Rim brake rear hubs?

Piper Alldredge

Jun 23, 2024, 4:56:21 PMJun 23
to 650b
What are y'all using these days? I rode my deore into the ground and need to rebuild the wheel with a new hub. The cheapest  (and probably easiest) option is to buy another deore, but I'm curious about the Silver hubs. 135 OLD and 8/9 speed. Not looking for anything fancy, but do want something serviceable that can take a beating.

David Cummings

Jun 24, 2024, 12:32:02 PM (13 days ago) Jun 24
to 650b
Silver hubs is that the brand of model?

I use an older VO Silver hub on my NFE. I don’t have quite 1000 miles on it yet, but so far so good - I’ve basically downhilled on it many times. Still not inexpensive, but on special at VO: https://velo-orange.com/collections/specials/products/rear-cassette-hub-silver-and-noir

David in MT

David Cummings

Jun 24, 2024, 2:12:44 PM (13 days ago) Jun 24
to Brendan West, 650b
Id bet dollars to donuts that they’re made by the same Taiwanese company. The VO is currently $50 less for the rear and shinier. 😉

David in MT

William Lindsay

Jun 24, 2024, 4:16:45 PM (13 days ago) Jun 24
to 650b
I agree with David that the Velo Orange offering looks pretty good at $100, assuming 32-hole is what you want, because V-O doesn't have 36.  I would be equally confident with the Rivendell Silver at $150.  The hub I personally stocked up on is Shimano M737 "parallax", which can be had secondhand.  I have a bunch for the inter-swappability of parts, plus that Shimano QR Skewer was maybe the best ever in terms of easy clamping power.  Keep the Skewer from your Deore hub if the hub is toast.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Piper Alldredge

Jun 24, 2024, 5:03:24 PM (13 days ago) Jun 24
to 650b
Thanks all! Since David asked, these are the silvers: https://www.rivbike.com/products/hub-new-silver-rear-hub

I am looking for 36 hole. I hadn't thought about the VO, I'll take a look for comparison, but I am looking for 36h. I see some deore LX on ebay, but they all look like the newer made in malaysia ones. That's what I'll be replacing, I got about 5 years out of this hub, several all-road tours and many camping trips, so I can't really complain. But I am disappointed with the level of pitting and not being able to service it without ordering a donor hub.

lena...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2024, 6:37:56 AM (13 days ago) Jun 25
to 650b
The last rear rim I wore out was laced to a DT Swiss 240 hub. The bearings held up impeccably for me and the freehub was easy to clean and regrease. I see them come up used from time to time at agreeable prices.

Will Boericke

Jun 25, 2024, 11:04:00 AM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to 650b

+1 on DT Swiss.  More expensive than Shimano basic hubs but will last indefinitely.  They're pretty much the only hub I use now.  But I'd use a Bitex if I actually couldn't find a DT Swiss rear at the price I wanted.  Both are sealed bearing - will not need to be replaced off a decade in all likelihood.  Only down side: if you don't like some noise with your hubs.  18t ratchet is pretty quiet, 54t (my preference) can be loud.

Will

Piper Alldredge

Jun 25, 2024, 12:35:25 PM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to 650b
Hmmm, DT Swiss is an option I had not considered. BUT, I don't see these in 36h, and they are quite pricey. And I know exactly nothing about Bitex. Looks like the BX103R would be the model to use, any experience out there with this hub? Just giving these a quick look over, and I wonder if these are the people making the Silver hubs?

Chintan Jadwani

Jun 25, 2024, 12:54:54 PM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to Piper Alldredge, 650b
Got the bitex touring hubs when Analog cycles had their sale last year. I would recommend to get them...maybe at the sale price if it comes up again

Will Boericke

Jun 25, 2024, 1:02:09 PM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to chintan...@gmail.com, piper.a...@gmail.com, 65...@googlegroups.com

Check out Bikehubstore for Bitex.  But I forgot about your 36° requirement.  Not sure either of my suggestions will help you.  The silver hubs are surely made by one of this big Asian hub manufacturers: Novatec, Bitex, etc.  With 36°, you might be limited to Shimano, VO, or Riv.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "650b" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/650b/CAFRZJC1GR5-7nGZ2ejNRwLm6uJqAV08CO0fPKLMDnNqGKKrUjA%40mail.gmail.com.

Piper Alldredge

Jun 25, 2024, 1:07:39 PM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to 650b
Looks like I can get the Bitex in 36h/135 in black from either Analog or straight from Bitex ($171 vs. $160), or the Silver, same specs for $150. The only thing I haven't been able to discern: is the Bitex sealed bearing or cup and cone. Anyone know?

