Below are summaries with URLs to news articles on the effort to ensure that the World Trade Center Health Program is fully funded. An archive of past articles year by year can by found on the Citizens for the Extension of the James Zadroga Inc. website here.
May 2, 2025 — Newsday — Promises broken by Trump on health care for 9/11 responders
David Prezant, the director and chief medical officer of the FDNY’s WTC Health Program, reported that on Wednesday alone, he was unable to certify or authorize treatment for three patients — one of whom has life-threatening pancreatic cancer.
May 2, 2025 — Fox 5 New York — Advocates say 9/11 illness care still in crisis despite restored funds
DOGE cut 20% of the staff last year, and advocates say many of those positions have yet to be filled, leaving sick responders facing long delays for appointments.
May 2, 2025 — ABC News — 9/11 health care program restores cancer treatment certifications amid weeks of uncertainty
Certification is the process by which the federal program confirms that a 9/11-related illnesses qualify for treatment or compensation.
May 2, 2025 — The Chief — Transit crews who worked at ground zero still awaiting disability benefit
“Maybe this time around, when the story ends the way it ended — a guy fighting and he lost his life — it’s like, you know, that’s what they’re waiting for here,” Philip Ronnie Jr. said. “Maybe somebody will have a little bit of compassion and listen this time around — hopefully.”
May 1, 2025 — NY Daily News — World Trade Center health program resumes treatments after outcry
A Department of Health and Human Services official informed doctors and administrators in the World Trade Center Health Program that all services could resume, according to an email obtained by the News.
May 1, 2025 — CBS News New York — World Trade Center Health Program’s status remains in the dark, leaving many 9/11 first responders in limbo
Advocates say many 9/11 first responders are currently in limbo, waiting for life-saving care.
May 1, 2025 — WPLG Local 10 — 9/11 victims outraged after program helping them receive medical care is at risk
Victims of the 9/11 terror attacks say the program providing them medical care can no longer accept new patients because its director has yet to be re-instated.
May 1, 2025 — Rockland/Westchester Journal News — 9/11 healthcare: When will World Trade Center program cuts be restored? What we know now
The issue is directly linked to the absence of Dr. John Howard, who had led the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health as well as the 9/11 health program.
May 1, 2025 — ABC News — As health program stalls and certifications stop, some critically ill 9/11 responders are left without care
The World Trade Center Health Program is at a standstill, an FDNY official said.
May 1, 2025 — Fire and Safety Journal Americas — How Many People Died in 9/11?
This article provides a thorough examination of exactly how many people died in 9/11, both during the attacks themselves and in the years that followed.
May 1, 2025 — ABC News — 9/11 health program turning away critically ill first responders
The World Trade Center Health Program can no longer certify illnesses, enroll new members or approve life-saving treatments like chemotherapy or lung transplants.
April 30, 2025 — The Journal-News — World Trade Center Health Program faces cuts
Gary Smiley, a former FDNY paramedic and 9/11 first responder, is concerned about cuts to the World Trade Center Health Program.
April 30, 2025 — PIX 11 — 9/11 community faces challenges accessing WTC Health Program due to cuts
John Feal, of the FealGood Foundation, told PIX11 News, “The lead doctor at the FDNY had to turn away three firefighters with cancer.”
April 30, 2025 — Newsday — Advocates lament status of rehired World Trade Center Health Program leader
Advocates for the World Trade Center Health Program are raising alarms that the agency’s leader — Dr. John Howard — has yet to be reinstated nearly a month after the White House assured lawmakers he would be restored following a blitz of cuts.
April 30, 2025 — Citizens for the Extension of the James Zadroga Act — Dr. John Howard was NOT Reinstated as Administrator of the World Trade Center Health Program
While Rep. Garbarino (R-NY) and colleagues were told by HHS that Howard was being restored—and they announced that in good faith—the truth is he was not restored as Director of the WTCHP and has apparently been in limbo since then.
April 30, 2025 — Rockland/Westchester Journal News — World Trade Center Health Program: Do Trump cuts imperil sickened responders? What we know
People who work with the 9/11 community say the program, and the people who need it, have not escaped unscathed.
Citizens for the Extension of the James Zadroga Act Inc. c/o NYS AFL-CIO 100 South Swan Street Albany, NY 12210 United States |