News Items (8/31/21)

ARNOLD KOROTKIN

Aug 31, 2021, 6:35:24 AM8/31/21
to 911-li...@googlegroups.com

3-D Pop Artist Charles Fazzino Unveils New Commissioned Piece at Museum View Blog Post

FREE Streaming Event, Award-Winning 9/11 Documentary Film

On September 11, 2001, producer Jacki Ochs, who lived blocks from the Twin Towers, was forced to evacuate her family. Days later, director Susanna Styron began volunteering at Ground Zero. The following year, as the site closed and the city and country moved on, the two filmmakers felt compelled to address the ongoing trauma by telling a story of hope and healing.  This became the award-winning documentary film “9/12: From Chaos to Community,” which is being re-released for streaming, in honor of the 20th anniversary of 9/11.

You can stream FOR FREE from Thursday, September 9 through Monday, September 13 by registering at www.912film.com/register.  You will receive a promo code to use at checkout, after clicking on the “Rent” option from our website during this timeframe.

“9/12” tells the story of a group of dedicated New Yorkers who volunteer at Ground Zero and form unexpected -- even unlikely -- bonds with first responders and with each other. Through their stories, we present a portrait of the city within a city that was Ground Zero, and examine how a diverse group of people transcended politics and culture in an effort to heal their city and themselves.

To learn more, and to rent or buy the film any time, please go to www.912film.com.
We hope you will share this information with your listserv members.

Respectfully,
Susanna Styron and Jacki Ochs

“It’s about Ground Zero, but more broadly it’s about the extraordinary sense of solidarity, fellow-feeling, and, yes, patriotism that was experienced by nearly everyone in New York, and maybe everyone in the country, in the days and weeks after the attack. This is a moving picture in more ways than one. The milk of human kindness flows through it, mixed with tears.” -- Hendrik Hertzberg, The New Yorker

“Having witnessed part of that effort myself, I am especially grateful to the filmmakers for capturing so poignantly and accurately the shared feelings of awe, camaraderie, loss, and love that brought everyday people together in our city's greatest time of need.” -- Steve Buscemi, actor, former firefighter

 “A poem to a group of everyday New Yorkers who discover in themselves a quiet greatness born from the darkness of 9/11.” -- Academy Award-winning director Davis Guggenheim

Dear Friends, Family Members and Supporters:

Ticket sales for our 20 Years Later:
Peace and Justice Film Festival
have begun!

Explore our on-demand catalogue HERE and find more details about our upcoming panels by clicking HERE.

Promote the festival by reaching out to your alma mater, by sharing information about it with your teacher friends, your network of contacts and by posting about it on your own socal media pages using the hashtag #20yearslater. In addition, please insert one of our social media handles into your posts: for instagram we use @peacefultomorrows, for facebook and twitter we use @PeacefulTomorro.

For those among you who received a promotional T-shirt of the film Finding Our Voices, please post a fun image of you wearing the T-shirt on your social media accounts and hashtag #20yearslater
TOMORROW
Tuesday, August 31 between 9am and 1pm EST.

#20yearslater

THANK YOU!

If you are unable to read this, please download the pdf version here.
To Commemorate the 20th Anniversary of 9/11,
NYDIS Invites You to Join Us at Two Events We Are Co-Sponsoring:
9/11 Interfaith Peace Walk

Join us and our partners on Thursday, September 9th as we walk with NYC faith community leaders to commemorate, since 9/11, 20 years of unity and peacebuilding with faith leaders from around the city. #NeverForget

Following CDC guidelines we ask all participants to wear a mask, to protect the health of their fellow New Yorkers. Masks will be available if needed.

To volunteer, please contact Hanadi Doleh at han...@interfaithcenter.org.

9/11 Healing & Remembrance

To mark the 20th Anniversary of 9/11, we invite you to a gathering for healing and remembrance on Saturday, September 11th from 8AM-1PM at the Salvation Army (address below). Victim families, responders, volunteers, impacted residents and other providers and supporters are all welcome. The event is closed to the press.

This will be an opportunity to reflect on the loss and long-term impacts of the terrorist attacks that took place on September 11th, 2001 - with a streaming of the official Reading of the Names from the World Trade Center Memorial at Ground Zero. Support will be offered by emotional and spiritual care providers. Opportunity will be provided to participate in health and wellness activities and artistic and creative outlets guided by art therapists. Providers will be on-site with information about current services available to those victim’s families, responders, residents, and others impacted.

This event will follow all CDC recommendations and other guidelines set forth by New York State and New York City. Proof of vaccination will be required for entry. Physical vaccine cards, the NY COVID Safe app, and the Excelsior Pass app will all be accepted with matching photo ID.

To register FREE, click on the below image or visit salarmy.us/911
New York Disaster Interfaith Services | 4 West 43rd Street - Suite 407New York, NY 10036