Chris Cullum

Jun 25, 2024, 1:28:48 PM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to Piper Alldredge, 650b

On Tue, Jun 25, 2024, 10:07 Piper Alldredge <piper.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looks like I can get the Bitex in 36h/135 in black from either Analog or straight from Bitex ($171 vs. $160), or the Silver, same specs for $150. The only thing I haven't been able to discern: is the Bitex sealed bearing or cup and cone. Anyone know?

Bitex hubs are cartridge bearing.

I'm surprised you killed the Deore hubs. I've found if you keep the bearings serviced periodically and make sure that they adjusted properly, they are well sealed and last a very long time. You have to adjust the bearings from the factory however (just a tiny bit of play that gets taken out when the skewer is clamped). Adding a bit of grease when adjusting the initial bearing preload is a good idea. I would have recommended another set of those or LX or XT if you can find them in 36° rim brake. The QR centerlock ones also work fine for rim brake.

Piper Alldredge

Jun 25, 2024, 2:08:57 PM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to 650b
I think Bay Area winters (and summers) + a few recent trips with a lot of creek crossings and that hub met its match. A bearing came loose, so I had a shop service it and they ended up replacing a cone.  But, after a trip out to Pt. Reyes (plus some trails on Mt. Tam), the hub loosened up again and I had to ride it loose back into the city about 20 miles. I'm pretty patient when it comes to adjusting things like this, but I haven't been able to get it back to a good place, it is very pitted.

Will Boericke

Jun 25, 2024, 3:25:48 PM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to piper.a...@gmail.com, 65...@googlegroups.com

I haven't bought from this eBay seller but they've been selling Bitex hubs for a while.  $120, looks like they can get 36h.  $120

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254828754395?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8nQzLhDyRgu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=-lqEHo4GQP6&var=555150591625&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Will Boericke

Jun 25, 2024, 3:26:37 PM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to piper.a...@gmail.com, 65...@googlegroups.com

Shoot, disc.  Forgot about that.

Brad

Jun 25, 2024, 3:26:52 PM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to 650b
You may also want to consider the hubs Grand Bois has on offer.  https://cyclesgrandbois.com/SHOP/785129/list.html

Will Boericke

Jun 25, 2024, 3:27:43 PM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to piper.a...@gmail.com, 65...@googlegroups.com

Rashid Khan

Jun 25, 2024, 8:38:41 PM (12 days ago) Jun 25
to 650b
Note that the seller is in Israel and shipping takes a very very long time.

Brad

Jun 26, 2024, 5:58:49 PM (11 days ago) Jun 26
to 650b
Also the RAR8 which will fit a 120mm or 126 mm back end without cold setting is only available in 32 holes.  Sadly I have a supply of 36 holes rims (Confrerie des 650b ZR -19 formerly made by Ambrosio in the same extrusion- see  https://www.xxcycle.fr/13052-jante-ambrosio-keba-650b-argent-36-trous-confreriale.html   )

Will Boericke

Jun 26, 2024, 6:56:58 PM (11 days ago) Jun 26
to riendeau...@gmail.com, 65...@googlegroups.com

Time to get funky with the lacing: 32h hub to 36h rim

Brendan West

Jun 28, 2024, 10:15:52 PM (9 days ago) Jun 28
to David Cummings, 650b
Silver is Rivendell’s components brand. I was eyeing that for when my own 105 hub needed to be replaced, but that’s years off. Also have my eye on the Grand Bois rear hub, if anyone has experience with those let me know what you think. Sure is a beaut.

On Jun 24, 2024, at 12:38, David Cummings <flath...@gmail.com> wrote:

Silver hubs is that the brand of model?

I use an older VO Silver hub on my NFE. I don’t have quite 1000 miles on it yet, but so far so good - I’ve basically downhilled on it many times. Still not inexpensive, but on special at VO: https://velo-orange.com/collections/specials/products/rear-cassette-hub-silver-and-noir

David in MT

ThermionicScott

Jul 6, 2024, 2:56:44 PM (yesterday) Jul 6
to 650b
You can always use a "disc" hub on a rim-brake wheel, assuming the axle connection is correct for your frame.

- Scott in CR

David Cummings

1:24 AM (19 hours ago) 1:24 AM
to ThermionicScott, 650b
Especially if it’s center lock, it doesn’t shout, “I’m a disc break hub!”

Sent from Dave's rockin' iPhone