one API key - multiple devices

avarma...@gmail.com

Aug 27, 2014, 3:25:29 PM8/27/14
to 7digit...@googlegroups.com
I just want to do a sanity check before I spend time coding this feature.

My mobile app would use the API key to connect 7digital - retrieve the songs / music that the app needs - and play (stream) that music on the device.

1. Is there any restriction on number of devices that can use that API key (same USER)?
2 Is there any restriction on number of USERS that can use that API key (different USERS)?

filip

Aug 28, 2014, 6:13:47 AM8/28/14
to 7digit...@googlegroups.com, avarma...@gmail.com
Hi,

generally there are no restrictions on number of users or devices that can use a single API key but we do recommend to use dedicated API keys for separate code bases, e.g. if you're building an iphone app, android app and a web site we'd suggest to use 3 separate API keys.

But for full-length streaming services this might vary depending on your licenses with content owners (i.e. music labels) and their requirements for your specific use case. Please note that we can provide access to streaming functionality only if you hold these licenses.

Thanks
Filip
7digital

This email, including attachments, is private and confidential. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Emails are not secure and may contain viruses. No liability can be accepted for viruses that might be transferred by this email or any attachment. Any unauthorised copying of this message or unauthorised distribution and publication of the information contained herein are prohibited.

7digital Limited. Registered office: 69 Wilson Street, London EC2A 2BB.
Registered in
England and Wales. Registered No. 04843573.
Message has been deleted

avarma...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2014, 9:25:13 PM9/9/14
to 7digit...@googlegroups.com, avarma...@gmail.com
Filip: Thanks for your response. What if the app uses the on-demand, interactive streaming?  Does the same hold true (multiple users, single API key)? And is there any other limitation on the on-demand streaming (song duration, number of songs etc.)?

Thanks
Av

  • On demand, Interactive streaming - our platform supports full interactive on demand streaming where the user has access to our entire catalogue in the cloud, and we hold both label and publishing licenses.  These rights are generally quite expensive, the infrastructure is highly complex, and the business model requires large-scale adoption in order to succeed.

filip

Sep 10, 2014, 9:25:11 AM9/10/14
to 7digit...@googlegroups.com, avarma...@gmail.com
Hi Av,

yes you'd use single API key for multiple users for on demand streaming as well, as for other limitations these would be dependent on the contracts you'd negotiate with the labels. We'd need more details on your service to advise further - feel free to email us at a...@7digital.com

Thanks
Filip