News Items (9/4/21)

ARNOLD KOROTKIN

Sep 4, 2021, 5:35:20 AM9/4/21
to 911-li...@googlegroups.com

Join the September 11 Day of Service

9/11 Day of Service

This September 11 marks 20 years since the terror attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Each year, AmeriCorps helps commemorate 9/11 Day. The day salutes those who served the country and helps people find ways to engage in acts of service.

This year, thousands of Americans of all ages and backgrounds are expected to participate. Service projects range from disaster preparation activities and neighborhood cleanups, to food drives and home repairs. In many areas, volunteers plan to honor veterans, soldiers, or first responders by collecting donations, assembling care packages, and writing thank you letters.

The 9/11 Day website lets visitors search for volunteer activities in their area. You can filter your search by category, including such topics as emergency response, first aid, and food distribution.

FEMA also offers opportunities to get involved in the community through the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program. CERTs educate volunteers about disaster preparedness for the hazards that may impact their area. The program trains volunteers in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, and disaster medical operations. Read more...

SEPTEMBER 2021

SEPTEMBER 7 - 12: Don't miss out! Reflect on the 20 years since September 11th by attending our film festival with themes of peace and justice. There is an incredible line up of films and each is paired with panels featuring 9/11 families, global peacemakers, and film directors engaging in important discussions. Get tickets now! https://watch.eventive.org/20yearslater #20yearslater #peace #justice #filmfestival. Go to the festival page on our website to learn more and obtain educational resources for each film: CLICK HERE.

SEPTEMBER 9: Join hands and prayers led by NYC faith leaders as we walk together in commemoration, unity, and peace building. The event will begin at 5pm outside St. Patrick's Cathedral. To join the walk of solidarity against injustice, hate and discrimination please REGISTER HERE.

SEPTEMBER 19: We are being honored by the Al Filipov Peace and Justice Forum as we look back on 20 years of peace advocacy and towards our ongoing work to help create a more peaceful future. One of our co-founders and dedicated Guantánamo Committee chair, Colleen Kelly, will be representing us at the event. CLICK HERE for more details.

************

RULE OF LAW COMMITTEE:
AMICUS BRIEF FILED to the Supreme Court on behalf of respondent in U.S. v Abu Zubayah - a case which obliquely involves state secrets privilege. We also resume travel to Guantánamo to observe pre-trial hearings of the 9/11 accused. Stay tuned.

NEWLY PUBLISHED: Crossing The Rift
Edited by former North Carolina poet laureate Joseph Bathanti and Peaceful Tomorrows founding member David Potorti, this new book of poetry illuminates not only what happened that day of 9/11/01, but what continues to challenge us #20yearslater: Islamophobia, the vilification of refugees and asylum seekers, nationalism, supercharged military budgets, and rises in virulent racism and domestic terrorism. David was the former Literature and Theater Director for the North Carolina Arts Council.

CONNECT WITH US:

Co-Sponsoring Our Film Festival Are:

Other Partners Are:

ONLINE LEARNING:

We offer recorded webinars exploring issues of peace, justice, reconciliation, trauma and lessons we've learned after being personally affected by 9/11. CLICK HERE to access both webinars and discussion guides.