal for the 80 is http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=CAM80FI

Leaf and Volt and Tesla 18650 cells are a slightly different chemistry with different charge and discharge properties but now cheaper and more plentiful.

--

Mike Brown

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

David Hale

Jan 10, 2016, 11:07:56 AM1/10/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter, I'm installing Chevy Volt batteries. I'm not on the road yet so I can't say anything about their performance. I'm a terrible blogger but here are a few posts at least, with some information: http://914electric.blogspot.com
Dave

Mark Brems

Jan 11, 2016, 5:24:50 PM1/11/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
For what it's worth, Michael at EVWest says that they have had issues with the CAM cells,
due to the jacket being connected to the positive terminal. I asked about using the plastic
spacer sleeves, but got the impression they were steering away until the next gen fix in
this first quarter 2016. Don't have more than that. Any more info would be appreciated, for sure.

McB

Mark Brems

Jan 11, 2016, 5:33:42 PM1/11/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
Twin 914 EVs from Pelican Coffee & Cars this last Saurday.

Peter W. brought his silver sled from Laguna.

Michael Brown

Jan 11, 2016, 6:08:28 PM1/11/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
Jack found the same problem with the metal cans not very well insulated so he went with 1/16" spacers.

I may be in the market for new cells in 2016 so I'm happy to hear there's an improved model coming, thanks!

--

Mike Brown

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Peter Thompson

Jan 12, 2016, 6:20:19 AM1/12/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys.  I suspect that 100Ah batteries will be adequate, but haven't done the work to figure out how many will fit into the old Electro Auto battery racks.  I REALLY hope I don't have to rework them.

I'm going to investigate Leaf and Volt batteries some more.

Cheers, Peter

Michael Brown

Jan 12, 2016, 7:38:40 AM1/12/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
I did a 3D Sketchup of the ElectroAuto battery boxes, trying to fit in as many of the CALB CA180s as I could.  I'm about 8,000 miles away from home now, home in 3 weeks I'll send it to you if I remember...

--

Mike Brown

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Peter Thompson

Jan 12, 2016, 8:15:33 AM1/12/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
No rush - I'm "only" 6000 miles from home myself.  :)

Peter Thompson

Jan 26, 2016, 10:25:02 PM1/26/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael, are you back home yet?

Michael Brown

Jan 27, 2016, 4:40:36 AM1/27/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
In Istanbul for six more days, then home!

--

Mike Brown

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Mike Brown

Feb 23, 2016, 7:39:37 PM2/23/16
to 914ev
I'm finally back home.  I tried to load the 914 battery pack sketch (apparently done in SU V8) in the latest version and it seemed to work but some of the text is messed up.    Anyway, enjoy!
LithiumBatteryPack.skp

Peter Thompson

Feb 23, 2016, 7:41:26 PM2/23/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mike!

I'm having to put on hold any big changes to the car until next year.  I'm moving back north to the Bay Area (hopefully Santa Clara).

Cheers, Peter

Michael Brown

Feb 23, 2016, 8:22:20 PM2/23/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
Best of luck with the move!

--

Mike Brown

Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Mark Brems

Feb 24, 2016, 3:01:30 PM2/24/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, That was Carl Winefordner, not Peter W.

I have been investigating the Tesla Model S modules. There are 16 of them per battery pan,
and 25 volts per module at 229Ah each.

Here is a link to an info sheet with more detail:

MB

Peter Thompson

Aug 18, 2016, 11:40:35 PM8/18/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone looked into leaf batteries? I'm hearing on the order of $4000 for a leaf pack.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/914ev.

David Shields

Aug 19, 2016, 8:58:46 AM8/19/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com

You can get a used 2013 Leaf for $10,500 at CarMax. https://www.carmax.com/search#Distance=250&FreeText=Nissan%20Leaf&Zip=40297

I've seen them as low as $8,000. I would love to find a smashed up one to rebuild, as long as I can get it cheap. Then again, I've been driving my 914 a lot and really having fun with it.

I am amazed by the pace of battery improvements over the last couple of years. Tesla is the gold standard as far as I'm concerned.

Aug 19, 2016, 9:31:47 AM8/19/16
to 914ev
hi Peter, no first hand experience here, but I seem to remember coming across a site that was selling them at one time. I'll see if I can dig that up again. Meanwhile, to find people using them, try diyelectriccar.com. Also search evalbum.  I found a couple, just searching for the term "leaf" (but you have to wade through all of the actual Leafs).

This might've been where I saw them for sale (besides eBay)...

Dave

Mark Brems

Aug 22, 2016, 7:15:49 PM8/22/16
to 91...@googlegroups.com